Pay to Play - your opinions please (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by Chocohead
what defines a 'good' band. a band you might find good, I might find shite ...

True.

In this context (and mind *only* in this context) I think we could define a good band any technically good and not too commercial one.... ok?

I mean not four 16 years kids who played together for 6 months and not a boy band ;)

The past 3 or 4 weeks of playing places that aren't Dublin has been an eye opener. Most of the venues we played seemed to be owned by people who saw their ownership of a bar/venue as vocational as opposed to a chance to make a killing.
Bookings were made on a basis of taste in addition to pulling power. A couple of venue owners gave us money out of their own pocket because they didn't want to see a touring band leave without petrol/food money.
I couldn't see many venues here behaving similarly.
Then again, this behaviour was more common in smaller cities.
New York was pricks and Arlene's Grocery a rip-off, employing ignorant people.
What causes Dublin venue owners to be so money-grabbing?
Are bars more expensive here than in other countries?

Originally posted by Alex

True.

In this context (and mind *only* in this context) I think we could define a good band any technically good and not too commercial one.... ok?

I mean not four 16 years kids who played together for 6 months and not a boy band ;)

suits me sir ;)

True.

Or a band who come across as genuine, and can really get the crowd involved. And who may also may have songs which sound unique from one another. Not one of those bands which by their 4th song make you wish you had to take a dump in the jacks just for the amusement of it, because every song sounded the same.

Originally posted by GrRrrrR

And herein lies the problem. BillyGannon should open a venue. I'll give him 5 euro towards it.
Does anyone have a reasonable idea as to how this nasty situation could ever change?

I don't know how reasonable this is,
it's actually more of a question: if these
creation people can get it together to have
big raves and stuff on public property couldn't
bands get it together to do something along the
same lines,??

I know there is more equipment involved but
I think a lot of the time people are surprised
with how much you can do with very little
and how much equipment is superfluous.

anyway just a thought.

Originally posted by sarah

big raves and stuff on public property couldn't
bands get it together to do something along the
same lines,??

I know there is more equipment involved but
I think a lot of the time people are surprised
with how much you can do with very little
and how much equipment is superfluous.

anyway just a thought.

Sarah, the problem isn't the equipment. I could put together quite a decent set up only with the gear we use to practice.

The problems are:

_ The Public Act which makes virtually impossible to play any gig outside a pub

AND (if you decide to go illegally)

_ The Irish weather (!!!) which makes impossible to organise a gig outdoors

_ The promotion: how can you get people know about your gig-rave if it's illegal and so you can't advertise it? Ravers are used to *look* for raves, gig-goers aren't.

Originally posted by sarah
big raves ......

Yeah but putting on a big Rave is more gauranteed a decent attendance, than a rock gig. It just is, but you will get loads of scumbags goin, mad ourrav'it on yokes. I'm not saying they'll start fightin everyone, but y'know.

I know, what about a Rock Rave? As in, all of the bands goin promise to play dancey kind of rock (or the odd time a few dance covers done in a rock style), full of adrenalin, so people can still dance like mad yokes, but the music would be much cooler. Just an idea, I dunno, could be shit. But maybe not.

RIP OFF!!!!!!!

I was just contacted by a guy (whose name I prefer not to mention on this board) who told me Polydor UK asked him to put together two show cases of Dublin bands which will take place at Isaac Butt (!!!!) on October the 14th and the 15th.

It went like:

GUY: "I'm putting this thing together, could you be interested?"

ME: "Well... yeah fuck it why not, we didn't play live in a while.."

GUY: "Sound! I'll see you there then, the admission fee is 90 Euro"

ME: "..."

Fuckin' sharks..... Anybody heard about this? Do you think it's likely Polydor asks you to pay 90 euros to join a show case? I think it sounds more like another rip-off.... you comments please?

Re: RIP OFF!!!!!!!

I was just contacted by a guy (whose name I prefer not to mention on this board) who told me Polydor UK asked him to put together two show cases of Dublin bands which will take place at Isaac Butt (!!!!) on October the 14th and the 15th.

It went like:

GUY: "I'm putting this thing together, could you be interested?"

ME: "Well... yeah fuck it why not, we didn't play live in a while.."

GUY: "Sound! I'll see you there then, the admission fee is 90 Euro"

ME: "..."

Fuckin' sharks..... Anybody heard about this? Do you think it's likely Polydor asks you to pay 90 euros to join a show case? I think it sounds more like another rip-off.... you comments please?

Fuckin SHARKS is right. I mean, wot de fook is goin on? They'll be askin the bands to pay for the electricity they used next. :confused:

Sarah, the problem isn't the equipment. I could put together quite a decent set up only with the gear we use to practice.

_ The promotion: how can you get people know about your gig-rave if it's illegal and so you can't advertise it? Ravers are used to *look* for raves, gig-goers aren't.

