New Acer laptop wireless problems (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
Would be grateful for any advice on this.

Have a six year old Dell PC with 128MB ram. Zylem router died.
Bought a new Netgear router and an Acer Travelmate laptop 6592G [XP installed not Vista] on the same day a few weeks ago.
The router is connected directly to the PC and is working fine. A little faster than before.

The Acer laptop is connected via wireless.
Nightmare.

Slow to boot up. Dropped connections every few minutes, frequent failure to connect, slow to load pages etc. On rare occasions it works as it should but usually lets us down within 10 / 15 minutes.

Did a system restore and the slowless to boot up has gone but the dropped connections prevail.

It appears that the router is not at fault as two friends have called over with their laptops and connected via the wireless with no problems and no dropouts.

Any idea how to resolve it?
I haven't tried ringing Acer yet - can't from work but will probably have to make time some evening soon. Do they have an Irish support line?

Try a different, less secure method of wireless security.
My folks were having similar trouble at home until I took the router down to low-bit WEP security.

First off, don't assume the problem is with the Acer.

Just cos the ethernet is working fine doesn't mean the router's wireless isn't a problem.

RtM is right, disable your wireless security for a minute then see if that helps, then gradually increase the security level until you experience problems again.

Try getting a loan of another laptop with wireless to see if that experiences any problems.

Try changing the channel that the wireless broadcasts on, solved a problem for me before. Use either channel 7, 9, r 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back