Pavement (1 Viewer)

Favourite Pavement album

• Total voters
i want a Range Life :-(

Crooked Rain still does it for me. although, i think i listened Pavement out a long time ago. i loved the fact that there was no attempt made whatsoever to sing in tune on BOC

"one of us is a cigar stand, and ONE OF UU-UU-OS is a lovelyblueincandescent guilotiii-iiine"

Like my Dinosaur Jr obsession started with Where You Been and worked backwards, my Pavement obsession also started late into their career with Brighten The Corners. Wowee Zowee would be my number one, Brighten The Corners no.2, and Terror Twilight 3. Terror Twilight is very very good indeed. Check out the sad submissive shrug of the shoulders that is Major Leagues

Anyone heard that live version of Type Slowly from that 3cd Tibetan Freedom Concert CD from the late 90s? It's freakin brilliant. I'd love if the Deluxe BTC had a bunch of live stuff from that Era

"one of us is a cigar stand, and ONE OF UU-UU-OS is a lovelyblueincandescent guilotiii-iiine"

Like my Dinosaur Jr obsession started with Where You Been and worked backwards, my Pavement obsession also started late into their career with Brighten The Corners. Wowee Zowee would be my number one, Brighten The Corners no.2, and Terror Twilight 3. Terror Twilight is very very good indeed. Check out the sad submissive shrug of the shoulders that is Major Leagues

Anyone heard that live version of Type Slowly from that 3cd Tibetan Freedom Concert CD from the late 90s? It's freakin brilliant. I'd love if the Deluxe BTC had a bunch of live stuff from that Era

Major Leagues is one of their greats. i get the feeling from people sometimes that Terror Twilight gets looked down on a bit, but it's a killer album

how can anyone not like Pavement

I've often found that the girls i know don't like pavement, which has lead to an argument on more than one occasion:rolleyes: an has usually kicked of by me saying "How can anyone not like pavement?!".

I wore "crooked rain" out in my walkman, the tape is falling apart but i still have it. Think that's my favourite, but it could be pretty much any of the albums. BTC is amazing and under rated.

Major Leagues is one of their greats. i get the feeling from people sometimes that Terror Twilight gets looked down on a bit, but it's a killer album

I never fully loved TT, even though it's bookended with two of the classic types of songs Malkmus consistently turned out - the dreamy bitter sweet one and the funny pop one. What was in between was largely filler in my opinion (save The Hexx and Major Leagues), Malkmus on autopilot as he planned his escape from the shackles of writing for a band whose sound he was moving away from. The band members and their leader were no longer getting along, and there's not enough of the edginess or weirdness that made Pavement's pop songs so interesting. It's notable that the album is written entirely by Malkmus and features only minor contributions from the others.
Thus, I think it's fair to consider Brighten The Corners to be the last real Pavement album.

I've often found that the girls i know don't like pavement, which has lead to an argument on more than one occasion:rolleyes: an has usually kicked of by me saying "How can anyone not like pavement?!".

Listen, if we start taking girls opinions about music on board, where will it all end? Letting them post on message boards?!! If one of them starts mouthing of again, best just find them a bit of laundry to do or ask them for a nice cup of tea.

Brighten The Corners: Nicene Creedence Edition to be released 17 November.

Disc 1

Original Album (Remastered) - Tracks 1-12
1. Stereo
2. Shady Lane / J Vs. S
3. Transport is Arranged
4. Date with IKEA
5. Old to Begin
6. Type Slowly
7. Embassy Row
8. Blue Hawaiian
9. We Are Underused
10. Passat Dream
11. Starlings of the Slipstream
12. Fin
13. Westie Can Drum - Stereo B-side
14. Winner of the… - Stereo B-side
15. Birds In The Majic Industry - Unreleased vocal version will take place of released instrumental "Stereo" b-side version
16. Slowly Typed - Shady Lane B-side
17. Cherry Area - Shady Lane B-side
18. Wanna Mess You Around - Shady Lane B-side
19. No Tan Lines - Shady Lane B-side
21. Harness Your Hopes - Spit On A Stranger B-side
22. Roll With the Wind - Spit On A Stranger B-side
20. And Then… - a much shorter version of this appeared on the "Spit On A Stranger" 7″ B-side but this is the full 7-minute+ version

Disc 2

BBC Radio One Evening Session, January 15, 1997
1. Then
2. Harness Your Hopes
3. The Killing Moon
4. Winner of the…
5. Embassy Row Psych Intro - Unreleased intro – BTC sessions out-take
6. Nigel - unreleased song – BTC sessions out-take
7. Chevy (Old To Begin) - unreleased version – BTC sessions
8. Roll With The Wind (Roxy) - unreleased version – BTC sessions
VPRO Loladamusica TV show, April 4, 1997
9 . For Sale! The Preston School of Industry — unreleased song
10. Oddity (from the ‘God Save The Clean’ compilation)
11. Type Slowly (live) (from the ‘Free Tibet’ compilation)
KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic, February 25, 1997
12. Neil Hagerty Meets Jon Spencer In a Non-Alcoholic Bar - unreleased song
13. Maybe Maybe - unreleased version
BBC Radio One John Peel Live Session August 21, 1997
14. Date with IKEA
15. Fin
16. Grave Architecture
17. The Classical
18. Space Ghost Theme I - unreleased song- recorded live at WFNX, Boston, February 12, 1997
19. Space Ghost Theme II - unreleased song- recorded live at WFNX, Boston, February 12, 1997
20. Beautiful as a Butterfly - unreleased song – BTC sessions out-take
21. Cataracts - unreleased song – BTC sessions out-take

Yowsa!

1.Slanted and Enchanted just about (love the way its recorded) - Especially the Special Edition - there is some amazing songs on the Watery Domestic EP
2.Wowee Zowee has some of my favourite songs on it - Grounded and Fight this Generation and all but it's a bit all over the place and doesn't really feel like an album to me
3.Crooked Rain
4.Terror Twilight - very underrated
5.Brighten the Corners

Westing has some great tunes too - Maybe , maybe and that Killing me again one

Pig Lib is definitely my favourite Malkmus solo venture

Anyone heard much of Preston School of Industry (Spiral Stairs' solo thing) first albums pretty good but i heard the second one is dodgy

Brighten The Corners: Nicene Creedence Edition to be released 17 November.

Disc 2

11. Type Slowly (live) (from the ‘Free Tibet’ compilation)
KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic, February 25, 1997
12. Neil Hagerty Meets Jon Spencer In a Non-Alcoholic Bar - unreleased song

Yowsa!

11. EXCELLENT!!!!
12. Best title ever? I think so...

Brilliant news, i've bought all the re-issues. Another to add to the collection.

Does the extraramshackleness of the extras on these get to anyone else? Its like - fucks sake Malk and Co., put in a bit of an effort and this could be even more deadly. Some of the stuff on Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is infuriating I think. Whereas the extras on Slanted and Enchanted are for the most part totally excellent

Do you think he broke up Pavement cos he was sick of the band as musicians?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back