PD's (4 Viewers)

I NEED to post this story...

Yesterday evening I was sitting in my gaff, pondering life, smoking fags and trying to study. Anticipating the arrival of a fancy guest, when the doorbell rang, I bounded to it and opened it in my most welcoming of ways. Instead of said fancy guest, there were two beteethed and coiffed, polished young upstarts that looked like they hang out with Louis Winthorpe III.

"Hello"
"Hi, you must be Michelle"
"No, Aoife. Can I help you?"
"Are you voting in this election?"

...at this point I notice, to my absolute glee, that they were wearing big ol Michael McDowell stickers on their paco rabanne jumpers, so instead of telling them that I'm having too much trouble deciding which ugly photograph on a streetlight to vote for I said...

"Yes"

"Oh Great, we're canvassing for Michael McDowell, will you give him your number one vote?"

.... do I tell them I hate their guts? His guts? Puke on their shoes? Pull a mooner?.....

"I won't be voting Progressive Democrats, and most certainly not McDowell"

"Oh really, why?"

"I disagree very strongly with his criminal justice policies"

"Don't you think that his reforms in prison policy, and the increased number of Gardai on the street is to be commended?"

I realised at this point that I felt wonderfully equipped to respond properly. This has never happened to me before.

"His policies are shambolic political posturing. There is no relationship between the amount of Gardai on the street and the crime rate. It's a startling waste of resources, and, there is a very clear relationship between the amount of Gardai on the street, and the amount of abuse perpetrated against citizens. There are more people in prison than ever before. Prisons are horrible and don't stop crime. His police and prison policies, and all of his other criminal justice policies, are not based on research, ignore international research and best practice and serve only to increase the marginalisation and isolation of many vulnerable people. Frankly, I think he is a destructive and dangerous force in Irish politics"

Polite smiles and nervous glances...."riiiiiggghhhht. ok. and do you think other parties would do better?"

"Yes. Thanks for calling though."

ha sweet.. you avoided having what's known as a staircase moment, where you think of what you should have said after you've left the person and are on the staircase// :) that never happens to me.. respect!

yo but check it, does anybody here live around harolds cross and got propoganda from an independent candidate called, NOEL IVORY? fucking funniest shit you could imagine.. him on the cover, looks like a prison mug shot in a dunnes stores jumper and a big rant inside about, 'pimpernel bertie' amoungst other jems..

fucking gold. he's getting my number two.. (yeah that means shit too, so what)

dont all jump me at once but-i actually support the pds policies for the most part.economically they got their heads screwed on and if they deliver on their environmental promises (that is assuming they get in of course) well so much the better.the one area i disagree with them is their policies on `crime and punishment` as it were.mcdowell has introduced some seriously worrying legislation as minister of justice,its plain to anyone who has done even a little bit of research on the matter that mandatory sentencing does not work it merely fills prison cells.which of course makes him look like a good guy so off he goes with.
now im off to join these guys
http://www.ypds.org/

ps go buzzo ;)

I wouldn't just go round giving preferences to random independent candidates for a laugh. I nearly did once for the crack, then didn't bother once in the booth (which sounds strange I know) but found out on the way out of the polling station that she was a "Keep Ireland for the Irish" type. Glad I dirty my bib there!

dont all jump me at once but-i actually support the pds policies for the most part.economically they got their heads screwed on and if they deliver on their environmental promises (that is assuming they get in of course) well so much the better.

cat_and_pigeons.jpg

I wouldn't just go round giving preferences to random independent candidates for a laugh. I nearly did once for the crack, then didn't bother once in the booth (which sounds strange I know) but found out on the way out of the polling station that she was a "Keep Ireland for the Irish" type. Glad I dirty my bib there!

ha nah noels cool

not like that cross eyed pro lifer they have on the northside

i know what you mean though.. comedy value is not really what you should be looking for in politicians

dont all jump me at once but-i actually support the pds policies for the most part.economically they got their heads screwed on and if they deliver on their environmental promises (that is assuming they get in of course) well so much the better.
the PDs actually have policies?
i thought their election campaign was based on "don't vote for anyone else, they're shit".
maybe they should actually let people know they have policies.

course they got policies.see here-http://http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/uploads/images/Final_Manifesto_Magazine_-_180407.pdf

but ill agree,they are running a very negative campaign
"vote for us or else...."

and that link doesnt seem to be working so basically its

lower taxes-good
helping families-good
fairer stamp duty-good
rewarding pensioners-im indifferent to the plight of pensioners right now,gimme 40 years though :)
better healthcare-good
tough on crime-hmmmm.......
protecting the environment-good

their disinformation campaign about the greens is enough on its own to scare anyone off. the extent of mcdowell's hatred of them is utterly bizarre.

course they got policies.see here-http://http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/uploads/images/Final_Manifesto_Magazine_-_180407.pdf

but ill agree,they are running a very negative campaign
"vote for us or else...."

and that link doesnt seem to be working so basically its

lower taxes-good
helping families-good
fairer stamp duty-good
rewarding pensioners-im indifferent to the plight of pensioners right now,gimme 40 years though :)
better healthcare-good

what-bird.jpg

haven't seen them before, dunno if they're new, but i spotted a great poster this morning from the bus: "A left wing government? NO! Vote PDs"

lower taxes-good
helping families-good
fairer stamp duty-good
better healthcare-good

Political manifestos always look relatively appealing though. Kind of like religion or political ideologies. Truth in sentencing, Minister McDowell? Truth in manifestos I say....

Rich people getting richer- cool
Poor people should get jobs, then they wouldn't be poor- sing it
Lock up people who don't have jobs- ace
Fuck travellers and minorities- fuckin right
Privatise shit- awesome times
Environment as afterthought- wicked
I'm a big dope and my face stinks- rapid

anybody seen that poster at Leonards Corner of some granny with a teddy bear (with a bandage on his head) saying something like 'A vote for me is a vote for the children!!!'?

i love her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back