Oscars 2014 (1 Viewer)

oscars are a load of fuck. A bit like announcing the venue for a world cup finals. Its more about who did the best brown-nosing and bribing than anything else.

kinda like the choice music award!

Ah they're still a bit of a buzz though, despite all that.

I thought Bale was great - hope he wins. Don't like him in anything else really...

No nomination for Blue is the Warmest Colour in Best Foreign Film. Bullshit idiots.
Apparently some weird stipulation about the date of release in the native country made it ineligible for inclusion, will try and source a link. Even excusing that though it's a really shit year for the Oscars. Where's this year's Winter's Bone or Beasts of the Southern Wild? Also talk of shenanigans with relation to the conductor the ceremony's orchestra and a surprise inclusion in Best Original Song.

Also talk of shenanigans with relation to the conductor the ceremony's orchestra and a surprise inclusion in Best Original Song.

Just listened to like 10 seconds of that song, and it was fucking bollocks. They should abolish Best Original Song altogether, it is an archaic category that made sense in the 50s but means nothing now.

Also, there is a category for best sound, and best sound editing. I fail to see how these aren't the same fucking thing nowadays.

Actually just abolish the Oscars, fuck them, total pile of back-patting shite.

Just listened to like 10 seconds of that song, and it was fucking bollocks. They should abolish Best Original Song altogether, it is an archaic category that made sense in the 50s but means nothing now.

Also, there is a category for best sound, and best sound editing. I fail to see how these aren't the same fucking thing nowadays.

Actually just abolish the Oscars, fuck them, total pile of back-patting shite.

Here here, although do it all at once. Best sound design, the production of the sounds best sound editing is how it's put into the film. Two different departments thus two different awards.

Remember these are industry awards, it's like winning Best Yogurt -light or low fat category at the international yogurt makers union awards.

Yeah I get ya - but I also don't get why there's not just one department doing that stuff these days. I mean, why isn't the same bunch of people doing the foley work, and then doing the editing work for film after? That's what I would want to do if I was asked to do sound for a film (and I'd probably want to do the music too, haha)

Yeah I get ya - but I also don't get why there's not just one department doing that stuff these days. I mean, why isn't the same bunch of people doing the foley work, and then doing the editing work for film after? That's what I would want to do if I was asked to do sound for a film (and I'd probably want to do the music too, haha)
realistically it's 4 separate departments. The foley artists/ sound designers make the sounds, the engineer records the sounds and a then theres a mixing department and a department is in charge of editing. Sound in films is complicated to say the least.

Sound in films is complicated to say the least.

It's not really though. 1 person can do all of what you outlined, given the time to do it! That's digital for ya.

I mean, I don't see why, in order to arrive at a finished sound, 4 different departments have to apply their own conception of what the sound should actually sound like. Wouldn't it make far more sense if the foley people, the engineer, the mixer, and the editor all knew exactly what kind of sound they were trying to create in advance, instead of the foley people having something recorded by the engineer which is then altered by mixer and the editor?

Using digital audio workstations, all that really needs is fairly straightforward knowledge of how the foley process, DAW, and mixing process work, none of which would take more than a week to learn for this kind of procedure.

Really the issue is time; one person doing all that takes 4 times longer than 4 departments, but would get very different results in my opinion. So what do ya want for your film, the best sound you can get, or the fastest sound you can get?

It's not really though. 1 person can do all of what you outlined, given the time to do it! That's digital for ya.

I mean, I don't see why, in order to arrive at a finished sound, 4 different departments have to apply their own conception of what the sound should actually sound like. Wouldn't it make far more sense if the foley people, the engineer, the mixer, and the editor all knew exactly what kind of sound they were trying to create in advance, instead of the foley people having something recorded by the engineer which is then altered by mixer and the editor?

Using digital audio workstations, all that really needs is fairly straightforward knowledge of how the foley process, DAW, and mixing process work, none of which would take more than a week to learn for this kind of procedure.

Really the issue is time; one person doing all that takes 4 times longer than 4 departments, but would get very different results in my opinion. So what do ya want for your film, the best sound you can get, or the fastest sound you can get?
Not really on the cards though, sound has been done this way since the first ever talkies and each practicioner is an expert in a very specific field (except the engineer who basically is there to record whatever) and even more importantly than any of that the whole business is carefully controlled by unions.

Robert Rodruiguez had to leave his union in order to get Frank Miller's co-director credit on Sin City. As a result he can't get certain work and will never win an oscar.

I only mention this because he does absolutely all of his films post production in his home, at times you can tell though because he really hasn't mastered the art of ADR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back