(Real) Doctors (1 Viewer)

remember a conversation here last year about people in the academic world that used the Dr prefix being considered a bit of a joke?

a friend who is academic administrator is basically a computer wiz - the type person who gets loads of work in the office.
his BA was in arts, not sure about his MA and he said doing the PhD later was a pain in the neck but he needed it to progress in his career.

I know he thinks his qualifactions are only a mark of ability and he would prefered just go directly from school to learning his IT skills on the job.
having said that having been a student helps a lot in his role.

remember a conversation here last year about people in the academic world that used the Dr prefix being considered a bit of a joke?

a friend who is academic administrator is basically a computer wiz - the type person who gets loads of work in the office.
his BA was in arts, not sure about his MA and he said doing the PhD later was a pain in the neck but he needed it to progress in his career.

I know he thinks his qualifactions are only a mark of ability and he would prefered just go directly from school to learning his IT skills on the job.

no more a joke than anyone using a title that's been awarded based on a specific role or qualification.

its a peculiarity of the English language (I think) that medical doctors and academic drs are both referred to as doctor. (ie medico, medecin etc)

in and around academia a PhD is an entry ticket. probably actually carries more weight outside of that bubble than within.

i work with a lot of germans and it seems it's considered normal/OK for them put all their qualifications after their name, not just the highest one (which would presume the other ones). comes across a little bit vain.

i work with a lot of germans and it seems it's considered normal/OK for them put all their qualifications after their name, not just the highest one (which would presume the other ones). comes across a little bit vain.
Different cultures have different ways of doing this - when we're doing intros in work zoom meetings the Italian guy on my team always uses his full title. I never do

I believe they even put them on their name/address tags in the apartment blocks they live in. When you want to buzz in there it is.

Deny those terms is denying the fabric which we are supposed to be basing out society on.

Jump over the right hurdles and soceity can give you an identifier for that. That is actually a useful thing.

I know people who do Dr. level education get rinsed transparent with the workload and don't want to look at it for a while but i do think there is a value.

It does get abused though - like media doctors with doctorates in completely other fields using the Dr. for status.

Bit of a rough time too as the likes of trump spent so much time trying to undermine expertise.

Not sure if you're referring to the phenomenon I'm talking about; where people put 'Joachim Headbanger H.Dip BSc PhD' in their title, not just PhD which would be common here. There's little need to refer to earlier qualifications which are implied by the later ones.

Not sure if you're referring to the phenomenon I'm talking about; where people put 'Joachim Headbanger H.Dip BSc PhD' in their title, not just PhD which would be common here. There's little need to refer to earlier qualifications which are implied by the later ones.

I'd need to spend about an hour assembling my qualifications from old emails and stuff if i was into that, i don't have notion. Naw i jumped in on the early thread and missed out all the inbetween posts. I was only referring to folk outside medicine who don't use the Dr. or whatever highest level they have.

in and around academia a PhD is an entry ticket. probably actually carries more weight outside of that bubble than within.
Absolutely. It’s not that special when everyone you work with is also a PhD.

There's little need to refer to earlier qualifications which are implied by the later ones.
They’re not necessarily earlier though. A H Dip is frequently done after a PhD to get a new expertise (like statistics, teaching, or whatever). Yes a BA is needed for a PhD but nothing else.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The woman in this video looks like the exact woman that Del Boy out of Only Fools and Horses would be making gratuitous passes at in the bar, with the implied joke being that she's out of his league.

Here, this thread reminds me of the old joke:

- What do you call the person who graduates bottom of their class in medical school?

- Doctor.

Anyone with an academic Dr. title that actually uses it in anything not directly work related is automatically a fuckwit

The brother has a PhD in something or other
Good luck to anyone that puts themselves through that - but it's often a careerist journey.

But doctors heal people, we need those
Top ranking for me

As long as we're doing old jokes, there's that line "Academic politics is so vicious because the stakes are so low"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back