Reader's Wives (1 Viewer)

Beanstalk

Website
www.myspace.com
Has anybody got any of their own home made compositions posted on the interschope? I'd love to hear some.

If so, could you give the web address of the songs, and some details on your home recording set-up (software, hardware etc.)?

howdy beans

thetychobrahe.com

all the stuff was home produced... mostly on my set-up in my flat. Win 98, P III 500, soundblaster live drive. Using fruity loops and Cubase and a package called magix deluxe 7 (for something mad like €90 - it worked better with the sound card than cubase for some reason). Also mastered on that system.

Anything that wasn't recorded by me on the album was recorded by Diarmuid on his home set up - 4 track/ 8 track reel-to-reel/ and some PC also.

home recording .|..| 's

Originally posted by dudley
tycho brahe production is fantastic, i must look at this magic deluxe thing, what is it?

Cheers Dudley

http://europe.magix.com/index.php?1290
The package itself is fairly shit/ugly - a poor mans cubase - but it had not time lag recording on my old PC so I used it to record all the tracks instead of Cubase.

If you buy the 'deluxe' version you get a CD full of 1000s of samples to manipulate and process (about €50). Which is where Fruity loops came in.... started tracks in Fruity loops finished them in a multitracker like Magix / Cubase. I have 1 mic - akg3000 and a nano compressor to try and get a decent sound through the soundblaster. I worked as a sound engineer for a few years so I had few tricks up my shelves.

D

good old fruity loops, joss is beavering away on it at the mo for a song on our new record ablum.
i'm amazed you got such quality results with such a humble set up, excellent stuff.

how did you get the ace melotron-y flute sound?

Originally posted by Beanstalk
Has anybody got any of their own home made compositions posted on the interschope? I'd love to hear some.

If so, could you give the web address of the songs, and some details on your home recording set-up (software, hardware etc.)?

some home-made goodies at www.steerage.net - some good mixes, some not-so good mixes.

recording through a behringer eurorack MX1604A mixer into a creative soundlabs card (dunno what model) into cubasis on PC.
we have three mics - rode nt1, sure sm57, sure sm58
we're only really cutting our teeth at the moment. drum setup and loud/distorted guitars are giving us the most difficulty.

Re: Re: Reader's Wives

Originally posted by conor

recording through a behringer eurorack MX1604A mixer into a creative soundlabs card (dunno what model) into cubasis on PC.
we have three mics - rode nt1, sure sm57, sure sm58
we're only really cutting our teeth at the moment. drum setup and loud/distorted guitars are giving us the most difficulty.

I have a pretty similar set up...rode nt1, and a few shure sm58's...cubase VST/32...soundblaster Audigy card...using a Mackie Mixer for drums and vocal pre-amp...I record everything onto a Fostex VF-8 and then transfer it to my PC through the Fostex digital output...the Fostex is dead handy for recording drums...saves trying to squeeze a kit into my bedroom!

I got a POD 2 for recording guitars...keeps the neighbours happy and you can get some nice sounds from it if you tinker around...some especially nice clean sounds.

I've been pricking around with a demo for too long now but it should be finished within the next few weeks...then I can show off my beautiful wife!

best trick for drums with a home recording is give at least one mic over to getting a room sound, place it pretty far back from the kit.

also, try placing one mic about a foot in front of the bass drum, and one about a 2/3 feet away and a bit above the rack tom.

best way to record distorted guitars, i think, is put the amp as loud as you can bear, and bring the gain pretty far down on the input of whatever you're recording into.

good old fruity loops, joss is beavering away on it at the mo for a song on our new record ablum.

Dudley, what version of Fruity Loops are ye using...I got my hands on v3.4 last week...a huge improvement...it has a window where you can arrange your loops in a timeline view...compatable with VST instruments too.

