Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

yes, it was quite great.

However I have one minor issue with it. An issue that only a total Pink Floyd nerd can relate to. Hence I need Shaney ; to go to this gig to see if he agrees with me.

Come on, out with it so...

My only flaw was his miming the lyrics to Comfortably Numb, he seemed to be just hanging around, he should have done something better.

no, not til tomorrow cos I could spoiler it a bit

he mimed to a few songs. Or parts of a few songs. Like the shouty part of Waiting for the Worms.

I forgive him though.

Harry is still a scruffy git and I was a little disappointed Andy Fairweather-Low wasn't in the band. Snowy White is still shit-cool.

Scutter, I'm not going. I still regret going to see Pink Floyd in 1994. Too many illusions were shattered.

What do mean he mimed comfortably numb? i hope you mean he just mouthed along to the chorus. Did the session muso sing on top of the wall?

There was some speculation a few years ago that roger was miming the very high notes at his concerts, cant recall if there was any official confirmation or denial.

I mean miming as in he was acting out the lyrics, it was a but cringy. I forgive him though. I was too far back to notice if hen was actually miming to a vocal track.

oh yea, the 'out of the corner of my eye', and he pointing to the corner of his eye.

He actually proper mimed bits of it. Possibly some of The Trial, but deffo the shouty bits of 'Waiting for the Worms'

Shaney ; yep, yer man was singing from the top of the wall, and the guitarist (not snowy) did the solo from up there too.

firstly a disclaimer - my perspective on a lot of Pink Floyd related things is a little skewed. I got into them when I was about 13 and they were the first band I ever really liked. So stuff I liked about them might not have been due to the fact that it was good. The stuff I liked back then I still like now. Kinda like the argument we had before about Radio KAOS. Teenage me loved that, hence I still love it, even though its rubbish.

I got my first copy of The Wall on CD when I was around 16. I hated it at first but, because it was one of about 20 albums I owned at the time I listened to it over and over, determined to like it (it was one of the last Floyd albums I heard - incidently the first was Ummagumma). I always thought it a pretty dark piece of work. Later I wondered whether Waters was being ironic and was there some underlying humour in there but, other than the outlandish caricature-ish animations by Gerald Scarfe, I couldn't really see any. The whole thing was quite depressing, but I kind of liked that it was (it was well suited to broody, teenage me). I thought the movie quite depressing, even moreso when I read Geldof's book and what he said about acting in it - basically he thought Waters was a prick and only did it for the money (that must be the strangest casting ever).

I wasn't even aware of what a shit Waters was at that stage of Pink Floyd. I only heard about that later, but again, it added to the darkness of it. He was a prick, but probably had to be a prick to come out with that stuff - lets face it, The Wall is a pretty self-indulgent piece of work. I only really found out about that stuff when MTV became loads of music channels and some of them started showing documentaries on Pink Floyd. I recall BBC showing one - it was around the time of Pulse and they followed it with a concert from Earls Court (I'm sure I still have it on video somewhere).

Anyways, all of that shit together was what The Wall was for me. Not just a bunch of songs, but a bunch of songs written by an egomaniac, recorded under a cloud, with an off-the-wall movie, an excessive stage-show, and became something which ultimately ended Pink Floyd.

The problem I had with last night then was that I really wanted it to live up to that. The performance was almost flawless. The stage-show was spectacular (I can see why it was 90 quid a ticket). Despite the extravagance, they wanted to remind people of the underlying themes of The Wall - war and that shit. Like, the imagery, as you'd expect, was pretty shocking at times. During the interval they showed pictured of people who'd been killed in wars, with an accompanying paragraph about them (apparently Roger fans sent that stuff in to have it shown). But, throughout the show Waters was just a little bit too happy for my liking, and that kind of ruined the buzz a little but.

It started with Mother. They cleverly played images from a late-70s gig with Waters singing the song, and his present-day self played along with it. But, when he introduced the piece he said he was going to sing along to his 'fucked up self from 30 years ago' - an admission that hes no longer fucked up. And he very definitely isn't. I dunno what happy pills he was on, but jaysis was he happy. He kept referring to the show in the point in 2002 as if it was some kind of saviour to him, and how it caused him to love playing to audiences again and how it inspired him, etc, etc (I've no doubt he has a similar type story about some gig from 10 years ago in <insert your country here>, but if his objective was to make the crowd think that this show was special to him, that this show was different and better than all the others, it certainly worked - fair fucks to him on that score). Then he gave a speil about how hes a changed man. How once, Roger Waters hated playing for audiences but now, how hes changed and how it means so much to him that we were all there.

