buying an album. listening to it once and thinking, 'I might not listen to that again' (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

Basically, bought an album by Brigette Fontaine a week or two ago. her self titled 1972 LP. Put it on last night for the first time. Utterly unimpressed. A lot of the album is pretty shit (in my opinion anyway) songs in a minimal avant folk styling with a lot of spoken french word throughout the record. Rarely happens I'll be turned off a record after one spin that I will say to myself 'I'll happily never listen to this again' and think about selling it immediately. (Have never sold an album I didn't have a duplicate of). Any albums out there that people have bought themselves, listened to once and then left to rot on the shelves/moved on immediately without a second spin? surely not that common a thing? especially if chosen yourself/knowing your own taste. It's rare that a record can be that bad for the buyer.

Fontaine has done pretty broad variety of albums so wouldn't rule out taking a punt on some of her stuff again some time with some proper research but anything like this shite I couldn't sit through. Maybe the words are really profound and powerful and I'm missing out here. Although, now that I think about it, will probably give it another listen over the weekend anyway which pisses all over my thread title a little

Took a punt on Laura Marling after seeing an excellent clip of her from Later on youtube. Got her album A Creature I Don't know. Hate it. Just tried it again, lasted 10 seconds of the vocals. Still hate it.

this was a big problem pre-internet, when all you had to go on was the written word

you kids wouldn't understand
Wayyyyy too many to even start mentioning. Pay day always brought out the record shop risk taking. For every 50 chances you took, you'd do well to come away with 2/or 3 keepers. But when you got one, it validated the money wasted on the shite

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back