Help / advice required: Laptop won't boot up in XP (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
Would appreciate any advice on this situation.

Acer laptop.
XP pre-installed, no boot / OS disc.
Recovery backup disc created after installation.

Laptop crashed yesterday and was manually powered off.
Cannot restart in normal mode, safe mode, last known configuration - stuck in a loop.
Inserted recovery disc, pressed F2 and followed the boot options.
Acer eRecovery Management gives me option for a system restore but says that C drive will be wiped.
Some files on C drive are not backed up so do not want to lose them without trying something else.

Did not avail of this option and pressed cancel.

Is it possible to run a repair / recovery without losing C drive if I get hold of an XP boot / OS disc?

Neighbour may be able to locate a Dell XP disc that I can try - will there be compatability issues as mine is an Acer product?

Thanks.

It sounds like its a goner. You cant put xp on it with wiping it. What you can do is remove the hard drive get a usb hard drive adapter then you can get the info off it by plugging it into another computer and just using it like an external hard drive.

there's a few brands of linux that can boot from the CD drive, and with those sometimes you can view the C/ drive and whats in it without using windows. I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to drag the HD contents to an external drive like that. its a good 2-3 years since i was using that kind of thing but i'm pretty sure its doable.

http://www.livecdlist.com/

all those work off the CD.

its the same as ray ray's suggestion esseentially, except there's a chance of keeping the laptop functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back