Old Gigs (1 Viewer)

I thought that ex gig wash shit.

Well I really thought that Ex gig was great but then again , you've got your Ozzy Osbourne and Ripcord so each to his own I suppose... (I've never felt that more strongly :))

just on the evan dando point... did anyone notice that the posters for this gig had a thing in the corner saying "humanitas - irish foundation for contemporary culture"? and does this mean that people are giving out money if you put on a gig and call it 'contemporary culture'?

more to the point, when exactly did evan fucking dando become 'contemporary culture'?

there wasn't one - it was a solo acoustic set but he did get Ben 'Hysterical Screeching' Lee and Ben from Radish on stage for the encore.

Back up a bit...
I was at Megadeth in the Olympic in 1988, Pete. Nobody died. Some guy whose leg had just recovered from a break jumped from the balcony and broke his leg again. That was why the ambulance was outside. But weren't Sanctuary shit though? My friend caught their drumstick and was the reason for me using stupid big sticks for years. The Anthrax and Testament gig the year before was the first one I went to. Far better. Although my music-related head movements caused some nausea and loss of balance.

joss (16-02-2001 10:43 a.m.):
Back up a bit...
I was at Megadeth in the Olympic in 1988, Pete. Nobody died. Some guy whose leg had just recovered from a break jumped from the balcony and broke his leg again. That was why the ambulance was outside.

hrmm now that you mention it, maybe it was just his leg but word on the street at the time was that he'd kicked the bucket & that was why the olympic wouldn't / couldn't do more gigs.

Not that anyone really gave a shit....

But weren't Sanctuary shit though? My friend caught their drumstick and was the reason for me using stupid big sticks for years.

Without a doubt yes, they were atrocious. I seem to remember their version of White Rabbit being passable. At the time. Was that them? It all seems sooo long ago...Although I seem to remember the megadeth bass solo as being particularly woeful.

Our thing for a while was to do our best to catch drum sticks & plectrums and the like & then throw them back at the band.....

The Anthrax and Testament gig the year before was the first one I went to. Far better. Although my music-related head movements caused some nausea and loss of balance.

Anthrax & Testament was just before my time... I mustn't be as metal as you :)

"Ahhh laaads me neck is killing me from all that headbanging I was doing last night." hehehehehehhe. A standing joke for most of my formative metal years, so it was.

lorcanzo (16-02-2001 11:41 a.m.):
if you get an injury at a gig: broken nose, broken leg, i dunno whatever... who is responsible? it's the promoter right?

I'm not a dentist, but my understanding is that shops, pubs, or any publicly accessible building should have the relevant public liability insurance in place to cover them for personal injury claims for accidents to patrons on their premises - which would indicate that the owner of the premises would be liable.

Unless of course it's the promoter who breaks your nose or leg......

Joss: Went to Anthrax and Testament gig year before Pete's metal inauguration.
Friend caught Sanctuary stick.
Pete: Morphosis.

I know whose credentials I'm convinced by.

It's a 3 day festival in a Pontins holiday camp near Rye on the south coast of England - stands for All Tomorrows Parties. The first one was in 99 - and was called the Bowlie Weekender and was organised by B&S. Last years was curated by Mogwai and Shellac amongst others played. This years is curated by Tortoiszzzzzzzzze and the line up's not great but it's so much fun I'm going anyway. And the Ex and Us Maple and Television and Tortoise and then a whole heap of pretentious shit are playing at it. So worth it for the Ex and the Maple anyway. The site for it is at http://www.alltomorrowsparties.co.uk

Of all the libels which can be levelled at musicians, "pretentious" is my favourite. Especially when applied to musicians the libeler doesn't know. How can you tell if they are pretending to greatness and importance or anything else? Because bored journos get over excited? Or can you really hear it in the music?

It's particularly funny in this instance (see Kirstie's posting above) as the bands she mentions as being non-pretentious are so often labelled pretentious by other critics. Especially Tortoise.

I wonder too how good Television will be. Has there ever been a "classic" band reformed and been even half as good as they had been?

Have fun all the same.

Much more fun is http://www.alltomorrowsparties.com

"The dawn of the new age of computers
brings us to the Internet. We are excited to share with you our products".

last year i really wanted to go to atp to see sonic youth. then i couldn't get tickets, so i was very pissed off. then i hear that the youth went out and were absolute shite for 40 minutes. i wrestled with the thought for a while, then i was fuckin' delighted i didn't go......

television briefly reformed in the early 90's and released an eponymous lp.

obviously it didn't scale the heights of marquee moon, but i really liked it, probably listened to it more than adventure.

on the basis of that i hold out high hopes for this re-union.

interesting question though, and i can't think of any other re-union examples that have been less than horrifically embarrasing.

maybe faust or kraftwerk have made reasonable fists at it but i immediately think of the velvet underground or wire in HQ last year, which was truly dreadful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back