Qualifying as a guitar teacher? (1 Viewer)

first i've heard of one. that said, i should probably have one.
have you some sort of music qualification anyways??

ideally grades in guitar, if you wanted to teach classical. in piano grade 8 is teaching level i think.

all the teachers i know teach from a combination of experience and college. most students come via word of mouth, and every student is different in what keeps them motivated.

dunno dude, i've never taught a group past 10 weeks or so, but individual patients sometimes stay for 2 years. i get a lot more new students from the individuals then i ever got with groups.

I went to group lessons for a spell years ago, just three students and a teacher, pretty much descended into group therapy for gear geeks and playing each other records... and while I mightn't have learned much technically, in terms of turning into a big guitar nerd it was invaluable

dunno dude, i've never taught a group past 10 weeks or so, but individual patients sometimes stay for 2 years. i get a lot more new students from the individuals then i ever got with groups.

What happens when a student wants to learn a solo? Do you give him a choice of the only 3 worth learning?

I went to group lessons for a spell years ago, just three students and a teacher, pretty much descended into group therapy for gear geeks and playing each other records... and while I mightn't have learned much technically, in terms of turning into a big guitar nerd it was invaluable

were youse beginners or was it a mixed bag, and were youse mates previous to the lessons??

What happens when a student wants to learn a solo? Do you give him a choice of the only 3 worth learning?

i'm thinking that list should be reduced to two lately.

were youse beginners or was it a mixed bag, and were youse mates previous to the lessons??

all of a similar standard, knew one of the lads.. chap running the lessons had some lovely amps and a box of vintage pedals, sometimes it was like just paying to goof around with his vintage Electric Mistress or something, but was a great time, learnt loads about the pick ups, wiring, amp, pedals, blah blah, way more then just chord sheets and learning Hotel Calafornia note for note

ahh.. well being generally rural, i specifically specialize in absolute cold beginners, occasionally i take on someone who already knows how to play, but i specifically advertise for beginners. that sounds like craic.

oh, never, never, never ever, ever ever ever take on groups. world of pain.

I've taught groups of up to 12 people, with ages ranging from 13 - 75. It was grand. Obviously there's only so much ground you can cover, but nobody ever left those classes not being able to play the guitar, and not having an idea of how to progress afterwards....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back