And don't get me wrong, that was lovely to hear and all (even if it wasn't sincere), but not during The Wall. Maybe he should save that shit for other gigs, like his last one which was a Pink Floyd karaoke set (that was a brutal gig - the 2002 one was great though).

Anyways, that sounds a bit fucked up. I was up the front with the superfans who are following him everywhere (saddos). None of them seemed to mind at all.

Shaney ; tell me I'm not mad!!

firstly a disclaimer - my perspective on a lot of Pink Floyd related things is a little skewed. I got into them when I was about 13 and they were the first band I ever really liked. So stuff I liked about them might not have been due to the fact that it was good. The stuff I liked back then I still like now. Kinda like the argument we had before about Radio KAOS. Teenage me loved that, hence I still love it, even though its rubbish.

I got my first copy of The Wall on CD when I was around 16. I hated it at first but, because it was one of about 20 albums I owned at the time I listened to it over and over, determined to like it (it was one of the last Floyd albums I heard - incidently the first was Ummagumma). I always thought it a pretty dark piece of work. Later I wondered whether Waters was being ironic and was there some underlying humour in there but, other than the outlandish caricature-ish animations by Gerald Scarfe, I couldn't really see any. The whole thing was quite depressing, but I kind of liked that it was (it was well suited to broody, teenage me). I thought the movie quite depressing, even moreso when I read Geldof's book and what he said about acting in it - basically he thought Waters was a prick and only did it for the money (that must be the strangest casting ever).

I wasn't even aware of what a shit Waters was at that stage of Pink Floyd. I only heard about that later, but again, it added to the darkness of it. He was a prick, but probably had to be a prick to come out with that stuff - lets face it, The Wall is a pretty self-indulgent piece of work. I only really found out about that stuff when MTV became loads of music channels and some of them started showing documentaries on Pink Floyd. I recall BBC showing one - it was around the time of Pulse and they followed it with a concert from Earls Court (I'm sure I still have it on video somewhere).

Anyways, all of that shit together was what The Wall was for me. Not just a bunch of songs, but a bunch of songs written by an egomaniac, recorded under a cloud, with an off-the-wall movie, an excessive stage-show, and became something which ultimately ended Pink Floyd.

The problem I had with last night then was that I really wanted it to live up to that. The performance was almost flawless. The stage-show was spectacular (I can see why it was 90 quid a ticket). Despite the extravagance, they wanted to remind people of the underlying themes of The Wall - war and that shit. Like, the imagery, as you'd expect, was pretty shocking at times. During the interval they showed pictured of people who'd been killed in wars, with an accompanying paragraph about them (apparently Roger fans sent that stuff in to have it shown). But, throughout the show Waters was just a little bit too happy for my liking, and that kind of ruined the buzz a little but.

It started with Mother. They cleverly played images from a late-70s gig with Waters singing the song, and his present-day self played along with it. But, when he introduced the piece he said he was going to sing along to his 'fucked up self from 30 years ago' - an admission that hes no longer fucked up. And he very definitely isn't. I dunno what happy pills he was on, but jaysis was he happy. He kept referring to the show in the point in 2002 as if it was some kind of saviour to him, and how it caused him to love playing to audiences again and how it inspired him, etc, etc (I've no doubt he has a similar type story about some gig from 10 years ago in <insert your country here>, but if his objective was to make the crowd think that this show was special to him, that this show was different and better than all the others, it certainly worked - fair fucks to him on that score). Then he gave a speil about how hes a changed man. How once, Roger Waters hated playing for audiences but now, how hes changed and how it means so much to him that we were all there.

And don't get me wrong, that was lovely to hear and all (even if it wasn't sincere), but not during The Wall. Maybe he should save that shit for other gigs, like his last one which was a Pink Floyd karaoke set (that was a brutal gig - the 2002 one was great though).

Anyways, that sounds a bit fucked up. I was up the front with the superfans who are following him everywhere (saddos). None of them seemed to mind at all.

Shaney ; tell me I'm not mad!!

I know exactly what you mean.

in summary - I need Roger Waters to be fucked up and to be a prick for him to live up to my expectation of him

I'd want to Roger to be sneering and a bit intimidating. Did he say anything about weak people before Run Like hell?

Starting with Mother is odd. Was the whole running order rearranged?

I'd want to Roger to be sneering and a bit intimidating. Did he say anything about weak people before Run Like hell?

Starting with Mother is odd. Was the whole running order rearranged?

Yes, I listened to 'Is There Anybody Out There' this morning (the live Wall they released a few years back). It was exactly the same - 'Is anybody here paranoid?'.

