Prince RIP (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He was right. Luka is a great song. It's perfect.
I love the guitar parts.

Lili -
I must ask you about one of the great unresolved matters in the thumped universe:
HOW DID YOU GET INTO PRINCE?

As you're too young to remember his peak years, how did this come to be?
I love a huge amount of 80's music that I was too young to hear at the time but even then I am lot older than you are...

The short version is he played that 21 nights in London and I went, "oh jeez, I better give him more than a cursory listen because I know i'm going to regret not going"

You'd be correct that I didn't like him growing up, the only songs I knew were Diamonds and Pearls and The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, so to me he was just this slick ballad guy when I was getting into guitar music.

well, what era are we talking about? what age were you? and how did you become aware of him?
that would do - Thanks!
Fucking 23, circa 2007! I edited my post up there to add my thoughts as a kid: the only songs I knew were Diamonds and Pearls and The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, so to me he was just this slick ballad guy when I was getting into guitar music. I was aware of the Batman and Purple Rain soundtracks, and I guess i knew 1999 and Kiss, but I had never listened to them.

So, also, I can be weirdly systematic about getting into things at times, I tend to buy a bunch of albums in the order they were released in to see if I can get a feel for an artist. I want to know what they have to say, not how they can be the soundtrack to my life, you know? Treat it seriously I guess. Some people think that's a really weird way of getting into stuff, the "If I like it I like it and if I don't I don't " people, and fair enough, but I kind of stopped listening to stuff in that way by the time I was 18.

Prince had been hovering around my orbit for ages, he's such a big name and I knew he was a major pillar of 80s pop music, but I was very hesitant about jumping in due to the daunting back catalogue, but I was listening to so much new-wavey 80s pop at the time, Adam Ant, Human League, Heaven 17, ABC, XTC etc. etc. that I knew I had to make the jump. I was also very conscious of how white a lot of these bands were as I remember a mate calling me on this, saying I only liked stuff by white people, which wasn't quite the case, I liked reggae and some rap, but he was certainly onto something.

Anyway, when listening in order it took until Controversy for it to click, which is a bit mad because I see his second album and Dirty Mind to be so commercial and hooky now, but I had to get into the Prince mindset I guess.

Last edited:
Cheers Lili -
you're nearly a decade younger than me so it's interesting to hear your perspective.

despite my age a combo of being the eldest kid in the house, Radio 1 being the household station of choice, not having UK TV channels etc. means I never heard new pop staples like Tainted Love, Rio, Poison Arrow, Love Action etc until the 90's. I have no memory of hearing Don't You Want Me until 1988 either.

similarly I never heard Red Corvette until the 1990's.
A friend of mine in 88/89 had Controversy on tape. he didn't like it and I tried to buy it off him but he wanted what he paid. that was meeean. so I said ''no''.

Cheers Lili -
you're nearly a decade younger than me so it's interesting to hear your perspective.

despite my age a combo of being the eldest kid in the house, Radio 1 being the household station of choice, not having UK TV channels etc. means I never heard new pop staples like Tainted Love, Rio, Poison Arrow, Love Action etc until the 90's. I have no memory of hearing Don't You Want Me until 1988 either.

similarly I never heard Red Corvette until the 1990's.
A friend of mine in 88/89 had Controversy on tape. he didn't like it and I tried to buy it off him but he wanted what he paid. that was meeean. so I said ''no''.
I never heard Little Red Corvette on the radio, I think that one never made it this side of the atlantic, it was his USA breakout song though.

So in the late 90s I still remember the idea that the 80s were "the decade that taste forgot" being banded around, and for a long time I just wrote off everyone from the 1980s. Punk was good, Disco was good, funk was good, then everything was terrible for a decade, and then stuff started to pick up again. I wrote off a lot of stuff based on this as a teenager. And you'd listen to 70s bands, The Clash, The Cure, the Police etc. and you would struggle with their 80s stuff at first, so it seemed to be true. I think it took a while before we could mentally handle 80s production again.

I have a vivid memory of listening to Duran Duran's Rio album aged 18 and thinking "huh, this is actually pretty good, even with that 80s sheen."

Having said that, i'm sympathetic to the idea that pop music went to crap the day after Live Aid and has never really recovered fully.

Last edited:
My earliest memories of Prince are Kiss and Boys And Girls. I was very into top of the pops and new songs around that time. Before that I just liked things I happened to hear by chance, I probably new he existed a bit earlier.

Looks like it got a push a few times as there are releases from 82/83/84. It's more likely I heard it moreso in 84. I'd imagine by that time it was more likely to have been a chart success.

Where's nlgbbbblth when you need him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back