Protest over budget (1 Viewer)

Green Goblin

I'm curious as to if there are actually any planned and why there haven't been any thus yet. I would be very interested in joining in.

I'm particularly bummed about rent allowance - the smarmy little shits in government are leaving it up to tennants to haggle - how great for people on disability who probably don't have the capability to do so! People are going to end up homeless over this. I'm lucky I have parents who'll help me find a new place, but not everyone is the same and even then I'm bummed about the overall reductions.

the budget itself doesn't bother me that much, was expected seeing as we're one of the worst affected countries in the world with the recession. just the total lack of action to stop the hemorrhaging of jobs and the bullshit that went on with the banks. actually there's a probably loads of other stuff about the government i'd protest about before the budget.

There's a protest in Cork this Friday at 7pm in Daunt Square. I, unfortunately, am on a group-text list and keep getting informed about this anarcho-hippie bollox. There'll probably be 12 people at it, a few hammer and sickels, and some dogs.

a protest wouldnt really achieve anything other then having to apy a bunch of gardai overtime. we'd still be skint. i refer to the knickers/bare ass case of yore.

a protest wouldnt really achieve anything other then having to apy a bunch of gardai overtime. we'd still be skint. i refer to the knickers/bare ass case of yore.

What do you suggest we do then?

I'm pretty affected by this as I have to move into a cheaper place. How in god's name they expect someone with aspergers to negotiate a cheaper rent, I have no idea. Complete fucking sociopaths.

I, unfortunately, am on a group-text list and keep getting informed about this anarcho-hippie bollox.
As opposed to smug-apathetic bollox? Come off it. It's useless little shits that bitch about anyone complaining that stop anything from being done in the first place. Nobody wants to feel like a dopey college student which is what they're made feel like if they do anything worthwhile. Other western european countries simply do not stand for this bollocks in the same way we do. If you have to challenge someone's maturity you probably need a better argument.

thisthread.jpg

I'm pretty affected by this as I have to move into a cheaper place. How in god's name they expect someone with aspergers to negotiate a cheaper rent, I have no idea. Complete fucking sociopaths.

As opposed to smug-apathetic bollox? Come off it. It's useless little shits that bitch about anyone complaining that stop anything from being done in the first place. If you have to challenge someone's maturity you probably need a better argument.

Green Goblin, back on form.

try and create employment, try and figure out useful pastimes for people who cant work, work longer hours for less then minimum wage and take less days off to protest.

also, i believe the letter does say that 'this letter can be used as evidence in the re-negotiation of rent'.

our welfare system still kicks the shit out of most of the rest of the world, if not all it, we had a good few years, but just expect more and more cuts for the next few years.

try and create employment, try and figure out useful pastimes for people who cant work, work longer hours for less then minimum wage and take less days off to protest.

also, i believe the letter does say that 'this letter can be used as evidence in the re-negotiation of rent'.

our welfare system still kicks the shit out of most of the rest of the world, if not all it, we had a good few years, but just expect more and more cuts for the next few years.

Our welfare system only pays out more than most others because of the insanely high cost of living here. The dole/disability seems like a lot of money for nothing until you actually start going out, or take up a hobby. This is one of the only countries in the world that 200 euros can be pissed away in a weekend. That and there's nothing to do in this country. If there was more going on, we wouldn't need as much money to piss away. The UK has terrible welfare payments, but at least they have a decent housing scheme and plenty of things going on you don't need much money to participate in. Sweden's cradle to grave welfare system of course is better than Irelands, the fact that we simply pay out a decent amount of money doesn't make it amazing, I'd rather get less money and have the high cost of living fought as that's what leads to jobs being lost too, but that's not happening and it's not going to happen just by saying it needs to be done and all protesters are eejits.

How exactly do you think any of that will get done? Who is going to do it? Without public pressure, it's not going to happen. Again many mainland european countries simply have a much better system of protest.

Nobody's going to do anything until there's some degree of civil unrest, is the problem. The same apathy that causes people to call protesters "anarcho-hippies" is what stops any of this from happening. Anyone who puts themselves out in any shape or form in Ireland gets ridiculed to all fuck and their job made more and more awkward. And it's impossible to set anything up here, for example I tried for months to set up a decent anime club in Cork, that's not exactly the most niche thing ever but several attempts just fell flat on their ass. I even put money into advertising, will know not to use Google adverts again, they raped my bank account.

There's a deeper problem here and protesting, even if it achieves nothing against what it's protesting against, is part of the solution, because people in general need to be less complete tossers and more proactive. I'm getting tired of people saying "No, that's not the way to do things" and then suggesting things that people simply aren't going to do properly, or else we wouldn't be in this mess.

Our welfare system only pays out more than most others because of the insanely high cost of living here. The dole/disability seems like a lot of money for nothing until you actually start going out, or take up a hobby. This is one of the only countries in the world that 200 euros can be pissed away in a weekend. That and there's nothing to do in this country. If there was more going on, we wouldn't need as much money to piss away.

This is bullshit. Stop pissing away the money you get if you feel you can't afford too. At least you actually get disability and rent allowance, you should be grateful you live in a country that can still afford to give you anything at all.

How exactly do you think any of that will get done? Who is going to do it? Without public pressure, it's not going to happen. Again many mainland european countries simply have a much better system of protest.

people have to take their own initiatives. you cant seriously rely on the completely financially inept government to sort it out, therefore the problem falls on public really. the pressure is already there, financially rather then publicly.

Nobody's going to do anything until there's some degree of civil unrest, is the problem. The same apathy that causes people to call protesters "anarcho-hippies" is what stops any of this from happening. Anyone who puts themselves out in any shape or form in Ireland gets ridiculed to all fuck and their job made more and more awkward. And it's impossible to set anything up here, for example I tried for months to set up a decent anime club in Cork, that's not exactly the most niche thing ever but several attempts just fell flat on their ass. I even put money into advertising, will know not to use Google adverts again, they raped my bank account.

QUOTE]

ah, good jaysis

This is bullshit. Stop pissing away the money you get if you feel you can't afford too. At least you actually get disability and rent allowance, you should be grateful you live in a country that can still afford to give you anything at all.

We didn't get into a position that could "afford" to give people welfare because of shits like you, honestly.

Once you start being thankful for things you should already have, that's when you fail to stand up for what you should get.

Snivelling apologist.

Do you think it's a coincidence most people in this country to some extent share your attitude, and that we're the ones getting screwed over the most? I bloody well think not. You are part of the problem.

i should probably point out too, all those countries with better systems of protest, actually do work longer hours for less money, thats why their more stable.

i should probably point out too, all those countries with better systems of protest, actually do work longer hours for less money, thats why their more stable.

Less money is kind of irrelevant when costs of living are far lower, not to mention they have better working conditions and more rights to begin with.

Money is also all we ever had in this country, now it's gone people are deluded enough to think we shouldn't bother our asses to at least raise our voices.

They're more stable because they're simply better run. Irish people are, on average, incompetent because we take pride in getting other people's goat.

you are well capable of setting one up yourself.

a few simple steps.

define what the problem is. (be as specific as you can)

identify the scale of the problem.

identify who it affected by the problem.

identify partners/alliances

identify what the protest will do, what the follow up campaigning will be etc

pick a date

promote

get finance if required

etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back