Pay-To-Play Gigs: The Artists’ Perspective (3 Viewers)

Alex said:
GrRrrrR, I live this personally. Morello have been called sell out/crap/boyband, etc. by people who never even listened to them just because they heard they have melodic vocals and don't sound "indie"... it really feels like if you're music has a commercial potential, then it means you make it esclusively to sell. You can imagine how frustrating this is.

Who cares what they think?

Alex said:
What do you mean with "I don't know if you've been hanging out with the wrong kind of people, or what." btw?

What I meant was that I don't know anyone who's like that, because I don't entertain that sorta shit.

Pantone247 said:
if I went on to the Eircore board and tried to plug Capratone.

easy-peasy.

p247: "punks! listen to capratone! they played at the hope collective's d.i.y. festival in 1996! really! and, what is more, they only have one original member, a bit like napalm death!"

punks: "yes sir."

Pantone247 said:
that is craxxxxy

I don't understand these terms your defining bands under, "noisey and weird???"

let me break it down as I see it

Holy Ghost Fathers - Remind me of Queens of the Stoneage, who are playing Slane, one of Irelands biggest gigs.

Steerage - Remind me of Mogwai, Mogwai sell bucket loads of records and ran their own festival

Herv - Reminds of Aphex Twin, Plastick man, Aphex Twin not so long ago was an MTV regular.

This is a dumb way of looking at it, but if this is what you're bringing it down to I fell I have to lay it out like this. These bands aren't weird and freakish by any stretch.

Alex if you feel the "scene" here around Thumped is too avant garde or left field for you're liking then I have to point out that Thumped is not the be all and end all of music in Dublin. Treasure Island records (home of Berkly and The Revs) do teenage pop punk and have scored big with the Revs, our chums at gigsmart do great work with the TBMC putting on more mainstream rock acts, we have the Ruby Sessions for the more acoustic end of things, and thier are dozens of bands out there who don't feel the need to align themselves with any scene or label and pull hundreds of people to their gigs.

There is plenty of room in Dublin for all types of music, it would appear to me from what you are saying you've made little effort in having a look bar beyond turning up to a Jimmy Cake gig and the odd Ballroom. I hope thats not the case.

The Ballroom of Romance is a night for alternative undergorund music, not the latest pop rock sensation. It puts on music that would not fit in the mainstream, you can go to the TBMC, Issac Butts or Voodoo to see that most nights of the week. Coming to these nights and complaining about the noodling it like going to a reggae night and complaining about every track having the same beat!! Its what the Ballroom was set up to do, and trust me before the Ballroom Dublins "alternative" live music scene was a very quite place.

ALSO please tell where there is a drone band playing in Dulbin!! I would love to see a good drone band here, alas I have not... ever!!!

so please let me in on the secret!
Well, I must admit this time you talk sense and I agree with most of what you've said. I like quite a lot the HGF and Herv (never heard Steerage properly). I like the Chalets too and the Boxes.

True there's not only Thumped but honest I *did* have a look around and keep wondering.. where's the ROCK gone?!? You know, that ROCKY modern rock like Therapy, Supergrass or Weezer (just to name a few), the one that make you feel like burning down the place....

I hardly saw any stuff of this kind in Dublin in the last two years, I used to like Turn but they became to poppish lately. There are some other good bands (E.G. Indigo Fury) but they're a bit to retro for my likes (don't mention the Revs, I don't like teen pop rock either). I didn't expect to find this at the ballroom of course, that's a whole different story.

When asked about the music scene I said this kind of stuff is missing. I mean, the scene is growing but only on the alt scene apparently. The quality stuff is all there, good rock bands are very hard to find.

*Many* bands (mind not all) I saw just gave me the impression they were just trying to hard to be different/alternative/retro and this is killing *that* scene

Why..? I really think they *need* to do so because if they don't they're labelled as sellout/uncool, that's just shit.

Lastly, I didn't know Thumped was an indie-only board. True the regulars are into indie but I thought people with different likes do read it, am I wrong?

..don't Estel play drone btw..?

Just want to put this on record:

Estel's new album is deadly

Check out giveamanakick

and Thumped is technically a metal board

I love the Weezer me... Looooove em...

here pantone, I agree about the lack of a good drone band out there... what say we break out the Loop/ Spacemen 3 wekkas and have a jam, form a band and have summat good come out o dis ear thread...

Ian said:
I love the Weezer me... Looooove em...

here pantone, I agree about the lack of a good drone band out there... what say we break out the Loop/ Spacemen 3 wekkas and have a jam, form a band and have summat good come out o dis ear thread...

..thinkin about forming a Spacemen 3 tribute band - that`ll fill the drone gap won`t it?
I have the t-shirt, the attitude, the records - all i need is to learn to play gee-tar, get hooked on horse and move to Dublins inner city slums!

But i`d miss limerick too much....
:(

Ian said:

hah I'd *heart* that

I'm out of my brain wth busy these days, but I'd so love to do a drone thing sometime, maybe in a couple of months... a couples of lads, stoned, sitting very still letting their guitars feedback with tremello for an hour or two.

that'd teach these kids about noodling.

Possilbe song titles...
- letting Jesus's love in through the mainline baby
- baby, its the mainline of love with Jesus
- Jesus's baby mainline of Jesus's love
- mainline that Jesus Baby love

quote *Many* bands (mind not all) I saw just gave me the impression they were just trying to hard to be different/alternative/retro and this is killing *that* scene

..this is just jibberish..how the hell do you quantify something like this..you are slating bands for trying to be different??? the very notion of music is people *trying* be different. call me when you shuttle lands and I will wave at you.

Latex lizzie said:
..this is just jibberish..how the hell do you quantify something like this..you are slating bands for trying to be different??? the very notion of music is people *trying* be different. call me when you shuttle lands and I will wave at you.
That's the thing: you shouldn't *try* to be different but play the stuff you like and then, if you're different, much the better. When I land with my shuttle I'll aim straight to your arse pal ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back