Recently Purchased (3 Viewers)

Records27May009.jpg

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave LP
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Stone Flower LP
Just spun Wave so far. Very pleasant listening on a sunny evening.

Records27May010.jpg

Cal Tjader - Several Shades Of Jade LP
Cal Tjader - Doxy 2xLP

Several Shades is probably the best CT I've heard to date. Each track is perfectly formed and intricate. Doxy is compiled from four previous Verve LPs - anyone know exactly which ones? Varying styles - favourite so far is Moanin'

Records27May011.jpg

Nancy Ames - Spiced With Brasil LP
Well known choice. Nice record and just as good as Latin Pulse

Leny Andrade - Estamos Ai LP
Need to play this one a bit more - nothing immediate yet.

Records27May012.jpg

Various - More Drums On Fire LP
Five track sampler from 1959 on Vogue Records. Sonny Payne track is probably the strongest - fairly percussive stuff.

Mark Murphy - Mark Time LP
Spun this twice in a row. Like it lots. Great backing tracks.

Wilson Pickett - Greatest Hits 2xLP
Decent 1973 selection.

Records27May013.jpg

All 12 Robert Pollard Happy Jack Singles Club 45s.

Records27May014.jpg

The Kinks - Kink Kronikles 2xLP.
NM Reprise LP. An upgrade from a G-. One of my favourite comps ever.

Michel Legrand - Le Sauvage OST LP
Main theme is great, rest pretty ok.

Records27May015.jpg

Varese - Density 21,5 Hyperprism LP
Robert Craft Symphony Orchestra. Fairly abrasive sounding stuff.

Quincy Jones - The Italian Job OST LP
Never liked the 2000 reissue so this does the job nicely. EX.

great
Dorothy Ashby - presume Dusty Groove reissue?

Yep, complete impulse buy, I hadn't heard of her before...I popped into Sounds of the Universe to buy the new Kluster 3CD set, but it was sold out so I just picked up whatever looked promising. Any other Dorothy Ashby albums you'd recommend?

Cult of luna-eternal kingdom(cd)
Rotting sound-ep(7")
Tragedy-nerve damage(lp)
more drum stuff

What's that all about?

from this blog

Finally finished A Monument to British Rock tonight in a single sides-three-through-six sitting. I had already listened to Side 3 a week ago, but needed a refresher and the album flowed along very nicely from there and I easily went the distance. Three of the six sides are by the Phil Todd/Ben Reynolds/Alex Neilson trio as heard extensively on the Love That Whirrs CD for Last Visible Dog - together they play a weird shuffling skiffling free-folk meets negative-space fusion/drone hybrid, here for three side-longers. Side 4 is also a side-longer in which the duo of Phil Todd and Melanie Crowley achieve the same feel but with no drums, and less of the relatively rococo string action that Reynolds brings. Sides 1 and 5 are Phil Todd solo and each feature four shorter overdubbed tracks. Side 5 is my favorite one of the whole thing, with each track a separate brilliant glowing setting, more varied than the strange 'electro-tampura' drone-fields he plays on the jam sides, which aren't especially distinguishable from each other, but in a good way that fully inhabits a rich weird atmosphere that really doesn't have much to do with British Rock or anything else except maybe some strange unnamed symptoms of the universe and how they play out when you're lazing on a sunny afternoon. Nice fat LP sleeve too for those three slabs, cool B&W graphics.

Yep, complete impulse buy, I hadn't heard of her before...I popped into Sounds of the Universe to buy the new Kluster 3CD set, but it was sold out so I just picked up whatever looked promising. Any other Dorothy Ashby albums you'd recommend?

Afro Harping. Easy enough pick up on CD now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back