Pay to Play - your opinions please (4 Viewers)

'huh? :confused:

Didn't mean to offend the serious minded amongst us... I'm serious too ain't I? But I like fun as well and I think I can strike a balance.
Naif.

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2

Didn't mean to offend the serious minded amongst us... I'm serious too ain't I? But I like fun as well and I think I can strike a balance.
Naif.

"..oh daddy dear you know you're still number one, but girls they want to have fun"

Stoat do a *stunning* version of Girls Just Want to Have Fun

its actually amazing

Originally posted by Pantone247

its actually amazing

that statement is becoming pervasive. have you noticed> people have to qualify their amazement these days, so as not to seem 'ironic' or wistful. that's what's wrong with the music scene currently. everyone is all to self aware. bands should play in the nip, i reckon, that'll sort the men from the boys.

Naif.

You didn't offend anyone man, jayzus. The phrase 'with a a pinch of salt' might be be handy to remember while you're here boyo. Anyway, sounds like a great idea for a rockin'. Where abouts is it on? And when exactly? Boys wanna have fun too, and maybe score as a bonus. ;)

Originally posted by Hector Grey

that statement is becoming pervasive. have you noticed> people have to qualify their amazement these days, so as not to seem 'ironic' or wistful. that's what's wrong with the music scene currently. everyone is all to self aware. bands should play in the nip, i reckon, that'll sort the men from the boys.

It would probably just turn into a Cockfest. They should put naked chicks in cages instead. Thats for real men. Arghhhhh!;)

Originally posted by Hector Grey

no REALLY, its amazing...

what are you some sort of thicko?

no REALLY, its amazing...

what are you some sort of thicko?

you've been riding my back all night pantone. lets put this thing to bed.

kahm orn.

Originally posted by Speed Racer

You didn't offend anyone man, jayzus. The phrase 'with a a pinch of salt' might be be handy to remember while you're here boyo. Anyway, sounds like a great idea for a rockin'. Where abouts is it on? And when exactly? Boys wanna have fun too, and maybe score as a bonus. ;)

Sorry Speedy - may have been a little misleading there. It was on in New York like two months ago. But I thought it sounded like a cool idea but again there's the weather thing to contend with in Ireland. Unless of course we did it in an underground carpark, heh.

Sorry Speedy - may have been a little misleading there. It was on in New York like two months ago. But I thought it sounded like a cool idea but again there's the weather thing to contend with in Ireland. Unless of course we did it in an underground carpark, heh.

There must be somewhere to do it, like in the docks area, oul industrial estates. And the weather can't be the only deterent, coz they've had outdoor raves in parks/beaches/old yards in England for years, and their weather is similarly as crap and wet.

pay to play

we tried doing free gigs for band`s back a few years ago in the Tivoli under the name of Ray-Gun , we never charged a band a penny they had a hugh stage with great equipment and a sound and lighting engineer on hand every thursday. Unfortunality it didnt take off after three month we called it a day.So many bands we would have loved to put on had to be axed due to lack of interest by the general puplic (phantasm on the the same night and all) But no matter what you do in this small town people will still kick you in the ass when your trying to help , a band or two even complained they didnt get paided, after all people have said about bands having to pay venues.All we asked was that band did their own share of self promotion along side the normal advertising.So when feck all punters turn up it`s still your fault and not weather or not the band bothered their ass to tell anyone.

so either way is a double edged sword !
the D.I.Y System seems to be the only system that works

Bands Wanted

Original bands wanted for gigs starting end of October (first one 27th October) - not pay to play - you play for free and could make some money too!

As a plus this series of gigs will run at least until June of next year. At the end of June the best bands will each get 1 track on a compilation Cd release.

