Apollo House (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Cycled up Tara St this morning and looked over at Apollo House when I passed by the Poolbeg St junction. Didn't see many people (there was a man sticking up a sign to the railings), but all the lights were on and there was clearly a lot of activity in there (this was just before 7am).

When I heard who was involved in this 'initiative' I was cynical as hell about it. It smacked of Glenn and Bongo's annual Christmas eve Grafton St 'LOOK AT ME, AMN'T I GREAT' session.

But it seems there's a lot more to this, that work had been going on by less familiar names in the background and they were basically using Glenn and co for publicity (and it worked a treat).

So, yesterday, recievers for NAMA (cunts) filed for an injuction on behalf of the taxpayer (that's us btw) to clear all the homeless people back out onto the streets, claiming it's not safe in Apollo House (cos, yeah, the streets are mad safe).

ON OUR FUCKING BEHALF.

Waiting to see what comes of this, but I'm really hoping things come to a head in a big way. That people express the same anger about what our pack-of-cunts of a government (and several packs-of-cunts before them) have done (or failed to do) to cause the levels of homelessness we now have, as they did for water charges.

It won't happen though. Water charges affected everyone's pocket, that's why everyone got angry. Homelessness is someone else's problem, would be the prevailing attitude. And that's fucked up.

Anyway, not sure if that's a rant or not, but shur

some info (stolen from teh journal dot comm)

Activists with the group, which is closely linked to the Mandate trade union, and was co-founded by high-profile anti-water charges activist and trade unionist Brendan Ogle, occupied the building on Thursday evening last.

The project is supported by the Irish Housing Network, a broad coalition of different far-left grassroots housing organisations, and has been publicly backed by well-known figures like Glen Hansard, Hozier and film director Jim Sheridan, who took part in a public concert at the building earlier yesterday.

I've heard Dean Scurry mentioned as one of the other main activists behind the occupation.

I was in town last night meeting some people in the long stone and there was a monster queue outside Doyle's trying to get in. Assume it was some Ruby Sessions related thing. Hansard walked into the LS a bit later on so I guess maybe he was playing it.

Apollo House is basically a squatted hostel, right? A protest rather than any kind of solution to the difficult problem of housing?

Bit of one, bit of the other? At least they're off the street, but the NAMA lawyers may have a point that it's not safe for people to be living there, which really should embarrass the government more, they should be helping these people but they're not so "not safe" is still safer than what they'd otherwise have.

There is a Kathy Sheridan piece in the times today that I don't really agree with, and I've seen some people giving out about it online, but it points out that a lot of the people homeless aren't just there because they fell on hard times and can't afford a place, they need helping beyond having a gaff.

Apollo House is basically a squatted hostel, right? A protest rather than any kind of solution to the difficult problem of housing?
Yep. But it's put the spotlight on some important issues. Plus even if it is just a temporary solution, so what? For some of the coldest nights of the year people are warm and well fed.

I've heard Dean Scurry mentioned as one of the other main activists behind the occupation.
He is yeah. I was having a smoke outside of Mulligans Saturday afternoon and as Glen arrived he (Scully) started speaking to the media. He didn't speak particularly well but I think he was just hammering home the main points.

Viva la revolution

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Comments on The Journal condemning this unlawful anarchist, publicity stunt, because that's just how the Irish roll.

Well this looks bad

Former Unite union Dublin HQ empty for three years

A trust connected to the trade union Unite applied to be exempted from social housing for a development at its former headquarters on Merrion Square in Dublin while one of its top officials was planning the occupation of Apollo House in the city centre last month.

Certain people will be delighted with this of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back