Protest over budget (2 Viewers)

Radiohead_-_Meeting_People_Is_Easy.jpg

As opposed to smug-apathetic bollox? Come off it. It's useless little shits that bitch about anyone complaining that stop anything from being done in the first place.

I really hope you save some of this stuff and read it in ten years. I've been on many a protest in my time and i'll tell you one thing about almost all of them: they made fuck all difference except made a few people think they were doing something good. They are, to a large extent, self-serving and a way to make yourself think 'yes, i care, i can make a difference'.

Examples: all the Iraq war protests, all the corrib gas protests, all the anti-g8 protests.

I'm not saying don't protest...i'm saying there are much better ways to be effective than taking to the streets. For protests to be really effective the public needs to fully support the cause, not just the people marching. I'm sure if there was a call now to march in support of clerical abuse victims, this would have an impact. The budget...forget it. By all means go to this protest on Friday, should be an eye-opener for you.

Nobody's going to do anything until there's some degree of civil unrest, is the problem. The same apathy that causes people to call protesters "anarcho-hippies" is what stops any of this from happening. Anyone who puts themselves out in any shape or form in Ireland gets ridiculed to all fuck and their job made more and more awkward. And it's impossible to set anything up here, for example I tried for months to set up a decent anime club in Cork, that's not exactly the most niche thing ever but several attempts just fell flat on their ass.

Anime=not niche. :confused:

I know a lot of people are saying you're a troll or a fake account but I think you're the real deal.

This is part of your coalition-building solidarity work, right? For the protest you're organising? We're all in this together!

Given my main point is that most Irish people are twats and the ones that aren't should be more aggressie about it, I would say I'm being quite consistant.

I really hope you save some of this stuff and read it in ten years. I've been on many a protest in my time and i'll tell you one thing about almost all of them: they made fuck all difference except made a few people think they were doing something good. They are, to a large extent, self-serving and a way to make yourself think 'yes, i care, i can make a difference'.

Examples: all the Iraq war protests, all the corrib gas protests, all the anti-g8 protests.
And what do these things have in common? All of those had threads a lot like these where smug little fucks took potshots at the hippie protestors.

Protests do very little any more because protests have no social standing.

But, for the Irish people, there needs to be as much unrest as possible regardless of how successful the protest is. Unless people get excited and hotblooded, nothing will happen.

Our main problem is not with a big scary governement like the US government, it's with some twats in suit in the Dail and the public apathy towards them. If we really wanted to, there could be a huge march into the Dail to disrupt preceedings until they cop on. They can't arrest everyone. Even corrupt politicans seem to make better decisions under pressure. At this point even stupid ideas are better than no ideas because we're getting too used to doing absolutely nothing because we're too wrapped up in our comfortable little blanket.

I'm not saying don't protest...i'm saying there are much better ways to be effective than taking to the streets. For protests to be really effective the public needs to fully support the cause, not just the people marching.
This is the problem - the general public don't get behind anything. Pick a specific issue and physically force their hands to change their opinion if we have to. But people aren't going to do this. That's why I'm saying to cause as much of a shitstorm as possible, just get out there and in everyone's face, until the general public has no choice but to take a side, and they'd feel pretty stupid taking the government's.

What are the better ways of being effective exactly? I'm very interested in this as I'm open to more useful avenues of change.

people are disagreeing with you Green Goblin, no need to call them names

well, by working harder for less money, i am reducing the cost of living, i am technically being paid less, therefore the service i provide costs less. i would consider that a reduction, where the cost of living reduces. i thing i really like about the recession is that its challenging people who have become used to a very subsistent lifestyle to become more creative with how they get the things they need. there is such thing as reducing your own cost of living too. the world doesn't owe us a living was me quoting my old boss, who used to say that when neither of us could be fucked going to work. i think its a really well rounded and simple philosophy. if its wrong, and the world does owe us a living, i'll retract it. i know you cant work, i'm not telling you to work, i'm telling you that if you want there to be enough tax payers in the country to support the disabled then we need to have a less expensive workforce, its a simple equation.

and stop calling me right wing. i'm left centre.

Given my main point is that most Irish people are twats and the ones that aren't should be more aggressie about it, I would say I'm being quite consistant.

And what do these things have in common? All of those had threads a lot like these where smug little fucks took potshots at the hippie protestors.

Protests do very little any more because protests have no social standing.

But, for the Irish people, there needs to be as much unrest as possible regardless of how successful the protest is. Unless people get excited and hotblooded, nothing will happen.

Our main problem is not with a big scary governement like the US government, it's with some twats in suit in the Dail and the public apathy towards them. If we really wanted to, there could be a huge march into the Dail to disrupt preceedings until they cop on. They can't arrest everyone. Even corrupt politicans seem to make better decisions under pressure. At this point even stupid ideas are better than no ideas because we're getting too used to doing absolutely nothing because we're too wrapped up in our comfortable little blanket.

This is the problem - the general public don't get behind anything. Pick a specific issue and physically force their hands to change their opinion if we have to. But people aren't going to do this. That's why I'm saying to cause as much of a shitstorm as possible, just get out there and in everyone's face, until the general public has no choice but to take a side, and they'd feel pretty stupid taking the government's.

What are the better ways of being effective exactly? I'm very interested in this as I'm open to more useful avenues of change.
You need to find yourself a girlfriend ...

Volunteer to a group who you feel are doing good work. Seek out a profession in the social care sector/NGO sector/advocacy sector.

Grow dreads, put a dog on a rope, buy an ex-army jacket and then go on a rant about how the Govt. are corrupt because they didn't increase your dole thia year round...oh no...wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back