Partitioning for dual boot (1 Viewer)

Rogue

Website
Visit site
Yo.

I've got a HP laptop that I'd like to configure for dual boot with a linux partition. I've already got it partitioned as a C (winXP) drive and G (data) drive but the laptop comes preconfigured with 2 other partitions - one for emergency restore of XP and one for the 'quickplay' media-centre thingy.

Question is, if I try to install a linux onto my G-drive as a bootable OS will it overwrite the boot table thingy (technical term innit') which controls the preconfigured partitions for recovery and quick-play? Will the installation of a dual boot configuration overwrite and disable the recovery console (F11) and quickplay.

I never use quickplay anyways so no bother there really and in theory the recovery thing's no good to me as in the event of a catastrophic crash I'd re-install the OS from backup disc-image (acronis tru-image) so maybe it's a moot point. But more importantly, would this kind of thing void the lapsop's warranty? in conversations I've had with HP's robotic customer service the best I could get is that they 'would advise against installing a dual boot system', they also advise against linux...

Sorry, that was long, any advice people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back