Queen Kong at Lazybird this Sunday 20th Nov 05 (1 Viewer)

nEiLo

Website
www.lazybird.org
This Sunday, at Lazybird, Peter Jackson presents: QUEEN KONG

Doors at 9pm
Tax: 5 Euro

Peter Jackson on the Decks

www.lazybird.org

Listen: http://artists.cpu.ie/bands/337/index.php

QUEEN KONG Bio:

Queen Kong meet their Waterloo with The Leech. This, as John Astin would have said, is IT; The finale, the endgame, the last call. Queen Kong are releasing their new CD "The Leech". Never ones to underplay something, the project was announced a few weeks back with much fanfare by the posting of a short video, not unlike a trailer for a Hollywood blockbuster, on

www.freakscene.com/queenkong.htm.

The trailer set the Internet music forums, dubbed a moronic inferno by band members, ablaze as people tried to make sense of it all. As a result of the trailer the band have been asked to contribute to a DVDproject later in the year, but for now, synth-player David Jeremiah wants to proceed on the carefully mapped plan for promoting The Leech.

"We very consciously set out to create the impression, if only in our own heads and on a very small scale, that our CD coming out will be similar to a major film being released"

And to an extent, that is what they have achieved, with the trailer, and the bands quasi-legal postering campaigns, you do get the feeling that release of The Leech is nothing short of an Event. However, we all know how turgid, hackneyed and disappointing over-hyped cineplex duds can prove, so Queen Kong had better make sure they deliver A New Hope, and not a Phantom Menace. David responds reassuringly,

"We spent the best part of a year, 5 years if you count man-hours working on this, and when you eventually hear the music you'll realise understand what our work has been about.

Outside the band we deliberately sought out the most talented and imaginative people we could to help put this together. David Gordon worked like a dog on our videos, and we should probably be in prison for the pressure we put Colin Murphy under to make the enhanced part of the CD, but they both came up trumps because they are geniuses,as well as raising the bar considerably for ourselves in terms of work rate and creativity.

In the last few years, much has been heard about the music industry dying, merging and morphing into a handful of superpowers, which are slowly buying up all the minor resistance. Were all aware that the singles charts rarely reflect the tastes of a music-listening public, but instead prove the power of publicity. The introduction of widespread file sharing was quickly quashed, leaving Apple & Co to sweep up the download market. These days it seems clear that to reach a mass audience, you must first buy into the rules of the industry. There is no devil to sell your soul to any more, only shareholders. Those that tread outside this path do so with the knowledge that many others will romp down the road to success simply because of the size of their bank balances.

Queen Kong, as ever, defy this luxury-packaged wisdom. The manufacture, packaging and sale of their CD, The Leech, was done with the only money changing hands being used on materials. Even more daring is the inclusion of every track theyve ever made. Usually, when an artist ploughs through their back catalogue, their choices are restricted to the weirdest B-sides, or the radio-friendly singles, never providing more than a glimpse of the full picture.

Ruby Moore speaks of the significance of the CD to herself. The Leech, to me, is simply a continuation of my personal rejection of the 9-5 society, a departure from the rat-race. To put all of our material on one disc with minimal packaging, and then sell it for the same price as an EP, must seem like commercial suicide to most. The release and sale of music has been in the hands of the record companies for too long. I think this release is a far more realistic approach to how music should be distributed. Its a shame we have to charge for the disk at all.

The groups imminent relocation to Dublin is the culmination of the inevitable. The band seem almost bewildered at the constant requests to play in the capital, and the move is more to save them the constant travelling than a desertion of Cork City. Ive been living in Cork for the last few years, says Ruby, and coming from London, I found it a beautiful size, more like a big village than anything else. But its also much more than that, because its incredibly vibrant, especially for its size and population. Hopefully well be able to turn people nationwide on to other Cork bands, like Violent Jack, The Loser Lounge, The Little Band That Could. If theres one thing Ill miss, itll be the constant eruption of mini-music-scenes musical ideas in this city are just so healthy

The plan, on relocations is to hunt down every venue in the city, from grand halls to tiny pubs, and play them all. Constantly. Then to invite their friends from Cork for a gig or two.

Amy Stephenson speaks of what The Leech means to her. Its a loaded title, something that we decided on after much deliberation. The Leech is that something that sucks everything out of you, leaving you lifeless and dry. This works on a grand, global scale, through war and politics, right down to the personal level, people you know, jobs you have to do, problems that worry you until you spend all your time feeding this leech, making it happy, just to get a little peace. I was raised as part of a very judicious religion that dictated heavily on matters that most would consider to be beyond the concern of religion, from the clothes they consider appropriate to wear, to the friends you keep. This means that the term leech has perhaps a greater resonance for me that most. But I think that everyone has their own leech in one form or another, so youll all be able toidentify with that.

boigaz said:
Criminally poor turn out last night for an exceptionally good band.

Yeah, they were one of the best bands we've had this year, in my opinion. A great combination of Kraftwerk, My Bloody Valentine and PJ Harvey (they did a fantastic cover of the latter's "Rid of Me"). So a big thanks to Amy, David & Ruby for playing. And to all who made it down, of course.

(Next week, a copromotion with Push Productions: Former Tindersticks and Gallon Drunk sideman and current member of Lydia Lunch's band, Terry Edwards. 10 euro in, tickets available at http://www.tickets.ie, City Discs, Sound Cellar and Road Records.)

I did the radio show yesterday, and here's what I played:

Circle, "Lokki" (Ektro)
La Duesseldorf, "Ich Liebe Dich" (Captain Trip)
Broadcast, "DDL" (Warp)
Neutral Milk Hotel, "The King of Carrot Flowers" (Merge)
Foetus, "How to Vibrate" (Birdman)
This Heat, "S.P.Q.R." (Rough Trade)
Gescom, "Keynell 4" (Skam)
snd, "9" (Mille Plateaux)
Siouxsie & The Banshees, "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us" (Polydor)
Erase Errata, "Surprize It's Easter" (Blast First!)
The Fall, "How I Wrote Elastic Man" (Rough Trade)
A Certain Ratio, "Flight" (Factory)
Wire, "In the Art of Stopping" (Pink Flag)
Wolf Eyes, "Rotten Tropics" (Troubleman)
Unknown Sundanese Gamelan, "Tjatrik" (Nonesuch)

Paul

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!!

I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING ON LAST NIGHT!!!

Bollix!!!!!!!

Everytime I've seen these guys/gals, I've left with a big smile on my face. Great band!

I guess the turnout could due to the fact that Queen Kong seem to be playing every few days. Good gig though! Nice chilled out Sunday evening. I love how upstairs in the International still manages to smell like smoke. Amazing.

helena said:
I guess the turnout could due to the fact that Queen Kong seem to be playing every few days. Good gig though! Nice chilled out Sunday evening. I love how upstairs in the International still manages to smell like smoke. Amazing.

that would imply that people turned out on one of those days
:)

the guys from lazybird are yet more of the cool people we've met since we moved here.
thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back