Pay to Play - your opinions please (3 Viewers)

Originally posted by Speed Racer

indeed.

yes.
speedy,
i do have to agree, having not met anybody from this board, you have a point.
the flipside is nobody on this board knows me, has ever met me or knows what band i'm in.
but when you mention someone i do know, it interests me.

lets put all this unpleasentness behind us shall we?

;)

now: pay to play.

Def Ro's made the best point so far. The problem is there's nowhere to go that you can be guaranteed to get good quality bands (speaking as the man in the street, since I know Ballroom is usually great). It's a fact that no-one will go to a gig unless they know the band or they're a 'name' band like gemma hayes, turn etc. Fact is, these bands have people to get them airplay / publicity / gigs.
It probably boils down to captialism. If there were enough people willing to go to a gig 'blind', or if there was a venue that got consistently good crowds like that, then you'd find venues were able to pay bands. I don't think we'll ever see a proper scene in Dublin, owing to the small population, and the gig-going habits of said population.
I'm trying to think what places like Seattle have / had that we don't (other than size). Willing venues / promoters would be one. College radio would be another (why don't fresh first years start going to gigs every year?).
Now we all know this sucks...so what are we going to do about it?

plop plop

..more parties more warehouse style stuff..screw the guys who own the venues and do it yourself..everyone who enters the shitshack can sign a disclaimer saying if a beam from the rafters falls on them it's their own fault for comming...damn it would be worth it.

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
College radio would be another (why don't fresh first years start going to gigs every year?).
Now we all know this sucks...so what are we going to do about it?

I've started going to gigs regularly for the last year or so, and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised from the start at the organisation of some of the gigs. I remember going to about 4 very good ones in a row and have since been visiting those venues once or twice a week. I figured thats what I preferred to do instead of meeting friends in an ultra-trendy Dublin late bar, not being able to hear a word when having a conversation, and eventually having to quit talking altogether coz the music volume increases to ear piercing. So ye end up spending the rest of the night, trying to get hammered so ye don't feel so silly for head nodding or dancing to such awful chart hits. This type of thing became a drag. So I quit.

I think people may be coming round more to the idea of live music. (Definitley since Wonky aswell) I know lots of people who wont club anymore, coz it has become shit for them. Instead enjoy the frolicks of a live band. Lets hope it continues this way.

I figured thats what I preferred to do instead of meeting friends in an ultra-trendy Dublin late bar, not being able to hear a word when having a conversation, and eventually having to quit talking altogether coz the music volume increases to ear piercing.

so instead you go to gigs where much of the time you can't hear the music because of other peoples conversations... what a city, eh?

Originally posted by figs

so instead you go to gigs where much of the time you can't hear the music because of other peoples conversations... what a city, eh?

NO, we may talk between songs or sets. Jeeez, otherwise that would be darn right rude now wouldn't it?

You can get a bootleg CD in any small Record Shop in Dublin called 'Outcestiside' which is loads of Nirvana demos and shabby recordings, but the songs all have their original names, and have different choruses to the Nevermind versions. Some of it rocks.

There's five volumes in the "Outcesticide" series.
All look good. NOt cheap tho

There's five volumes in the "Outcesticide" series.
All look good. NOt cheap tho

Just wait for that boxed set thing to come out. Shouldn't be long now, seeing as that tune Courtney Love was hoarding has been leaked out, can't be much of a bargaining chip for her anymore.

Originally posted by Richie

Just wait for that boxed set thing to come out. Shouldn't be long now, seeing as that tune Courtney Love was hoarding has been leaked out, can't be much of a bargaining chip for her anymore.

Her, Dave Grohl and Krist Novaselic have all kissed and made up and the album (it won't be a box set, just one CD) is planned to be released on Nov 11.

if the music being peddaled around was actually any good, people would go to hear it.

ho hum.... perhaps that could be the rub?

In relation to the college radio thing, unfortunately in ireland running a college radio station full time would be near impossible due to the radio authority folks being pricks. Just look at phantom, they shoulda been given a licence years ago. UCD and Trinity both run short term radio stations, the ucd one runs for a week at the beginning of the year(last week to be precise) and for a week towards the end of the year(the college year that is). Unfortunately universities and student unions are run by a bunch of backslapping pricks only out to serve their own purposes and give jobs to their m8s, kinda like the government really.
As far as getting gigs around dublin, if you don't wanna pay to play and are only new, you can approach the ents officers in universities. UCD run a homegrown night on monday nights, the bands don't get paid nor do they have to pay to play, it's just a chance to play in front of an audience. I know one or two of the bands from the board have sent in demo's already, whether it's for the homegrown gigs or for paying support slots i'm not sure.

"if the music being peddaled around was actually any good, people would go to hear it."

That'd be a good point except for the fact that if people don't go to gigs then how will they know if the band is good or bad in the first place.

On the topic of college radio - in general colleges only get to broadcast for a week or two as they are basically allocated turns using the same broadcast frequency. There's always the online stations...

and slaphappy guerillas. on my last travel there, the bouncer got shirty with some guy for travelling from downstairs to up with a pint in his hand. some passing poleeese were involved by king kong and it all went diddy up
it was like total reacall to early fibbers when the bouncers were moonlighting wiggums with a penchant for knocking seven shades of gick outta all in sundry

Originally posted by Juno
"if the music being peddaled around was actually any good, people would go to hear it."

That'd be a good point except for the fact that if people don't go to gigs then how will they know if the band is good or bad in the first place.

It seems you're missing the point, Hector is dead right here: I don't go anymore to gigs of bands I don't know because every bloody time I did it the gig turned out to be shite! Now I'm sick and tired of wasting my time and money, so I go only to "guaranteed" gigs, you know what I mean?

The problem is that most of the venues don't give a shit to *select* the bands: they give the gig to whoever can fill the place even if their music is shite.

You can bet your ass if there was a venue where only *GOOD* bands could play, it would be always packed

Originally posted by Alex

It seems you're missing the point, Hector is dead right here: I don't go anymore to gigs of bands I don't know because every bloody time I did it the gig turned out to be shite! Now I'm sick and tired of wasting my time and money, so I go only to "guaranteed" gigs, you know what I mean?

The problem is that most of the venues don't give a shit to *select* the bands: they give the gig to whoever can fill the place even if their music is shite.

You can bet your ass if there was a venue where only *GOOD* bands could play, it would be always packed

And herein lies the problem. BillyGannon should open a venue. I'll give him 5 euro towards it.
Does anyone have a reasonable idea as to how this nasty situation could ever change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back