Phantom is back on the air today so it is (6 Viewers)

Anyone heard anything played that was released this year??
Seems like an awful lot of ould stuff being played...like whelans
w/e ould stuff... I mean...the Killers 'Mr Bright Eyes'???
- there must be more recent Killers tracks to play... no?

Sure it'll take some time to get their new 'sound' going but I
havent quite managed to identify the demigraph Phantom are
aiming at from what I've listened to so far... then again I'm no
expert on demigraphics....All I know is I dont count!!!

It's obvious what demographic they're going for. They're going for the casual indie fan who buys a few CD's a year and then goes and see's the frames and the killers at the point. And those bands/fans fill the point, so that is the correct demographic to go for.

If they decided to play what a lot of people here would consider cutting edge music they would have 50 listeners, as someone rightly pointed out earlier in this thread.

XFM in london started with principles, I remember excitedly tuning in at midday the first day. First song was kick out the jamms, they had a wide a varied playlist, a great afternoon show hosted by Rick Gervais, Steve Merchant with David Keenan producing. Sadly the figures were crap and the got bought out by capital radio. Now it plays about 20 obvious songs on repeat during the day and it has gone national.

That's not to say XFM doesn't have good shows, but during the day when you're attracting the highest amount of people, you have to go for the lowest common denominator.

well said, stan...

...although i was just reading that edel's show gave a healthy dose of some decent stuff...

...anyway, what is the w/end schedule like?... are there actually any interesting looking slots?

Mailed em about the stream and they don't have the capacity for the demand they're getting. I guess they'll sort it out
I got your email Cormac, but only later on cos I was too freaked out by everything so forgot to check the emails. I feel like my brain has been quartered, jesus. thanks for all your kind words. Hopefully by next week it will sound like I know what I'm doing. xxe

I agree below this strongly.
People always complain about the radio like its some sort of conspiracy.
Its business and they give the people what they want..(sometimes tell them what they want!).
I think there should be room for some decent shows on there too though.
You know who's idea of "Alternative" isnt playing the smashing pumpkins.

Incidently the demographic you describe are the exact type of music fan that irritates me. They have the pretence and snobbery but a closed mind.

It's obvious what demographic they're going for. They're going for the casual indie fan who buys a few CD's a year and then goes and see's the frames and the killers at the point. And those bands/fans fill the point, so that is the correct demographic to go for.

If they decided to play what a lot of people here would consider cutting edge music they would have 50 listeners, as someone rightly pointed out earlier in this thread.

XFM in london started with principles, I remember excitedly tuning in at midday the first day. First song was kick out the jamms, they had a wide a varied playlist, a great afternoon show hosted by Rick Gervais, Steve Merchant with David Keenan producing. Sadly the figures were crap and the got bought out by capital radio. Now it plays about 20 obvious songs on repeat during the day and it has gone national.

That's not to say XFM doesn't have good shows, but during the day when you're attracting the highest amount of people, you have to go for the lowest common denominator.

It's UP UP UP UP UP GO GO GO GO. It's exhausting stuff, no let up. Edel's voice and wan-rock was a nice break. Hey the afternoon guy played the Corpo, some song I've never heard before.

Yeah, Edel! Always thinking of yourself!
Groom have an album out you know!?
Mike has two kids that need shoes.
His barefoot children (and wife) are on your conscience now!

Don't worry dude, the groom album is sitting on my desk (and Lynn and I scoffed all that nice chocolate too - bribes always work) and will be incorporated into the show VERY SOON. As for Mike's babies' shoes - tell him First Floor, Brown Thomas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back