Probably the most depressing thing you'll read this morning. (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
A spokesman at Wexford Garda station said they were not treating the death as suspicious.

He said it looked like the man had been dead for a long time. The woman who raised the alarm did so because she thought it was odd that the Christmas tree was still up in spring with its lights still on.

Investigating officers are now trying to piece together how the man’s death could have gone unnoticed for so long in a busy street close to the centre of town.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0320/1224313581812.html

The one-storey house where the man lived is widely known as the smallest house in Wexford.The deceased’s name was not being officially released until the man’s family had been informed of his passing.

eeh

I know that house. My old man used to point it out to me any time we were in Wexford.

The sad thing for me is that this is someone that is not missed by a soul for three months but still goes to all the effort of putting up a tree and decorations.
He looked forward to it, picked the day, made decisions on what should go where.
Maybe had a nice cup of tea as a reward afterwards.
All that for no one but him.

I rang the cops one time because of christmas lights too. It was about 3 weeks into january and they were on all hours of the night or day. When I rang the cops the first thing they asked was if an elderly person lived there. This particular house was lived in by a middle-aged woman and her son. The woman was away at the time, while the son is a bit of a junkie. The reason I rang was cos I figured he'd overdosed or something, and I didn't really want his ma coming home from her hols finding him dead on the floor.

Turned out he wasn't dead. He just wasn't coherent enough at any stage of the day or not to turn them off.

I felt bad for ringing then.

Not sure the relevance of that story to this, but it struck me when someone said that this man was the sort to just keep himself to himself. That being the case, what do you do? If he was a loaner by choice, unfortunately this kind of thing is liable to happen. Its sad, but perhaps a consequence of the life he chose. Or if he didn't choose to live like this, and just struggled around people, then that makes it even more tragic.

When I'm a lonely old bolix, there is no way I'm putting up christmas decorations.

Don't have a facebook account and don't want one. Unreal how people freely post their business incl pics for all and sundry to see.

Dense.

Yep, make use of the privacy settings... set everything to friends only, set up lists for acquiantances and groups, have a non face profile picture and deny having a facebook page to anyone you don't want to be friends with :D

Yep, make use of the privacy settings... set everything to friends only, set up lists for acquiantances and groups, have a non face profile picture and deny having a facebook page to anyone you don't want to be friends with :D

Didn't know that but it has had some security issues hasn't it?

Didn't know that but it has had some security issues hasn't it?

They change the privacy settings from time to time, so it's important to keep an eye on them, and there are the same password security concerns there are for any other logged in internet tool (email, paypal, online shopping etc.) but as with anything a little common sense and taking appropriate precautions can help to avoid trouble.

On the original topic of the thread... it's very sad to think that someone could be that alone, without any friends or family wondering where they'd been for three months.

On the original topic of the thread... it's very sad to think that someone could be that alone, without any friends or family wondering where they'd been for three months.

I wouldn't mind it so much, now I think of it.
You wouldn't be upsetting anyone too much. No one would miss you really. There'd be very little pain for others.
I can see the sadness, obviously. But there's something to be said for living a solitary life if you choose it.

It's the decorations that kill me. He clearly had some desire to be involved with the world. It just wasn't reciprocated.

It's the decorations that kill me. He clearly had some desire to be involved with the world. It just wasn't reciprocated.

Yeah, I was thinking much the same as you, I think it's probably distressing for the neighbours etc, but if you chose to live and die alone then that's a valid choice. I just wonder if he really chose that.

But I'm remembering a woman years ago who lived in the same building as me, she was only dead 3 days before she was found, but I knew her, and she was so lonely. She had family who kept in contact occasionally but still felt very isolated, not helped by her failing memory, some days she would recognise me and greet me as a friend and others she wouldn't know who I was so I always left it to her to initiate conversation and though she called me (sometimes at all hours of the morning) looking for someone to talk to I never called her (because it might have distressed her if she couldn't place me) or dropped around.

When she was found I felt guity and sometime I wonder if I should have done something differently. I'm sure that there are people around Wexford who feel the same about this guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back