PD's (3 Viewers)

Being all politically retarded here, did FF really need the PD's 1% of the last election? Didn't they have 79 seats or something like that? /quote]

I honestly couldn't say... anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Democrats#Notes

In the 2002 general election, the party defied expectations by doubling its Dáil seats to eight, although its share of the vote declined slightly to 4%. It is believed that they attracted the votes of many Fine Gael voters who were afraid of a Fianna Fáil majority and believed that Fine Gael's economic policy in the election was reckless.[citation needed]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources

Being all politically retarded here, did FF really need the PD's 1% of the last election? Didn't they have 79 seats or something like that? It is completely amazing that such a fringe political element as the PD's have the swing that they do. Representing 1 or 2% of the electorate and they get Ministers for Health and Justice? WTF?

They managed to get eight seats last time out (up from four in 1997) so in parliamentary terms, from Fianna Fáil's point of view, they were worth having along for the ride. They're looking at losing possibly up to seven of those eight this time around. Though I'm wary of writing them off, much as I'd love to. Propotional representation with the single transferable vote has a way of coming back and biting people in the arse.

That said, it's ludicrous that their 1%-2% national support has allowed them to have the influence they've had. With any luck they'll get their comeuppance this time around.

brewster7ab.png
YOU'VE GOT MY VOTE!!

They managed to get eight seats last time out (up from four in 1997) so in parliamentary terms, from Fianna Fáil's point of view, they were worth having along for the ride. They're looking at losing possibly up to seven of those eight this time around. Though I'm wary of writing them off, much as I'd love to. Propotional representation with the single transferable vote has a way of coming back and biting people in the arse.

That said, it's ludicrous that their 1%-2% national support has allowed them to have the influence they've had. With any luck they'll get their comeuppance this time around.

When you think about it, I suppose it's quite encouraging that the PD's agenda only reflects that miniscule percentage of the population. Imagine how sweet it would be if they lost 7 seats. Its thoughts like that one that get me through the day.
*Dixer dreams*.

it's mind boggling that a party with 1% support are currently in office... I think stuff like that only happens in the more unstable regions of South America... not only have they been in power but they used said power to chase some very personal vendettas too

McDowell was on RTE Radio 1 on Sunday making nice with Bertie (cue my other rant about Bertie doing an interview with the Indo rather then a press conference on the Saturday, thus making all the other Sundays look out of the loop and surely benifiting the Indo's sales considerably), anyhow McD kept refusing to "speculate on the polls" and would rather "focus on the issues" the main issue being that they had done alright so far so why would you want to get rid of them?

The man is a bitter little unlikable charisma vaccum... stacked against him suddenly Enda Keeny even looks almost life like...

the PDs must have had a death wish to elect him leader. lots of politicians are disliked, but he must be the only one that is a hate figure for so much of the population.

I dunno dude. I'm hoping they'll get wiped out but you're making a mistake if you think that everyone thinks like yourself or myself

with any other politician id agree with you, but Ive yet to meet anyone who has anything positive to say about him, regardless of age/background etc. could be wrong tho! he'll prabably get reelected in his own constituency anyway

with any other politician id agree with you, but Ive yet to meet anyone who has anything positive to say about him, regardless of age/background etc. could be wrong tho! he'll prabably get reelected in his own constituency anyway

People who are never seriously affected by crime love that he tackles crime.
They reckon mandatory minimum sentencing is a great idea, but no one they know is ever going to prison for anything. Stuff like that. AND, the PD’s have made these people lots of money.
So yeah, I reckon McDowell will get loadsa votes. I can’t see anyone who’d take votes away from him in my constituency

I dunno dude. I'm hoping they'll get wiped out but you're making a mistake if you think that everyone thinks like yourself or myself

according to the polls only 1% - 3% at most are behind them

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/ireland/politics/article2542885.ece

it just so happens that 1% will be located in small loclised areas, like Dun Laoghire say, reasonably wealthy slightly right wing type areas... which are the only places the PDs will consider running... so your right, I wouldn't write them off just yet...

