People Who Died (6 Viewers)

only heard that Alan has died tonight. He always seemed like an affable gent in interviews.
The Associates are one of my favourite bands as often I've said here.
Alan wrote the most amazing music and was such a unique guitarist.
The Associates best known records have Alan's guitars very low in the mix even though he wrote the music.
Their first Peel Session is my favourite one ever recorded for the show.
It has an exhilarating live feel and Alan's guitar work is nice and loud. Only Michael Dempsey is still alive from this line up now...
Peel himself introduces the songs
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RIP Alan, Billy, drummer John Murphy and John and Dale Buffin Griffin (Mott drummer who produced a lot of amazing Peel sessions).

58 from cancer is a little too close for comfort, lads

RIP
Pancreatic cancer is killing a lot of people recently it seems.

Gianluca Vialli was born in 1964 to a wealthy family in Lombardy. His father was a self made millionaire and Luca grew up in huge mansion in Cremona. One thing money can't buy is talent.

Vialli started his career at Cremonese before joining Sampdoria in 1985 were he soon scored in the 1985 Coppa Italia victory over Milan and he also made his debut for Italy that year.
Luca was primarily a striker but could also play on the wing or a deeper position.

Samp were a mediocre outfit until the 1980's when Paolo Mantovani wealthy from the oil business, took over the club. Vialli's early Sampdoria team mates included Souness, Trevor Francis and Roberto Mancini who was paired with Vialli in the second striker role. It turned out to be a perfect match.

Vialli played in all Italy's games in Mexico 86 and was the first choice centre forward for Italy until Italia 1990 inc. scoring v Spain in Euro 88.

Samp were a great cups team and won the 1985,1988 and 1989 Coppa Italia plus the 1990 ECW Cup (also lost 1989 ECWC Final to Barca) but until 1991 couldn't manage better than 4th in Serie A.

In 1990-91 Vujadin Boskov's side got it right. A fine side featuring Pagliuca, Veirchowod, Katenec, Toninho Cerezo, Lombardo plus Mancini and Vialli swept to the Scudetto ahead of European champs AC Milan.
Vialli was top scorer in Serie A with 19 goals.
Local rivals newly promoted Genoa, also finished 4th in the city's most exciting football moment.

The following season Samp progressed to the European Cup Final at Wembley but lost again to Barcelona with Koeman scoring a late free kick.
Nearly 30 years later Vialli (delegation chief) and Lombardo would return to Wembley as part of Mancini's backroom team to guide Italy to victory in Euro 2020 (2021).

By the time Paolo Mantovani died in 1993 his Samp team had already began to break up and after Juventus offered a world record £12 million in summer 1992 Vialli headed for Turin for the next four years.
Vialli scored 85 goals in 223 Serie A games for Sampdoria.

Meanwhile Vialli's international career had stalled. After being Italy's main striker in the run to the Euro 88 semis, Italia 90 on home turf was to be Vialli's moment and the pressure was intense.
Vialli looked badly out of sorts in Italy's first two matches where sub Schillaci saved the day. Questions were asked about Vialli's fitness but nothing was found. Schillaci's took Vialli's place in the team and after not scoring in the tournament Vialli's international career never really recovered.
Despite brilliant club form Vialli made limited impact in the Euro 1992 qualifiers and Italy failed to qualify.
Also Italy coach Arrigo Sacchi was rumoured to have fallen out with Vialli.
He won his last cap in 1992 and finished with 59 caps and 16 goals.

Vialli won the UEFA Cup w/ Juve in 1992-93 but they were initially second fiddle to a dominant AC Milan who played a more attractive brand of football. But from 1994-95 to 1998 they were the best side of the period winning a string of trophies inc. Serie A in 1995 and the 1996 Champions League with Vialli.

In summer 1996 Chelsea's new manager Ruud Gullit signed Vialli. it was a huge new novelty for Italian players to go abroad then and until the mid 90's it was unheard for them to go to England.
Vialli had an up and down time at Chelsea personally with Mark Hughes often preferred but his first season ended with victory in the 1997 FA Cup, Chelsea's first trophy since 1971.
The 1997-98 season brought League Cup and ECW Cup medals with Vialli now as player manager.
Gullit had fallen fell out with owner Ken Bates despite having put Chelsea back on the map. Bates started a now long tradition of the club sacking (often successful) managers regularly.
Vialli got the job in early 1998 but continued playing occasionally until the following season.

He guided Chelsea to another FA Cup in 2000 and made them a much more serious prospect in the league
winning most of his matches in charge. However despite Bates running up huge debts and a team full of European stars like Zola, Desailly and Deschamps they never seriously challenged for the Premier League.
Like Gullit when the end came for Vialli at Stamford Bridge in 2001 it was a shock to most and the club were seen as having again disposed of another talented young manager who had served them well.
But that's just Chelsea for ya.

Luca was now settled in London and married an English woman.
In summer 2001 he surprisingly took the Watford job with Ray Wilkins as his assistant but after a poor season was sacked. Luca never managed again.

After that Vialli had lots of media/pundit work between Italy and England were he remained very popular.
He was always a bit of Prince Charming and had always spoke excellent English with his own twist.

I was fearing the worst when I heard he was in hospital recently.
Footballing wise I'll mostly remember him for his best days at Sampdoria with Mancini. The Monday night Serie A highlights programme that ran for several years from 1989-90 on RTE Network 2 was Luca's era.

One thing money can't buy is talent.
I think about this - or a version of it all the time

How much of it is talent? And how much of it is hard work?
Like anyone that ever reached the top of football had some aptitude for it, plus a love for the game, but they almost invariably worked their tails off
Plenty of guys skated by on the minimum effort, sure.
But the likes of Roy Keane, took his meagre talent and went out and made a blockbusting career out of it.

You gotta like Vialli, as a son of privilege, world at his feet, and still decides to go and outwork every fucker he came across. I love those bastards.
RIP

You gotta like Vialli, as a son of privilege, world at his feet, and still decides to go and outwork every fucker he came across. I love those bastards.
RIP
I often pointed that out to folks over the years. the irony that Luca Vialli was brilliant at something were privilege gave him the least advantages. that's why I like football.

Souness confuses me, he sometimes comes out with the most regressive PFM shit but occasionally says things that are very thoughtful and lovely.

This on Vialli is one of the second sort.

Souness confuses me, he sometimes comes out with the most regressive PFM shit but occasionally says things that are very thoughtful and lovely.

I'd say Souness is like most lads of any age in that regard.

he once broke a Dinamo Bucharest player's jaw in the 1984 EC and got away with it. now off the pitch decades later football culture has changed hugely esp. in recent diversity era and for the most part he's adapted.
He was very upset when his good friend Michael Robinson died and had lovely things to say about him (but not involving pranks).

Vialli was a gent - too good for Chelsea!
loved it when Vialli, Mancini and Lombardo when back to Wembley become European Champs 29 years after Samp lost there to Barca.

What’s PFM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back