How do most of the gigs get heard about?
- this website
- word of mouth
- and as you said yourself most of the people are
friends of friends e.t.c.
so there are other ways to promote these things the same
as with these raves were everyone knows it's gonna happen
and whos playing you just don't know where.

As for the weather * shrugs*

why don't you all start a petition to get the laws to ease up a bit

on the subject of radio.. I think we have it pretty good at the moment, best in a long time. There's Xfm *and* phantom. Both have their problems but that's just down to taste. At long last you can be out driving and tune into the radio when you're sick of the same two tapes.

The ballroom is great but does it do much promotion in the mainstream media? I've not seen it mentioned in the Event Guide even and that's easy.

Originally posted by Anthony

The ballroom is great but does it do much promotion in the mainstream media? I've not seen it mentioned in the Event Guide even and that's easy.

The Warlords gig was down as one of the Events of the fortnight.... sending info off to medja folk now....

Especially Nationwide

genius

Originally posted by Speed Racer

I know, what about a Rock Rave? As in, all of the bands goin promise to play dancey kind of rock (or the odd time a few dance covers done in a rock style), full of adrenalin, so people can still dance like mad yokes, but the music would be much cooler. Just an idea, I dunno, could be shit. But maybe not.

and as for this...

yes, you did retract it. no, you didn't stick to your opinion. no, it's not hypocrisy. no, it's not presumptuous, it's making an educated estimate in the context of what's known. yes, it's silly now. just don't try to use that as an excuse for your other actions.

Originally posted by Speed Racer

I don't want this thread rearing its ugly head over and over. All I'll say is. I didn't retract my original slagging of the said band. If you READ it properly. I saw them live and they made me puke 'The Bends' flavoured vomit. I DO know what I'm talkin about. Who are you exactly with your high and mighty opinion? A professional recording artist with years of success or something? What exactly validates an opinion in your mind? Cos I stuck to mine. I found it amusing that Lorcanzo tells me to watch my opinions of some bands here (coz you don't know who everyone here plays with), and in the exact same statement says even he didn't like the said band. Thats hypocracy. Besides, how does he know I don't know who alot of people here are? Thats presumptious. He doesn't even know who alot of people here are. Do you Follow me. NICE and SPARKLING clear. I won't slag you off. It's silly. Actually this whole thread was silly to begin with. So heres a SINCERE apology:

I apologise sincerely for this thread still being on the board. And to the people who were sick of this petty letter right from the beginning. Could Pete please close it? Thankyou

Speed

i think the main problems facing the organisation of an illegal gig are the amunt of people who have to be reliable in order for it to happen; the creation gigs work partly cos there's a small group organising them who actually get shit done, even if they are a load of smelly stoners.

and the main problem with live music in the city is that a dj doesn't have to soundcheck, doesn't need a backline and various electrical bits'n'bobs and doesn't (generally) drink as much free beer as a band and their coterie. it's economics. it also means that it can also be hard to see live techno in this city too... it's too much "like a dj" for the rockfascists to go and see it and it's too complicated for a promoter/venue to deal with... worst of both worlds i suppose...

that said, there were plans to squat the funnel when it closed and reopen it by direct action or something... remember?

Originally posted by silo
and as for this...

yes, you did retract it. no, you didn't stick to your opinion. no, it's not hypocrisy. no, it's not presumptuous, it's making an educated estimate in the context of what's known. yes, it's silly now. just don't try to use that as an excuse for your other actions.

No I didn't. Let it go pleeeeaaaase.... Your incessant nerding over old threads is boring. You look boring. Leave it be. Get a hobby, do something else, but please no more!

Your making me fart :(

Alex...I hope you substituted "...." for "FUCK YOU". Speechless. Paying to play at some 'showcase'. Chances of anyone who even knows an A&R man being there......?

Also, RE Phantom. If you've examined their playlist, ohhhh since it started, you'll find that the only bands they champion will be :
at least 99% male,
at least 101% boring whine rock / joke rock / shite
Well, a generalisation I know, but as far as I can see the people in charge of programming for phantom like a very narrow genre of music. One which I don't have much time for, incidentaly. The only exceptions would be Turn / Hayes / Kitt, whom I'm not rabid over either. Very, VERY rarely have I even heard Dudley, Rednecks etc. on that station, if ever. As for XFM, I rarely get a chance to hear it, so I can't really say.

I was just looking at the news section on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs website and there's this little post from them saying details for aug 31st show:List of bands playing, blah, blah, then "it's in a parking lot with no advance tickets. Please come."
Sounds like fun to me.

fun? what's fun got to do with it? it's beyond fun. just listen to all these serious people. do you think they understand fun?

i mean come on, mcdonalds still runs the world, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back