post what you're listening to and say something about it (3 Viewers)

currently listening to throwing muses - hunkpapa, and thinking:
*this was the walkman soundtrack to my life for a large chunk of second year in college.
*my god, i remember all the words! same with lots of albums i owned in my youth, probably because i had so few of them. well, compared with now.
*"fall down" is an absolutely amazing song.
*this cd rerelease has "santa claus" on it, which i first heard on a free tape i got with the melody maker. nostalgia-tastic.

thanks, i'm waiting for it to pop up on record tho
tho the last time it did it got a bit pricey for me

its like 'the zombies that ate pittsburgh', ive been trying to get that for years and everytime it appears the price always ends up at around $50

yeah the candyman soundtrack is rad - kinda funny going from koyanasquatsi to candyman...although candyman is the shit - no disrepect to that movie.

i'm listening to the wu tang clan. 36 chambers. i remember getting this hwen i was 14 on casette and being like "woah" and my cousin gave me shit for playing it non stop for a weekend - the front and back art is amazing - i have no idea why they went away from the faceless hooded look on their covers in favour of uh whatever bullshit they threw up afterwards. ghostface kills it straight off! and ghost face looks rad all faceless and blurry in the proper group shot on the inside.
i'm guessing the soundtrack to kill bill doesn't sound like this?

hugh said:
. Please dont start the first album I ever owned conversation now. I'm sorry I brought it up ..

iron maiden - 'killers' ! i lost it pretty shortly afterwards though and me ma went crazy. damien bought it for me again for my 21st i think. sweet present.

andrew

Wilbert is big into Thin Lizzy

and Black Betty by the Ram Jam Band

he's always singing:

oh oh Black Betty bam a lam
Black Betty had a child bama lam
The damn thing gone blind bam a lam
She says it were not-a mine bam a lam
The dern thing gone blind bam a lam

...while playing air guitar, knees to the floor

Incidentally, the whole "bam a lam" thing is a Hari Krishna chant type thing. Chanting for rednecks. Did you know that? It's completely true.

Wu-Tang legend says that they had their faces covered because a couple of them had warrents out for their arrest at the time.

snakybus said:
Wilbert is big into Thin Lizzy

and Black Betty by the Ram Jam Band

he's always singing:

Black Betty had a child bama lam
The damn thing gone blind bam a lam
She says it were not-a mine bam a lam
The dern thing gone blind bam a lam

...while playing air guitar, knees to the floorQUOTE]

:eek:
I could protest my innocence but I fear it would make me look guilty.
I'll get you for this, Snaky!
We need a "shaking fist" icon around here.

GEORGE JONES - The Definitive Country Collection

Since Johnny Cashs' untimely death it's very easy nowadays to profess a liking for 'country cool' and the natural bandwagon jumping that follows a singers death usually leads to everyone suddenly saying that singer was such and such and so and so and had such an influence on me etc etc etc.. But George Jones' doesn't need to die for any of us to re-evaluate his legacy or his majestic stature as a true country giant. He has a voice of pure velvet, lyrics that bring out the haunted in all of us and no matter how bleak he goes, it never gets too much for the listener to bear.

At present, his song "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" has a particular resonance in the wake of Cashes death: "You know this old world is full of singers / But just a few are chosen / To tear your heart out when they sing / Imagine life without them / All your, radio heroes / Like the outlaw that walks through Jesse's dream

No, there will never be another / Red-headed stranger / A Man in Black and Folsom Prison Blues / The Okie from Muskogee / Or Hello Darling / Lord I wonder, who's gonna fill their shoes..."

There'll be few capable of ever filling the shoes of George Jones or indeed Johnny Cash.

Yes, I have been at the office sherry. Hic!

venetian snares - breakbeat malaria

its slightly distracting me from my essay 'Sustainable Urban Design and the Convivial City' but I love it.

I'm listening to March to Fuzz by Mudhoney, which is a double album compilation thingy (roughly 50 songs) of their early stuff.
Great album, great songs like In 'N' Out Of Grace, Let It Slide, Ounce Of Deception...bleedin deadly rock music...i havent heard any of their recent stuff though...i hear its not that hot though...pity.

the new album by meanwhile, back in communist russia...

it's perilously close to goth at points, but most of the time it's excellent, with a few really standout bits. there's nods to prolapse (girl blankly monologuing over rolling guitars), early mogwai (like, pre-young team, glockenspiel-era), the for carnation (mostly quiet brooding sounds), 90 day men (cool 2-chord piano stuff), joy division (the aul synth drums n' swooshy keyboards) and sonic youth (of course). however, it's pretty original in its own right, and lyrics are all about seastorms in winter, as far as i can see.

there's a site: www.meanwhilebackincommunistrussia.com

Anthony said:
Where did you get Volcano, brady? Yea bring that Jellyfish cd to the party, was i supposed to copy you something? Ghost Of A Dog maybe?
I got it from amazon.com for $11 or something. I got Ghost of a Dog & Picture Perfect Morning from there too a while back so that's all cool.

I have that Jellyfish CDR in work since back then.... i might have to burn it again. Winner.

Now playing: Forget what it's called, but the CD of the Bill Cullen sketches from The Last Word. Amazing.

NecroSteve said:
I have a Reign In Blood picture LP. I'm better than you. :p
I have both the regular LP and the picture disc LP

so there

tongue.gif

Currently playing Cocteau Twins Aikea Guinea 12"

earlier was Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works 85-92
---------------------------------------------------------------------
couldn't believe when I first heard this. an amazing atmospheric record

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back