Mate of mine who works in the auld Government says McDowell is a nice fella... I think my jaw actually dropped...

Yeah, McDowell is strangely well liked. I even met a labour politician who said he votes for him. Although he lost his seat a couple of elections ago...

Now much as I hate the PDs selfish petty policies, the depressing reason they never really do well is that is that Irish people hate parties that stand for anything. To paraphrase John Goodman in the Big Lebowski facing off against some nihilists "say what you like about the Progressive Democrats, at least they had an ideology".

Looking at FF, FG or Labour policies is like looking into the void.

their main campaign slogan is "Don't Throw It All Away" what a bunch of condescending wankbags - although I think thats the image they're going for.

Still much as I'd like to vote for th guy from the toy show, I won't. Because fo that bully McDowell.

The only good thing I can say about McDowell is that he walks his children to school as opposed to driving them in a big SUV.

Not a reason to vote for him however.

Yeah, but he also lives in a nice, leafy, comfortable part of Dublin where his kids have places in a (presumably) good local school, and where his commute is short enough that he can get his nippers in before the bell and still get to work.

John Gormley rides bikes in the park with his kids. Dunno how they get to school, but I see them playing on bikes and stuff all the time. But then, there are actually reasons to vote for him...

John Gormley rides bikes in the park with his kids. Dunno how they get to school, but I see them playing on bikes and stuff all the time. But then, there are actually reasons to vote for him...

On marked cycle lanes I hope? Going the right way down them?

Now much as I hate the PDs selfish petty policies, the depressing reason they never really do well is that is that Irish people hate parties that stand for anything. To paraphrase John Goodman in the Big Lebowski facing off against some nihilists "say what you like about the Progressive Democrats, at least they had an ideology".

Looking at FF, FG or Labour policies is like looking into the void.

ha ha ha, is there anything The Big Lebowski can't teach us?

I agree actually, I think what could swing this election for FF and probably the PDs in turn, is that people can't handle the idea of a FG, Labour and maybe even Greens "Rainbow" Coalition... and in a way I can see the point, seems like it could be slightly too broad a range of ideaologies there and a worrying potential for a lot of bitching and infighting.

come The Big Day people might just think "hhhmmm... why throw it all away indeed...."

I NEED to post this story...

Yesterday evening I was sitting in my gaff, pondering life, smoking fags and trying to study. Anticipating the arrival of a fancy guest, when the doorbell rang, I bounded to it and opened it in my most welcoming of ways. Instead of said fancy guest, there were two beteethed and coiffed, polished young upstarts that looked like they hang out with Louis Winthorpe III.

"Hello"
"Hi, you must be Michelle"
"No, Aoife. Can I help you?"
"Are you voting in this election?"

...at this point I notice, to my absolute glee, that they were wearing big ol Michael McDowell stickers on their paco rabanne jumpers, so instead of telling them that I'm having too much trouble deciding which ugly photograph on a streetlight to vote for I said...

"Yes"

"Oh Great, we're canvassing for Michael McDowell, will you give him your number one vote?"

.... do I tell them I hate their guts? His guts? Puke on their shoes? Pull a mooner?.....

"I won't be voting Progressive Democrats, and most certainly not McDowell"

"Oh really, why?"

"I disagree very strongly with his criminal justice policies"

"Don't you think that his reforms in prison policy, and the increased number of Gardai on the street is to be commended?"

I realised at this point that I felt wonderfully equipped to respond properly. This has never happened to me before.

"His policies are shambolic political posturing. There is no relationship between the amount of Gardai on the street and the crime rate. It's a startling waste of resources, and, there is a very clear relationship between the amount of Gardai on the street, and the amount of abuse perpetrated against citizens. There are more people in prison than ever before. Prisons are horrible and don't stop crime. His police and prison policies, and all of his other criminal justice policies, are not based on research, ignore international research and best practice and serve only to increase the marginalisation and isolation of many vulnerable people. Frankly, I think he is a destructive and dangerous force in Irish politics"

Polite smiles and nervous glances...."riiiiiggghhhht. ok. and do you think other parties would do better?"

"Yes. Thanks for calling though."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back