Official Thumped position on Lisbon (2 Viewers)

How will you vote in Lisbon II: Is That Your Final Answer?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Abstain

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Spoil

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The last 8 posts on this thread form a beautiful example of how a paraphrase of something that someone thought they heard, can then be turned into a direct quote and used against the speaker.

What do the Libertas posters mean? You know the one where is child is crying because it's cloudy and then it says Irish democracy 1916-2009. Is the date thing supposed to be like the inscription on a gravestone and the child is mourning the death of irish democracy (as if kids even cared about such things)?

The child is just scared about the future. She has grown up (thus far) in a democratic land, blessed by certain freedoms. She fears that those liberties she has taken for granted may now be in jeopardy. The clouds are storm clouds, very much like the storm clouds that gathered over Europe in 1939.
1916 was when democracy started in Ireland, which had previously been run by protestants but would thenceforth be run by democrats.

The last 8 posts on this thread form a beautiful example of how a paraphrase of something that someone thought they heard, can then be turned into a direct quote and used against the speaker.

Of the eight posts if you start from what i said and end at your quote, i think only 3 refer to what i said, if you exclude our own. One of those is a picture of gormley and Mr. Burns, the other holds it against him and krossies 2 cents.

I didn't want to misquote, but that was definitely what was expressed and i am 99% confident it came from Gormley. It shocked me (it shouldn't really) that someone would say something so provocative and potentially damaging when being made vote again is such a hot topic, so i was wondering had anyone else heard it.

I haven't decided which way i'm going to vote as i have mentioned previously in this thread so it wasn't my intention to sway people if that's whats being suggested, not that a simple quote like that should change peoples mind on such a big decision whether i say it, he says it or anyone else says it.

and more 2 cents

The child is just scared about the future. She has grown up (thus far) in a democratic land, blessed by certain freedoms. She fears that those liberties she has taken for granted may now be in jeopardy. The clouds are storm clouds, very much like the storm clouds that gathered over Europe in 1939.
1916 was when democracy started in Ireland, which had previously been run by protestants but would thenceforth be run by democrats.

Point taken!

I'm a no voter me self (darn lossing side again!) but I do have to admit some of the folks on my "side" do make me shiver especially COIR. This sort of insane rhetoric does no good!

(no more, I guess, then the glamorous vamp and her job depending on Europe on some of the crackers yes ones! What Europe is employing cylons now!!)

trisha.jpg

On the other hand even though I agree its not necessarily right to make this a vote on the government - the Libertas one with Cowen and his job though "bold" is an ansolute object lesson in how to get a point accross in a witty manner.

I had a sniff around newstalk but short of listening to the whole of robo-clare and batty Ivan on pod cast no way of verrifying what Gormley was meandering about - I take Greg's point tho!

kp

I didn't want to misquote, but that was definitely what was expressed and i am 99% confident it came from Gormley. It shocked me (it shouldn't really) that someone would say something so provocative and potentially damaging when being made vote again is such a hot topic, so i was wondering had anyone else heard it.

Yeah, I am surprised that Gormley would say such a thing also, if for no other reason than I would have thought he would have more sense. But I can imagine a context in an interview in which he would end up saying something like this, or even exactly like this, which, when taken out of that context, gives a meaning or impression that may be different to what was intended.

.... not that a simple quote like that should change peoples mind on such a big decision whether i say it, he says it or anyone else says it.

I agree totally. But, I fear that for many people that may not be the case. I suppose I am amused by the fact that even though you flagged the fact that you were paraphrasing something that you were only half-listening to, your Gormley "quote" was then "quoted" as an actual quote by Krossie.

God, I'm rambling here and really not meaning to be having a go at either of you. Someone carry with something more meaningful than my pedantic arguments ...

Yeah, I am surprised that Gormley would say such a thing also, if for no other reason than I would have thought he would have more sense. But I can imagine a context in an interview in which he would end up saying something like this, or even exactly like this, which, when taken out of that context, gives a meaning or impression that may be different to what was intended.

I agree totally. But, I fear that for many people that may not be the case. I suppose I am amused by the fact that even though you flagged the fact that you were paraphrasing something that you were only half-listening to, your Gormley "quote" was then "quoted" as an actual quote by Krossie.

God, I'm rambling here and really not meaning to be having a go at either of you. Someone carry with something more meaningful than my pedantic arguments ...

Ah no of course, i know... I was just wondering if what i heard was correct, because it seemed so outrageous it made me doubt myself, and it wasn't supposed to be held as fact.

Re: and more 2 cents

I dunno - Libertas should have a slogan "Keep power with the irish politicians we hate."

I don't know why the government doesn't go with a massive one in the colours of the Union Jack saying VOTE NO: IT'S WHAT THE FUCKING BRITS WOULD DO.

Fucking depressing stuff all round, yet again. Lisbon really does bring out the absolute worst in democratic politics in general, and Irish politics in particular. Misinformation and disingenuous demagoguery all round. Pile of shite.

Yes, nonetheless. Clowns to the left, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with EU. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back