Pay to Play - your opinions please (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
I'm doing something on the topic of pay to play

If this 'something' is anything that would benefit independent bands, IrishUnsigned would happy to help from the 'promoters' viewpoint. I already write on the subject in a few places. If you want to, I would be happy to talk (sometimes nonstop) on the subject either over a beer or over the phone. Email me (in case I don't get back here too soon)

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro

Really, if there was a floating crowd in Dublin who would show up to, say, the Isaac Butt, just because it had live music, from there they would discover some band they never heard of and viola, the nucleus of a fan base begins.

Couldn't agree more
The way we do our gigs (ie the way we try to select the lineup) is to pick the bands that we have seen live who are good and then put them on a lineup in a differnt town/city with a band from that area who are in a slightly different genre. We don't exactly put on Boyband+Heavy Metal together but the idea is to get the punters to hear new bands and maybe new styles than they are used to and vice versa for the bands - they get to play to and also with different people than they are used to. Then the favour is returned by the visiting band hosting the 'home' band back on their own doorstep.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Or a band who come across as genuine, and can really get the crowd involved. And who may also may have songs which sound unique from one another. Not one of those bands which by their 4th song make you wish you had to take a dump in the jacks just for the amusement of it, because every song sounded the same.

Seriously, go see Dextra. They don't have anything on CD but LIVE they are superb. Declan (lead singer) is one of the most entertaining front men I have ever seen (not that I am an expert) and their music is very good. It's indie-ish kinda rock with an 80's keyboard twist to it. I probably am not doing it justice cos to me music is just music and i'm shit at describing it!

They play some battle of the bands final in Skerries soon and then Ballymun (oooerrr...) in mid November, and Whelans (for IrishUnsigned) on December 11. Tell Decco I sent you and he'll go easy...

Re: RIP OFF!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Alex
Fuckin' sharks..... Anybody heard about this? Do you think it's likely Polydor asks you to pay 90 euros to join a show case? I think it sounds more like another rip-off.... you comments please?

It's most likely a rip off. On the off chance it isn't then they guy will happily give details of his Polydor contact or show Polydor letter or something. Personally, I doubt it'd be done. Record Companies know that anyone they want to see (not anyone, but you kn0w what I mean) will play a gig and they'd happily fund it out of their taxes.

Originally posted by GrRrrrR

Also, RE Phantom.... Very, VERY rarely have I even heard Dudley, Rednecks etc. on that station, if ever.

Erm, silly as it sounds, did you ask anyone to do so? When IrishUnsigned asked Phantom to plug our launch we got talking, they invited us in on the launch day (I taped it for posterity!) and interviewed Sutras for us as they had just won Song Of The Year on Tom Dunne's show. They were excellent. The presenters play whatever they personally want, I think. 'Pete Reid' (the manager's false name) is a good bloke and if you got in touch I reckon he'd be happy. Also, as for promotions, they only charge about €135 for 120 ads in a week (which they'll also record for you free). In fact, you could even get your own show on it if you live in the Dublin area, then play whatver you want.

Contact me by email if you want any more info on that, anyone.

Originally posted by Hector Grey
that statement is becoming pervasive. have you noticed> people have to qualify their amazement these days, so as not to seem 'ironic' or wistful. that's what's wrong with the music scene currently. everyone is all to self aware. bands should play in the nip, i reckon, that'll sort the men from the boys.

Go see the Mental Institution from Waterford. Thye almost do (and sometimes really do) play naked. Unfortunately, they usually do covers but the saving grace is they do them 'different'. "Kids In America" in a metal style, or Abba, gone heavy anyone?

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
.. I think that's a great idea..a musicians strike for one weekend it would cost this town a lot of dough..and

unfortunately, I doubt it. I know Derek Nally (Whelans, Mono) would just send his venue stafff home for the weekend and not pay them (they get paid per day, AFAIK) and keep the pub parts open as normal. Really, I doubt it's make much difference - lovely as it would be - cos not many venues are music-only or even mostly-music oriented punters. Most gig goers, in my opinio, go for the social side first and the live thing second (as a bonus, sort of). The social thing would still be there and a CD rotating over the house PA would suffice.

Originally posted by dubh in seattle
the label decide that the band's target demographic is now more interested in bulgarian-samba-triphop-polka or whatever, and the band's record will get shelved, and the band will be contractually unable to legally play their own songs for several years...this has happened to clients of mine!

Happens annoyingly often. Happened to my cousin *after* I told her what to look out for. When the offer is made, though, most jump for it.

Originally posted by IrishUnsigned
Go see the Mental Institution from Waterford. Thye almost do (and sometimes really do) play naked. Unfortunately, they usually do covers but the saving grace is they do them 'different'. "Kids In America" in a metal style, or Abba, gone heavy anyone?

What was the name of that crowd in Germany who are from a Mental Institution and make records that get mixed by To Roccoco Rot?

We should have a "Mad Pride" weekend instead of a musicians' strike. Challenge bands to play their instruments with straight-jackets on. I'd pay good money to see that... and not for the social aspect...

Originally posted by IrishUnsigned
They play some battle of the bands final in Skerries soon and then Ballymun (oooerrr...) in mid November, and Whelans (for IrishUnsigned) on December 11. Tell Decco I sent you and he'll go easy...

Skerries!!

they're is a Battle of Bands in Skerries!!

they're is bands in Skerries??

do tell me more...

Originally posted by Pantone247
Skerries!!

they're is a Battle of Bands in Skerries!!

they're is bands in Skerries??

do tell me more...

Either Oct 26th or Nov 26th. I forget. I'll try find out for you if you want to email me in case I don't get back in here before Oct 26th. Dextra will play it but I am not sure who else. Fancy doing a review of it for I.U?

Originally posted by lorcanzo
its on on the 26th IU.

and i'd love to do a review.

:D

Well, since I always take people at their word (more fool me, I guess) then I'll get you in free (if I can) and you can write it up, minimum 300 words, maximum 600 words). It will probably be published both online and in print, unless you object to that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back