People Who Died (3 Viewers)

“I told myself before the game, ‘He’s made of skin and bones just like everyone else,’” said Tarcisio Burgnich, the Italian player charged with defending Pelé in the 1970 WC final. “But I was wrong.”

tyImages_1227541383%20S_SWU_ED1_S01

Look at him. On top of the world like no one before or since.

random thoughts on Pele:
- he reputedly coined the term ''The Beautiful Game'' but even if he didn't it sounds exactly like something he would say.

- Santos FC aren't getting mentioned as much as they should tonight. A previously modest clube, they made a fortune off traveling the world playing lucrative friendlies w/ Pele and it brought huge success especially when they became South American champs and World club champs twice apiece 1962 + 63.

- Pele's other team the NY Cosmos was owned by the Warners Bros corp. Atlantic Records boss Ahmet Etregun was heavily involved and the likes of The Stones regularly attended Cosmos matches.
Apparently the Cosmos players had their own table at Studio 54 (doesn't sound like a good idea!).

- going to the States and learning English served Pele well for the ambassador work and many endorsements that made him extremely wealthy after football. he was a natural at this and even if he was promoting crap like credit cards or his image was on every Coke bottle in Brazil, he seemed to be the same smiley kid from the streets he grew up on. the good vibes stuff was easy for Edson. in spite of having his price I've heard numerous stories of Pele being exceptionally kind to regular folks.

- only a few generations removed from slavery, a charismatic, good looking black guy rising from poverty to become the worlds best footballer and (maybe the first genuinely world famous one) was an empowering image.
although Brazil's dictatorship undoubtedly used their football team's success deflect scrutiny from themselves.

- the closest thing to Pele now might be Kylian Mbappe but he's still not in Pele's league at the moment.
and Kylian will never get kicked around like Pele's generation did.

- England were playing a tour of Brazil in 1964 (please bring back end of season South American tours) and they got tanked 5-1 at the Maracana. Jimmy Greaves was watching another match on the same tour and he recalled Pele was getting the crap kicked out of him by an Argentina defender when Pele turned around headbutted the guy and laid him out, breaking his nose - he didn't get sent off!

- Pele never played at Wembley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back