PC wanted (1 Viewer)

Mr Creosote

Since 2000
Website
youtu.be
Anyone getting rid of a PC? Preferably a well known make like a Dell and preferably from with a decent PII or PIII... So if you've got a 133mHz Proteus Magnum for sale, you'd be fucked.

I would be interested in trying that (although I haven't a clue where to start - hint, hint). I was just hoping that someone would have something like a 266 that I could get fairly cheap. My budget is kinda small at the moment - how much does it cost to build your own? I have a screen, keyboard, mouse etc...

There are in fact a lot of things that can go wrong with a PC. You'd really need to know a good bit about them before trying to make your own. (Pete obviously knows a lot, don'tcha Pete? Why don't you make one for the lad?)

If you want to go down the cheap route, find out from friends (ie not the Buy and Sell) the name of someone who makes PCs. Make sure they're reputable, likely to be in business for the foreseeable future and get a 3 year warranty.

Despite what Pete says about selling out, it ain't that simple. Sure, we'd all love to be able to rely on the guy-in-the-corner-shop approach but PCs aren't like shoe heels. The nature of the Windows OS is such that there is a myriad of hardware and software developers out there, many of whom prioritise getting their systems to market over rigorous testing for compatibility and other issues. Buying a PC's a fairly expensive business at the best of times and if you get a dodgy machine it can end up costing much more than it should - in repairs and replacement parts.

Yes, yes, we all object to the fact of multinationals, their being in cahoots with Microsoft, their often slack support staff etc. But there's no denying that larger manufacturers e.g. Dell (but not Gateway) are a fairly certain bet if only because they sell hundreds of these things a day (and are therefore familiar with many of the configuration issues that might come up) and they do offer a 3 year warranty with their desktops.

You might pay a bit more for one of these systems but unless you're prepared to get "under the hood" yourself, you're better off relying on someone else's expertise and experience. At the very worst Dell will take your machine back and be legally obliged to fix it, which is more than you can say for a manufacturer that gives no warranty (or has disappeared!).

This is as much as you can expect with Windows/Intel systems, I think. The systems themselves are famously unreliable so experience in dealing with faults counts for a lot. My advice is: go with a manufacturer that has experience.

Mr Creosote (11 Jan, 2002 11:13 a.m.):
I'm looking on the net as I write, but if theres a site you'd recommend, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Sellout.

You might get a good deal from www.insight.com/uk - just remember to add VAT & Delivery (about £35 to ireland). They were doing one a couple of weeks ago with a flat panel monitor for ugh £600 i think

I actually do have a spare PC beside my desk that's currently being used for piling scraps of paper on. 500mhz AMD processor, 20gig HD, 40x CD Rom, 128mb Ram....

Sellout.

pete (11 Jan, 2002 01:07 p.m.):
Sellout.

You might get a good deal from www.insight.com/uk - just remember to add VAT & Delivery (about £35 to ireland). They were doing one a couple of weeks ago with a flat panel monitor for ugh £600 i think

I actually do have a spare PC beside my desk that's currently being used for piling scraps of paper on. 500mhz AMD processor, 20gig HD, 40x CD Rom, 128mb Ram....

seriously pete how on earth would you ever make your own pc. it sounds really interesting actually and id love to give it a bash just for the craic. ( i probably wont but where did you learn to do it?

wellll

What i did was I took a day off work, i made sure i'd loads of room to work in, and i took my PC apart and replaced the motherboard. As i removed everthing i labled all the cables, just in case. It's actually really easy to put it all back together again - it's sort of like a jigsaw puzzle, but even easier because a lot of stuff will only hook up one way. Everything you need to know about configuration settings should be in the manuals that come with the hardware, so reading them
a few times before you start is a good idea.

The hardest thing I've ever had to do was struggle with the clip on a processor heatsink, trying to attach it to the motherboard without breaking something. For an easier solution, go to http://www.peats.ie where they sell upgrade kits (case, motherboard, processor etc all pre-built).

But really - it's pretty easy. All you need is a philips screwdriver and a strong nerve. Honest.

I'd say assembling the hardware is the least of your worries. Getting the operating system to recognise all the devices and talk to them properly - now that's a job for the likes of Chrith's brother.

pete (11 Jan, 2002 03:09 p.m.):
wellll

What i did was I took a day off work, i made sure i'd loads of room to work in, and i took my PC apart and replaced the motherboard. As i removed everthing i labled all the cables, just in case. It's actually really easy to put it all back together again - it's sort of like a jigsaw puzzle, but even easier because a lot of stuff will only hook up one way. Everything you need to know about configuration settings should be in the manuals that come with the hardware, so reading them
a few times before you start is a good idea.

The hardest thing I've ever had to do was struggle with the clip on a processor heatsink, trying to attach it to the motherboard without breaking something. For an easier solution, go to http://www.peats.ie where they sell upgrade kits (case, motherboard, processor etc all pre-built).

But really - it's pretty easy. All you need is a philips screwdriver and a strong nerve. Honest.

re: OS - Windows XP recognises & configures bleedin EVERYTHING. it's shocking how clever it is.

re: insight - just remember they're ex-VAT prices, and the delivery, and the exchange rate.

re: new iMacs - isn't it "Number 5 is alive"?. And they're also very 2 grand if you want the DVD-R one.

Anne O'Malley (11 Jan, 2002 03:55 p.m.):
I'd say assembling the hardware is the least of your worries.

Actually, it's not so much the assembling as it is getting processor settings right. Them new fancy jumperless motherboards are dead handy, but i dunno how many hours i've spent struggling with clock speed, multiplier & chip voltage settings all needing to be set using those stupid little dipswitches.

um

am i starting to sound sad yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back