All it needs now is a Re-wire type deal, whereby it could be synched with Cubase, like you can do with Reason.

best trick for drums with a home recording is give at least one mic over to getting a room sound, place it pretty far back from the kit.

also, try placing one mic about a foot in front of the bass drum, and one about a 2/3 feet away and a bit above the rack tom.

best way to record distorted guitars, i think, is put the amp as loud as you can bear, and bring the gain pretty far down on the input of whatever you're recording into.

ta for the tips guys. we're heading down the country next week so we'll have more room and less nighbours. when recording the drums previously we had sorta tried what you described dudley but with lack of space all the mics were sorta on top of each other. worked out ok for the quieter tunes but not for the heavy hitting ones so we'll move those mics back a bit. we're also looking into trying to get a lend of a matched pair of capacitor mics for the drums - fingers crossed. problem with the loud geetars has been that we haven't been able to turn the amps up to ear-bleeding point again due to lack of space and neighbours but this won't be a problem in the wilds of sligo. beanstalk, is the pod2 thingy a DI device that lets you mess with distortion,eq and different amp effects? lookin forward to hearing the results of your jiggery pokery (ooo-er!)

Beanstalk, is the pod2 thingy a DI device that lets you mess with distortion,eq and different amp effects? lookin forward to hearing the results of your jiggery pokery (ooo-er!)

Conor, the POD 2 is an amp simulator...you have a choice of about 24 amps and cabinets, as well as the usual amp settings (bass, treble, gain, reverb) and some delay/flange effects too. The model I have just has the usual 1/4" in/outs, but you can get a POD pro which has digital in/out.

http://www.line6.com/products.asp?ID=83&action=1&item=104&tp=0

I think the results are really good...I'm sure some guitar purists might be able to tell the difference between this and a real miked amp, but I'd say the other 99% of the world wouldn't.

As for drums, we shoved our drummer into the corner of a small room and hung a big duvet from the ceiling...we still got a small bit of reverb but it was better than without the duvet...although depending on the song you might want the natural reverb of the room. I'm sure even Albini had to start with a duvet!

You can listen to some of our home recorded efforts here
http://www.aurelmusic.com. All done on our VS1880 with shure sm58's and 57's. These are some of our earlier attempts.
Home recording does indeed rock. I really wish someone else would mix for us though cos i think it's really hard to mix your own song without beginning to get sick of listening to it over and over.

Donkeys years ago a friend of mine was recording his .|..| demo onto 4 track in his flat. He'd empty out his wardrobe, put his baby marshall amp into it & turn it up to 11. He'd wrap the amp up in the matress & duvet off the bed & stick a microphone in and close the door. Rock would then ensue.

He was also the only person I've ever seen who mixed his demo from the 4 track onto VHS tape & then back again. Most odd, but quite effective.

Originally posted by pete

He was also the only person I've ever seen who mixed his demo from the 4 track onto VHS tape & then back again. Most odd, but quite effective.

as in like an adat tape? just straight into the audio ins of the video recorder?

try using a small amp to get distortion

like an old battered practise amp or one of those jokey novelty amps (I've a tiny Marshall stack, about 12" tall I swear by) or something. Just turn everything up on it, stick a pedal or two in front of it and blast it out.

The advantages are... first that the smaller amp will saturate really easily without deafening folk, and secondly a smaller speaker breaks up quicker AND if its a small 10" or 8" speaker you won't get big walloping bassy sounds out of it just tight needly fuzz... if thats your cuppa

mic it real close aswell

also theres lots to be said for those POD things, or the other many models out at the moment, I would've been mad cynical about them, but some of the settings are great added with complete ease of use. worth considering

Originally posted by herv

as in like an adat tape? just straight into the audio ins of the video recorder?

From what I saw he bunged 4 tracks straight in & got 2 back out again onto the 4 track via the 2 audio plug whatsits.

Seemed to work fine.

Re: Re: Reader's Wives

some home-made goodies at www.steerage.net - some good mixes, some not-so good mixes.

Conor...just got round to downloading "Push the dolphin"...brilliant...I'm a sucker for two intertwined acoustic guitars...reminds me of Kings of Convenience...really good quality too.

Home recorded stuff every month at
http://www.largemound.com

The song up there for august is done on a VS880EX, drums by Rebirth (one track, mono). The rest recorded with an 57beta. Mostly done at night trying to play queitly. The electric guitar is actually played at about "half" and gain pushed to the max, I'm surpirsed you cant hear the plectrum. Not the best way to do it but there u go.

Re: Re: Re: Reader's Wives

Originally posted by Beanstalk

Conor...just got round to downloading "Push the dolphin"...brilliant...I'm a sucker for two intertwined acoustic guitars...reminds me of Kings of Convenience...really good quality too.

just saw this now - ooops! glad you liken it anyways. i think another tune has gone up since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back