Rare Vinyl (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 65
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 8
no matter what anyone says psychiatric hospitals are the freakiest of places. The old St Annes Asylum in Cork scared the bejaysus out of me when i visited a few years ago. People were treated with electric shock therapy and laxatives to help "rid them of their demons" then locked in straight jackets to dwell in their own nightmare. Ghost stories still shroud the skeleton building in mystery. The walls are said to echo the tormented screams and anguished calls of the patients that went unanswered. Theres one isolation cell in particular that is said to be haunted. The tragedy is back then your family could commit you indefinately, so problem or unwanted kids who were completely sane were left there for life and labelled as "idiotic since birth". The place didnt help the sick, it created them, seems enough reason why it would be haunted. Its being turned into appartments now....would you be well.

the strange guy said:
Yeh, but Leinster Square never got raided by pigs looking for guns, never had people die in the building, never had a ghost that lived in the attic or had two junkies living in the gaff (with all the hilarity which ensued). I could go on, but then I wouldn't want to embarass anyone who still thinks that Leinster Square was the king of mad gaffs.
Look everyone, Oly is the maddest. That's it, just plain MADDEST. So don't even try.

The Milltown ghost was pretty good, especially when it tried to kill Eoin in his sleep 3 nights in a row after he said he didn't believe in it and capered around the spot it seemed to occupy, slagging it off and pretending to hit it...goin up the stairs and all...*shudder*.

The Smithfield gaff freaked the shit out of me when I was first there after some gig one time. Puget Sound played upstairs, and I'd been trying to sell my zine at the gig earlier and was slagged off by all the "real punks", who acted the wank when myself and Eoin, Donal & Conor were there. I think it was the gigantic pot full of mould, the hostile stares of the punk-as-fucks and the 3 guys asleep on the stairs, not to mention the guy asleep in the dogshit, that was a bit much for the poor wee buckos up from the country.

There's definitely some sort of ghost buzz in my gaff too. When we first moved out to this gaff I had these recurring dreams of this lady dying in the sitting room.

However, stranger things have happened to me here.
Especially in my own bedroom.

Doors slamming and opening with no cause, flickering lights, my stereo coming on and making strange noises or else my stereo already being on and the volume being fucked with, intense heat changes either freezing cold or boiling hot for about 30 seconds before back to normal, piles of books suddenly flying out from a top wardrobe shelf the whole way across the room to thud against the other wall. A lot of the time these things would happen to me on my own and i'd get used to it but a few times others were here with me and they didn't like it at all. Not at all.

Oh and another thing, it's strange, I've never seen anything.. y'know outline of a figure, eyes staring at me or anything like that. But I do remember sometimes just knowing in my head that things were there ..sometimes maybe hearing breathing (no not my own).. did anyone ever get that?

I'll be your ghost in the hot-tub, Darragh...if you're lucky I might even leave a few ghost-stains.

Here Jamie, what was your encounter with the Warzone ghost?

I reckon I heard that creepy shit before when the warzone ghost went on tour with The Dagda, it was before I'd read about any of that stuff or anything, when they were still a 3-piece and played with Endstand in the Temple. Just this sound like really hollow, mournful female singing turning to screaming & shrieking at points over the music. I was convinced they were using samples or something.

That describes pretty much exactly what I heard the first time I saw them, in cork in 2001. There's a big long spiel about it in issues 4 and 5 of JW.
I still think kenny's ghost is scarier.

The Warzone Ghost

I think that apart from The Dagda and Debt, The Cosmonaut and Gary Kabinboy had a couple of weird ones if I remember right. The Warzone ghost was an accepted part of the centre to long time workers, though it definitely eased off around 5 years ago with the "moving equipment around" and "banging" sounds becoming sporadic to the point of not happening. Best one was arriving early in the morning to meet Stalingrad around 9 years ago and getting waved slowly at by a figure in the upstairs hallway, and then realising that the centre was still locked up and that there was no-one there. Brrr.
The Dagda "wailing woman" still fucks me up. Crispo still has a practice tape somewhere (we hope) with her caught in full clarity. If we ever find it, it's going on the next lp for sure...hope she doesn't want royalties from the vast amounts of cash we will undoubtedly make from it.

i heard banging from upstairs while sitting in the cafe on my own a few times during the summer there. didnt hear about this ghost story til later tho. cue jokes...

Re: The Warzone Ghost

scrawlzine said:
In hindsight, I wish the wailing woman would come on tour with us again...I certainly can't afford a sampler.
Plus it would cover up all the shite, yooooooooooo!!!!!!

P.S I reckon it was just one of Trues' ex-girlfriends.

Re: The Warzone Ghost

Don't be silly, trues doesn't do that kind of thing.

scrawlzine said:
Best one was arriving early in the morning to meet Stalingrad around 9 years ago .
i never knew they'd been going that long.... 9 years ago I'd only just hit double figures....mental

Corm said:

I reckon I heard that creepy shit before when the warzone ghost went on tour with The Dagda, it was before I'd read about any of that stuff or anything, when they were still a 3-piece and played with Endstand in the Temple. Just this sound like really hollow, mournful female singing turning to screaming & shrieking at points over the music. I was convinced they were using samples or something.
It actually makes my skin crawl thinking about it,even though to be honest it wasn't really that terrifying.Basically I saw it while we were practicing and couldn't look away, everyone got freaked out, so we packed up and left.
The story will be turning up in a zine column shortly, so you can read the full thing then.

One of the biggest regrets of my life is the fact that I've never heard this Dagda lady.I thought it was a joke between Glynn and Liadain to be honest.Is it the same voice as the famous "Jobbykrust ghost vocalist"?

Corm said:
I'll be your ghost in the hot-tub, Darragh...if you're lucky I might even leave a few ghost-stains.

Ive got a video of that gig ... is it on the video i wonder?

jesus ghosts in gaffs ins't very posi at all, i remember the milltown ghost freaking eoin out, thats what he gets for being a sceptic, then again it could have just been sleep paralysis.

But hey we got a new gaff this week, and i already checked it for ghost vibes, its free from any yucky or friendly ghosts, excellant.

I know people have ripped the piss out of me for this in the past but i do truly believe that places reflect the energies that were created within them. Places like asylums can be tremedously scary. when i worked in the hospital i saw some really weird shit during night shifts in casualty, shivers.. but the one place where there was never a bad feeling just a calmness was in the morgue, where i worked for a few weeks, it just had this really soft, gentle feel to it, far more calm than anywhere else in the hospital even in the dead of night. I know people think it's just me being into my hippy vibe bullshit but it's one of the few things im certain of.

needtokill said:
One of the biggest regrets of my life is the fact that I've never heard this Dagda lady.I thought it was a joke between Glynn and Liadain to be honest.Is it the same voice as the famous "Jobbykrust ghost vocalist"?
Yeah, me, glyn and our crazy jokes... we make a hell of a team!
Weirdly enough you were actually at that gig that I heard it at... it was that one with cold war that you and levinge came down to cork for when i was but 16...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back