REAPER HEADMELT AREA (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 261
  • Views 30K
  • Watchers 4
i'm going to be figuring out all the send business in the next recording binge, i'll let you know what i find as i've some outboard i'm planning to utilise when the time comes.

Shaney; ..you just double click the file in Reaper and Audacity will open it(I'm assuming you set audacity as editor in yer Reaper Prefs)when it opens in Audacity do yer biz then press save.Close audacity and the file will be changed in place in reaper.Simples!

Thanks Pop Whore, I've set audacity as the external editor and i can open the files in audacity from reaper its just not saving the changes or importing them to reaper. Its not a huge problem, just a bit of a drag pricking around slicing files and muting segments etc when i could just silence bits in audacity.

Shaney..if you change the file in audacity it will changed permanently ..are you pressing SAVE or SAVE as?

I dont think the options are as simple as that. I will have another look later but I think it was just giving me the option to Save project. I tried to export the file and replace the one in the reaper project folder with the new one but it wasn't having any of that. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet with this and start reading instructions.

Thanks Ann, that will do the trick in this case alright. Odd that you can't just record the send though.

i'm going to be figuring out all the send business in the next recording binge, i'll let you know what i find as i've some outboard i'm planning to utilise when the time comes.

I found nothing, did you?? I got my outboard almost working though apart from doing something stupid that left me sitting in silence for a good 15 mins.

nah, havent bothered with it too much, i have used the physical sends to do it once or twice. I did have a bit of a look at the routing matrix thingy but with the same result - didn't manage to record a send. is that just another way of looking at the i/o options on individual tracks?

What kind of outboard did you get?

music making in general is melting me head. havent turned on reaper for a couple of weeks now

my setup now is:

drawmer mx30 compressor
a microverb 3 reverb
boss gx700 guitar fx
ART preamp
all tied with a patchbay
into a focusrite pro 40

Its a whole new world to me the amount of shit you can do with various combinations of the above - latest thing was compressed big muffed bass into large room reverb for pissed off sounding whale vibes.

Thats class.I badly need to upgrade my interface too.The one I have is pants.I've no firewire card though and I'm a bit sketchy about usb...although I'm sure usb works grand.I was hankering after new monitors..but I'm getting great results with my msp5's now after the balls up I made of me lp.I've stopped doing what sounds shit and now everything sounds cool!

I still need new monitors though.

Gladly Anto.Which part though?Edit..I'm guessing it the bit about the lp.....

Well,in all the rushing and excitement but mostly the rushing I made a few rudimentary errors that if I had have taken the time to even check my mixes on different systems I wouldnt have made.

Error No.1....I recorded approx. an average of 50 tracks per song.There was never a need for that much.But it sounded amazing in the studio.In hindsight though,the end product was way too dense and therefore lost a good deal of dynamics..which woulda better served the type of shit I make.

Error No.2..I double tracked all the rhythm guitars.This was a folly of the highest order,that whilst sounding great on reference speakers,merely served to create a featureless texture on domestic stereos.I now only record a single mono rhytm guitar track.And it sounds HUGE

Error No.3.....I did the vocals on many of the tunes BEFORE the music was fully tracked.This was a major booboo because the performance captured wasnt always right for the finished mix.By which time,due to unreasonable self-imposed time constraints I was unable to face redoing.Bad move that.

Error Number 4..I used a bass amp.Never again.DI bass from here on out.The dynamics lost in capturing a bass amp(on zero budget) as compared to using a DI cant be underestimated.

Error No.6....I recorded too many drum tracks in one day.6 is the most any drummer should be expected to do in one session.The law of diminshing returns kicks in very quickly and fixing single kick drum hits after the fact is something I never intend to get involved with again.Its a horrible and wholey unsatisfactory process.

Error No.7...I listened to to many external opinions during the production..which only lead me to suffer anxiety and stress the likes of which I never want to experience again.In future,I shall rely on my own ears.

Theres a few more..like having a properly tuned snare drum-essential.Making sure the guitar solos are loud enough....I cant believe I fucked that one up..and hmmm theres more..

Anyway,my monitors are up to the job because I have employed all this knowlege on the new Moutpiece record and sure as shit stinks..it sounds like it coulda been recorded in a pro studio..and its a lot quicker process.So,I am very happy that the lp went over so well but I count myself very lucky that it did.From here on out however all my productions will shimmer and shine and be airy and loud.

Fuck it, everyones remastering and re-releasing shit these days. Lash it out again & call it a special edition sher

Y'know Santino,I'm gonna do just that man.Call it a greatest hits or something

That's excellent Gaz. Thanks. I think the Mound made a good few of those mistakes too on Go Forth And Amplify. It's a natural musician response to suddenly having access to endless tracks. Something we tried very hard to avoid on the next album, My Whole Life Is Have To. And I do believe it worked.
I've used a lot of guitar tracks on this project I'm working on now but tried not to layer them much. Well there is one but where it's pretty fucking dense but it's the exception.

Jazes,I'm gonna have to revisit those lps and appraise them with that in mind..for fun and educational purposes like.

I wish I could just have everyone round to the gaf to listen to the mixes in the studio.They sound epic.

Alas,thats impossible..but the new slimmed down method(which going by what your saying is THE method I reckon)is way better.

I would love to have the time to remix my guerrila love songs album. i did it on one of those 16 track standalone roland machines. some of the tunes had 20 or 40 recorded tracks, so i could only mix 16 at a time, bounce them over and then blend the stereo track with the other 16 and i only had 4 band eq to work with. each mix took 2-3 hours just dicking about waiting for the bouncing to process. it doesnt sound awful but i could outdo it 100x with the stuff i have now. i also mastered it on a pair of pc speakers in a completely untreated room. all in it took nine months to mix and master. it works if you crank the volume but its not a great mastering job in fairness. on the other side of the coin, yellowback rarely had more than 5 audio tracks and was live with full time spill, it was basically mixed in the recording sessions, its not as loud as other records but i wouldn't touch it. i actually loaded it into my present system, took one look at the stereo wave form and just went 'nah'.

also, guerrilla was meant to be a 4 sided vynil, so its four sections of about 12-15mins that were all mixed and mastered to that leaning. couldnt afford the duplication in the end.
if yous ever listen to guerrilla love songs, crank it and smoke a big one, or whatever your tickle is. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D01LMZMI

In a way the limitless options that pc recording gives you is a disaster. I recorded three albums in 2000 and three in 1998 on cassette decks (record a track on one cassette player, use another tape deck to record yourself playing along to the first tape etc) and did it when I had a few spare minutes here and there. Now its endless tinkering with tracks, chopping shit etc. 7 albums in 1998 - 2000, 2 albums in 2001 to 2011 since ive been PC recording. when you're finished you're finished, don't start pricking around with finished shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back