If interested pls email: [email protected]

pay to play/diy/etc

Well, if its any consolation y'all are not alone with the pay to play dilemma, it used to be common here in seattle but now only the people who play total mainstream pap have to deal with it-- and they're welcome to it:p The bizillion clubs that have live original music are either bars or basically diy all-ages set ups. Oh yeah, washington state where seattle is has THE MOST restrictive liquor control laws in the US (except some isolated counties in other states that are COMPLETELY DRY), so it's only been in the last 2 years that any mixed-age shows have been allowed. To put on your own all-ages shows here you hafta go through so many absurd legal hoops, a friend ran a place called the OK Hotel here all through the 90's, all-ages for the first years but then a kid (18) broke his neck diving at a Napalm Death show, the venue got sued, and they discovered that it'd be like $20,000/yr less for insurance costs to turn it into a bar/21+(the drinking age here), even though we all know 21+ boozers have more fights, and here GUN FIGHTS/drivebys are-truly-an almost daily occurence... so what to do? It does seem that most good club owners see it as a vocation, they hafta stay in business, but want to support a/the scene. Until 2 months ago, it was ILLEGAL in seattle to put up posters on utility poles, the cheapest and often only means of spreading the word re: your gigs-- $500 fine. I myself have had to leg it from the cops more than once just putting up posters! feedom of expression, etc, my hairy ass. I think it requires the labor tactic of refusing under any circumstancesrefusing under any circumstances to pay to play. For a new band, it's extremely hard going, can you rent out a hall/pool your gear/expenses with other bands until you get a crowd going? An established venue can (arguably) fairly charge for sound/light costs against the door, it seems more fair for the band to get the door take, the bar to keep theirs, and FAIREST/BEST for the band to get the door + a % from the bar too. Thumped seems great for getting the word out; for shows here we put up cheap fliers/posters and take a tip from the rave community and make little 3x5" ones with the gig info/a contact phone # (if its gonna be an unauthorized show) and put stacks of em in record shops, pubs, campus post-up boards, etc.
And Alex- ack!- I hope you did tell that guy to bugger hisself with a massive pointy object. Any label that'd charge to showcase will rot screaming, gorged on shoit in hell, though I doubt the fella called you has any contacts at all. Even if he does, fek him the fekn fek.:D

Re: pay to play/diy/etc

Originally posted by dubh in seattle
I think it requires the labor tactic of refusing under any circumstances to pay to play.

What do you think would happen if all of the bands in Dublin refused to play any of the charging venues any more i.e. essentially went on strike? It's silly and fantastic I KNOW but it's still very early and I'm just musing here.

Would the promoters and venues lose money? Would they come round to a just way of thinking? Would we never work in this town again...

.. I think that's a great idea..a musicians strike for one weekend it would cost this town a lot of dough..and maybe make people not take entertainment in this country for granted..(like many other musicians) I went to art college and it was my pleasure to live in france for a bit and the difference between making art there and here is in ireland people say "that's lovely can I have it" and when you mention money they lose interest. In France it was my experience that they would say" that's lovley can I buy it"buy ahhh vive la france..it was the same with music everybody gets paid and the whole thing is heavilly unionised, so you have a little back up too....!bing !ironyyy

Re: Re: pay to play/diy/etc

What do you think would happen if all of the bands in Dublin refused to play any of the charging venues any more i.e. essentially went on strike?/B]

The "fucking" Revs would have a field day

breaking pickett lines and playing for scab wages all over the shop...

and you kow they would

:)

Re: Re: pay to play/diy/etc

What do you think would happen if all of the bands in Dublin refused to play any of the charging venues any more i.e. essentially went on strike? It's silly and fantastic I KNOW but it's still very early and I'm just musing here.

Would the promoters and venues lose money? Would they come round to a just way of thinking? Would we never work in this town again...

That sounds ideal. A strike might work in the long run. But how long would it take. And how seriously would it be taken?

Re: Re: Re: pay to play/diy/etc

The "fucking" Revs would have a field day

breaking pickett lines and playing for scab wages all over the shop...

and you kow they would

:)

:D Oh Jesus, I can see it now. The Scabs and all their immoral fans...We could have rotten cabbages and eggs at the ready. Heh.

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
.. ahhh vive la france..it was the same with music everybody gets paid and the whole thing is heavilly unionised, so you have a little back up too....

See, thats what is needed. A Union. Someone please form one. Then we could march down O Connell street like the Taxi Men. And block the traffic (hang on, sounds like Reclaim the streets). Ok call it 'Reclaim the Scene'.

A guy called Alex from Polydor UK is scouting the Dublin scene, believe it or not (or at least was a month or two ago) according to a reliable works-in-a-big-studio person I know

He's a damn fool though if he approaches one of the local cowboy promoters to showcase the scene for him

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back