Pavement (2 Viewers)

Favourite Pavement album

• Total voters
can I pick 3?

My faves are S&E, Wowee Zowee, and Brighten The Corners. I can't believe Terror Twilight has more votes than Brighten The Corners!!!!!!!!! Imho, Terror Twilight is the worst one by a long shot. It's still better than a lot of other band's albums, but it's just a bit wanky. Brighten The Corners has the tunes, maaaaaaaan.

For fucks sake Terror Twilight is so under-rated! Its just so much tighter (for Pavement) than Wowee Zowee and so much more passionate than Brighten the Corners. I'm definitely listening to it on my lunch break!

Its actually getting a decent shout here which is good because usually it gets a very bad press. For me its TT or Crooked Rainx2. Like someone said above, the guitar solo on the Hexx is fantastic...

Although it must be said in terms of packaging, etc, the Slanted and Enchanted Reissue is absolutely amazing. There's at least another albums worth of great tracks with the Watery, Domestic EP and the Two Peel Sessions and some of the outtakes too. I find the CRCR reissue a bit shite. Never listen to it.

has to be Crooked Rain. great tunes. can take or leave some of their early/late stuff but this all all killer.

pavement in UK mid '90s was THE worst gig i was ever at
they played a 20 minute ramshackle set and had a barney on stage
very of a moment american band it was OK for the dispassionate to like
where's da balls?

oh + that DVD they released lately confirms what self obessed wankers they are

smallbrownbear said:
pavement in UK mid '90s was THE worst gig i was ever at

We've discussed this before here but just to reiterate ... I agree ... Pavement live were no great shakes. Great records though.

The poll: shit this is a tough one. It has to be one of the first two for me. I'm gonna go for Slanted ...

Nah nah nah, they could be STELLAR live, they could also be completely shit. I saw them an equal number of shit/good times I think.

Hands up who was at the last ever Pavement gig?

Me!

i went for slanted and enchanted in the end as it's a classic.

brighten the corners comes in second though...transport is arranged always puts me in a good mood for some reason.

i was listening to stephen malkmus'ss's'ss's first solo album last night on the way home...havent listended to this in ages. i have to say i think it's pretty good, especially the yul brynner homage.

he's made a few albums now right ? are the others any good.

Saw them once in (i think) 1999 at the auld festival in leeds. Twere pretty obvious they were on the road to splitting. At one stage the power went out and malkamus goes "we may as well just leave it" and they all ambled off. Pity - i remember there being live footage on 120 minutes years ago of them in the astoria (i think) and it looked incredible.

P. Littbarski said:
i was listening to stephen malkmus'ss's'ss's first solo album last night on the way home...havent listended to this in ages. i have to say i think it's pretty good, especially the yul brynner homage.

he's made a few albums now right ? are the others any good.

Yeah they're all worth getting. Like the first one the best though.I would say:

1. The First One
2. Face The Truth
3. Pig Lib

As I'm typing The Hook (which is his best song) just came up on my iriver random. Hey!

Crooked rain,crooked rain for me. its such a nostalgic album for me...first love,crazy days in a park with my buddies, jumpers for goal posts....*sighs wistfully*
still would'nt trade my life now for any of that shizzle

hugh said:
Yeah they're all worth getting. Like the first one the best though.I would say:

1. The First One
2. Face The Truth
3. Pig Lib

As I'm typing The Hook (which is his best song) just came up on my iriver random. Hey!
Best Malkman solo song is Church on White or Us or Water and a Seat. Or Dynamic Calories...one of thus, but not the Hook, altho that does have righteous cowbell action.

It was due for release this autumn, but was running behind schedule. Might still happen but more likely to be towards the end of the year at this stage.

Haven't listened to them in about 100 years, had to look up the albums online to remember what's on what - but they're all great. Sigh.

I remember that Rock Garden gig, was DJing downstairs and awfully starstruck that 2 of Pavement stuck their heads in for about 10 minutes :)

i want a Range Life :-(

Crooked Rain still does it for me. although, i think i listened Pavement out a long time ago. i loved the fact that there was no attempt made whatsoever to sing in tune on BOC

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back