Random Photos (4 Viewers)

I always thought it was spelled "rear"
DSC00004.jpg

That's an NCAD in-joke. They use it a lot.

were they dug up and put there? i thought they all faced the sea?

nope. quite the opposite in fact. their function - as interpreted by archaeologists - was to look over and protect the people of the island which generally means they face away from the sea. each competing clan built their own moai and the sheer size of these things (some of them are 30ft tall or more) seems to have resulted from the multi generational pissing contest between the clans. most of them have been re-erected in the past 50-100 years (they were all toppled and alot destroyed during inter-clan warfare which led to the near extinction of the island's population). fascinating history. magical place. _really_ bad food :)

nope. quite the opposite in fact. their function - as interpreted by archaeologists - was to look over and protect the people of the island which generally means they face away from the sea. each competing clan built their own moai and the sheer size of these things (some of them are 30ft tall or more) seems to have resulted from the multi generational pissing contest between the clans. most of them have been re-erected in the past 50-100 years (they were all toppled and alot destroyed during inter-clan warfare which led to the near extinction of the island's population). fascinating history. magical place. _really_ bad food :)
well there you go. that'll learn me to trust some stupid book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back