Phantom v Zed (was:mcd v hotpress) (1 Viewer)

Re: mcd v hotpress

Rimbaud said:
Hot press/mcd/wrestling....this has got to be the worst thread ever...:(
dudley boys + tommy dreamer + table + FIRE = best thread ever more like

They sure is and they can afford it too with the price of their bloody tickets!!

Estimated spend in EURO 2004
1 Diagio 20,511,071
2 MCD 20,136,479
3 Procter & Gamble 16,253,961
4 Vodafone 13,368,025
5 Tesco 13,250,263
6 Sherry Fitzgerald 12,777,086
7 Hamilton Osborne King 12,399,604
8 LIDL 11,558,167
9 Hooke & Mac Donald 9,822,689
10 Reckitt Benckiser 9,595,250
11 Eircom 9,124,296
12 Dunnes Stores 8,969,132
13 Coca Cola 8,539,611
14 O2 8,317,991
15 Xtra - Vision 7,415,227
16 Super Valu 7,414,744
17 UF2 7,205,977
18 Kelloggs 7,186,569
19 Douglas Newman Good 7,176,658
20 Glaxo SmithKline 7,108,715

cassette/tape said:
so anyone know anything about this?

*apparently* MCD pulled all its advertising from Hotpress due to the Zed fm v Phantom Lawsuit, even the whelans and village ads are gone.

Hotpress, really the only established irish music magazine V irelands main promotions company.

i wonder what sort of situation is developing here? are the two companies displaying arrogance that they can shun the other? will the situation relax after the BCI finally decide on a indie rock licence?

any thoughts?

it'd be cheaper for mcd to do their own free magazine like the fly or something rather than advertisng in hot press and the like

Like bill hicks says, it ain't a war unless both sides are fighting. What are Hot Press doing in retaliation?

And don't MCD own a part of the Reading/Leeds festivals now? So doesn't that make them slightly bigger than Hit Piss?

Jim A. Morrish said:
it'd be cheaper for mcd to do their own free magazine like the fly or something rather than advertisng in hot press and the like

who would print it jim??

man MCD are fucking turbo massive. i think their like involved in pretty much every major festival in ireland and england what with their association with mean fiddler now and yer man dennis desmond is an investor in Phantom. Apparantley thought Mcd's advertising in hotpress amounts to very very little. something like a half a page an issue. they pulled advertising in hotpress something 6 wks ago.

bottom line, fuck'em, stop playing music and watch more wrestling.

Who really gives a shit?

Hot Press is a complete rag and MCD are ignorant overcharging cunts.

A few months ago Hot Press had an ad campaign, covered with quotes from all their under-educated boring columnists like Jane Sexton and Olaf Tyrannsen. The ad with their politics corresponedent said something like "The Problem with this pasty-faced country is that there aren't enough refugees".
It had been put up on a sidestreet off Liffey Street and some wag had written "I am also an Idiot" underneath the quote, it was kinda ironic that this weisenheimer had displayed more wit than anyone in the history of Shit Press.

I hope a disgruntled MCD employee torches their offices.

cassette/tape said:
so anyone know anything about this?

*apparently* MCD pulled all its advertising from Hotpress due to the Zed fm v Phantom Lawsuit, even the whelans and village ads are gone.

Hotpress, really the only established irish music magazine V irelands main promotions company.

i wonder what sort of situation is developing here? are the two companies displaying arrogance that they can shun the other? will the situation relax after the BCI finally decide on a indie rock licence?

any thoughts?

Jim A. Morrish said:
It might also give ireland it's first decent music mag.

hmm start a magazine funded by mcd advertising money and give at away for free?
hmm

As always, obviously I cant talk about any specifics of the case but the update is that we (BCI and Zed with us as observers) were all back in the High Court this morning. Case was adjourned again for yet another week while discovery issues continue to be worked on. Such a complete waste of our time and Zeds money.

Pete

But if MCD were to do their own mag would they bother distributing it to the sticks? Maybe if Jim prints it they might ;)

Hot Press cannot be taken seriously anymore anyways. It's a frightfully dated organisation in all respects and it would be tremendous to see Niall Stokes' sour grapes destroy the company. Was he in court today Pete?

fin, i always get really defensive when people slag off the dole on the internet

haha only buzzin, love!!

Alan Latchley said:
But if MCD were to do their own mag would they bother distributing it to the sticks? Maybe if Jim prints it they might ;)

Hot Press cannot be taken seriously anymore anyways. It's a frightfully dated organisation in all respects and it would be tremendous to see Niall Stokes' sour grapes destroy the company. Was he in court today Pete?

the distribution is the easy bit.

I imagine mcd's pockets are a hell of a lot deeper than HPs so HP need mcd a hell of a lot more than MCD need HP.

MCD could very easily bring out their own wee Fly-type mag, whether it would have any objectivity is another matter. The Fly mag is an arm/tentacle of the Barfly organisation who have several venues all over england.

There's plenty of out of work journalists out there who'd take the mdc shilling in order to put the thing together, mcd have their own art dept already so it'd be relatively easy-peasy-japanesy to put together.

I imagine it would cover only mcd events (though i could be wrong) so independent promoters might not get their stuff into it, but then they rarely get any decent coverage in HP either so no real change to the status quo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back