And he didn't start the gig with Mother. He started the happy shit with Mother. The running order was exactly as per the film (rather than the album - he included songs such as 'What Shall We Do' (one of my favourite songs from the Wall, even though it didn't make the album)

I see what you mean scutter, i'd prefer if he just hadn't talked at all to the audience throughout the gig. Maybe a thank you here and there but yeah he was really happy and it cheesed it up a bit. In saying that, i'm still glad i want and it was definately worth the money.

The lads should get back together and do a meddle tour.

a meddle tour would be deadly. Like, really deadly. I'd say Waters is a lot more agreeable in general these days (probably cos he married that young model recently - there was a big piece on him in the sunday times magazine about 2 weeks ago - I'd be happy too if I'd done that at his age), and so I wouldn't be surprised if he was to collaborate a little bit more with Gilmour (Mason seems to have vanished from sight completely this past while), though in what form, who knows.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they released an album at the end of this tour. He released one after his last one, and released one after that awful The Wall concert in Berlin in 1991 (I remember that so well - rubbish band after rubbish band massacring the songs). And if he did, I'd buy it, albeit begrudgingly.

I'd love if they dug up a little more older stuff. Like gigs from the 70s or whatever, and released those. Releasing 'Is There Anybody Out There' with its fancy packaging, I thought was deadly. Great to listen to, great to look at. It'd be great if they released more of that kind of thing from different eras of the band. I'm sure someone somewhere has lots of those kinds of recordings.

A waters/gilmour collaboration of some sort might be decent enough. Gilmour's last album had some decent tunes with appalling lyrics so Roger could look after those. Any kind of PF reunion at this stage would be an absolute travesty.

Lads, it was 1990. I had a shite 2CD + Video + shitty booklet boxset of the event. He gave Sinead O'Connor a good slagging in this amusing Who The Hell piece in Q magazine after the event if thats any consolation to you.

Rog said:
He doesn't much care for Sinead O'Connor!
(Ms O'Connor appeared at Water's 1990 performance of The Wall in Berlin, in aid of Leonard Cheshire's Memorial Fund For Disaster Relief.) "It was very, very hard work organizing that Wall concert but everyone was fabulous to work with - Bryan Adams, Van Morrison, Cyndi Lauper, bloody brilliant. All brilliant. Except for Sinead O'Connor. Oh, God! I have never ever met anybody who is so self-involved and unprofessional and big-headed and unpleasant. She is so far up her own bum it's scary. With The Wall, she was so worried that there weren't any other (_adopts Irish "brogue"_) 'young people on the show'. I and everybody else were old farts in her opinion so she was worried that she was doing something that wasn't 'street' enough. And because it wasn't 'street' enough, she came up with this brilliant idea: she said that I should employ Ice-T or one of those people to re-work one of my songs as a rap number! I am not joking! And neither was she fucking joking! That's the sad thing - she was serious! And then a couple of months after the show, when the record was out, she did an interview on American television, millions of viewers, and she rubbished the whole thing, said the Wall concert was a load of wank. I don't give a fuck what she though about it but she should have kept her fucking mouth shut because it could only hurt the charity, the memorial fund and everything that Leonard (Cheshire) had done. She doesn't understand anything. She's just a silly little girl. You can't just lie in the corner and shave your bloody head and stick up your arse and occasionally pull it out to go (_"brogue"_) 'Oh, I tink this is wrong and dat is wrong' and burst into tears."

I note that RW also seems to think it's perfectly reasonable to say:

"When those people went out calling themselves Pink Floyd, it made me very, very gloomy. And it made them very happy. Well, I don't know if it did make them happy. I don't think they are happy, actually. You should ask them. Ask them: 'Are you happy? You sold out. You sold out everything. Did it make you happy?' I mean, how can they find it within themselves to go on stage and do my songs - songs from The Wall? I wrote The Wall as an attack on stadium rock - and there's 'Pink Floyd' making money out of it by playing it in stadiums! Oh well, that's for them to live with."

And now he's touring The Wall, in stadia, around the world.

Selling out I guess... and being...miserable?

Lads, it was 1990. I had a shite 2CD + Video + shitty booklet boxset of the event. He gave Sinead O'Connor a good slagging in this amusing Who The Hell piece in Q magazine after the event if thats any consolation to you.

Rog said:
occasionally pull it out to go (_"brogue"_) 'Oh, I tink this is wrong and dat is wrong' and burst into tears."

actually, that was another thing. He kept taking the piss out of the Irish accent last night.

but that doesn't make him the prick he needed to be to pull this shit off

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back