PR people are evil (1 Viewer)

our band hired a pr lady for a single release, did some cool stuff for us that i'm not sure we could have got ourselves like tg4 tv slot and a 98fm acoustic session, kind of things we didnt even bother looking for on our last release.

it costs a bit of money but all in all i guess it comes back to you if people like the songs when they hear it in on the radio (which you might not have been able to get yourself) and then come to your gigs.

i'm happy we did it, but i'm not sure if we would do it again to be honest because i'm not sure if the cash we spent was worth what we got out of it

i dont think we got radio play that we wouldnt have got ourselves in places that are relevent to us. when i say relevent to us i mean that despite having played in lots of places around the country the costs of gigging outside dublin are often inhibitive because none of us in the band own a car or mode of transport, and its all well and good getting radio play outside the pale but its a bit of a pity if you cant back it up with shows and the like :(

Hmm

Much to consider

I guess me personal problem is wonderin if tis worth shellin out to promote this, or save me money to do more productive things (like recordin further music)...this aside from the "ethical" issues alluded to earlier...whinge moan confusion etc

Jimmy Magee said:
Hmm

Much to consider

I guess me personal problem is wonderin if tis worth shellin out to promote this, or save me money to do more productive things (like recordin further music)...this aside from the "ethical" issues alluded to earlier...whinge moan confusion etc
do you want to be famous or create great innovative music? or both? PR people are just talent scouts, if you're not relevant, they're not really going to bother with you. if they want you to pay them up front for doing X, Y, Z... it doesn't necessarily imply you'll get any great payoff. ask yourself... "am i current and relevant?" if the answer is "yes", someone else would have picked up on it by now and they'd be offering you their services for free. if the answer is "i'm not really sure...", i dunno... do your own PR work.

hag said:
do you want to be famous or create great innovative music? or both? PR people are just talent scouts, if you're not relevant, they're not really going to bother with you. if they want you to pay them up front for doing X, Y, Z... it doesn't necessarily imply you'll get any great payoff. ask yourself... "am i current and relevant?" if the answer is "yes", someone else would have picked up on it by now and they'd be offering you their services for free. if the answer is "i'm not really sure...", i dunno... do your own PR work.
Yesh, this is the direction in which I'm leanin meself

Jimmy Magee said:
Hmm

Much to consider

I think you should hire a PR company so the rest of us can find out if it's worthwhile or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back