prog (2 Viewers)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v7LzOeTkfM"]YouTube - Focus - Sylvia/Hocus Pocus[/ame] .|..|

genesis20sellingwu6.jpg

YesCloseToTheEdge.jpg

.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

ive been trying, with some success, to get into gentle giant since you said (somewhat misleadingly, it must now be admitted) that they were even better than VdGG. i quite like octopus now - it even has a few deadly tunes, and in a glass house is growing on me. Free Hand though - not sure about that one, it has some despicable keyboard solos. i'm thinking of trying out the live album next... the singer is a bit of a turn off at times.

other prog i've failed to appreciate: camel, magma

likewise - i picked up 'octopus' because yer always going on about them barry, it's cool, just wasn't the mind melter i was hoping for.

ps - i have yet to pick up any Alien Sex Fiend records

Loved the progness of Stephen Malkmus live there a couple of months back. Say that 'mind's me, must pick up that ablum

likewise - i picked up 'octopus' because yer always going on about them barry, it's cool, just wasn't the mind melter i was hoping for.

i dont know that alien sex fiend are for me either. im going to stick with gentle giant though, theres something repulsive there that keeps drawing me back. i listened to the live one - Playing The Fool - deadly. i had assumed they wouldnt be able to pull off that singing nonsense live but i was wrong.

I didn't dig Octopus first time I heard it either because I was so used to the live versions on Playing The Fool. Got over that quickly enough though. The Repertoire remaster is the one to get.

All their albums from Acquiring The Taste to Interview are essential but the intro purchase for non-believers is the Gentle Giant On The Box DVD which has a mindblowing TV studio gig from 1974. Probably all on youtube but better if watched from start to finish, as I have, 3 squillion times.

They're more like embarrassing geography teachers than a bunch of Iggys but don't let that put you off.

i dont know that alien sex fiend are for me either. im going to stick with gentle giant though, theres something repulsive there that keeps drawing me back. i listened to the live one - Playing The Fool - deadly. i had assumed they wouldnt be able to pull off that singing nonsense live but i was wrong.

Most surviving, lucid, GG fans reckon live was where they were most 'at'.

Hard to recommend any one ASF album with a straight face but Too Much Acid is one of my top 10 albums of all of times.

I only listen to/talk about two bands. Makes life easier and leaves me more time to meet girls and do acting

EDIIIT: Pawn Hearts by VDGG is still best album ever though

These albinos can rock your world

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEp5i9K7xQ"]YouTube - Frankenstein[/ame]

floyd arent really prog though, more of a melancholy pop band with long songs. i got a magma album last year called mekanic destruktive kommando (or something like that) - worst shit i ever heard in my life, a bit like pink floyds atom heart mother (the track itself) gone heinously wrong.

some prog i have liked in the past...
Univers Zero - heresie and crawling wind were good, didnt like ceux du dehors (?)
Peter Hammill - In Camera is amazing, especially Gog (the musical equivalent of being chased down the corridors of castle dracula by satan himself...)
Utopia - Ra: i love this, im dying to listen to it. available for less than a fiver in every second hand record shop

Yeah MAGMA RUUUULE!

Check out Shub-Niggurath, Weidorje, 5uu's and Thinking Plague for more unlistenable prog bollox*.

*AMAZING unlistenable prog bollox. Some of it isn't even prog!

i'm not interested in prog but i have to say the MAGMA track De Futura is one of the most intense pieces of music i've ever heard.
it must be at least as heavy as any pre punk song i know.
there is an AMAZING live video of the song on you tube.
please check it out - it doesn't sound like the other MAGMA stuff that i know.

(sorry, i don't know how to make links.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back