Nursery Rhymes (1 Viewer)

yeah i know...but just thinking that chicken licken should have a girlfriend is wrong..

plus the fact that when they talk about fairytale characters they are talking about scooby doo, shrek,spiderman etc really annoyed me as well..

I had a book called 'the blue fairy book' and it had lots of appendices on the origins of each story. Cinderella is called Cinderarse in earlier versions of the story.

yeah i know...but just thinking that chicken licken should have a girlfriend is wrong..

plus the fact that when they talk about fairytale characters they are talking about scooby doo, shrek,spiderman etc really annoyed me as well..

i dunno, i just don't know what to make of fairytales or what to do with them. ever read any of that Vladimir Propp stuff on the morphology and classification of folktales? Not much fun.

no i havent read it..see i think kids just like hearing stories and to be honest i dont put much thought into reading them..most of them can be made into kinda interactive stuff for the kids and they get a kick out of them..the same with rhymes..all that said the kids favourite story that we read was 'the very hungry caterpillar' which isnt a fairytale as such..

i guess i just have a fear that kids will just forget the stories or wont be told them..my parents were forever reading me stories when i was little and i do think its what made me into such a bookworm..but now i have 4 year olds able to tell me about hitman on the 'flaystation' but not able to tell me what happened to cinderella..and i just think there is a loss of innocence somewhere along the way..

no i havent read it..see i think kids just like hearing stories and to be honest i dont put much thought into reading them..most of them can be made into kinda interactive stuff for the kids and they get a kick out of them..the same with rhymes..all that said the kids favourite story that we read was 'the very hungry caterpillar' which isnt a fairytale as such..

i guess i just have a fear that kids will just forget the stories or wont be told them..my parents were forever reading me stories when i was little and i do think its what made me into such a bookworm..but now i have 4 year olds able to tell me about hitman on the 'flaystation' but not able to tell me what happened to cinderella..and i just think there is a loss of innocence somewhere along the way..

Not saying it's a good thing but the percieved lack of innocence is probably just the generation gap. As much as we'd like to pretend, we're now an older generation. It was no doubt the same with our parents. I like the idea of political stuff in fairy tales though.

i dunno..i accept that they are probably gonna know about stuff that i wouldnt particularly like them to know about but its everything else..like one kid was able to describe in great details a scene from one of the final destination films..nad hes 4..like whose letting their 4 yr old kid watch that shite?im derailing this thread something manic but i jsut feel like some kids are being exposed to things that just arent suitable..even stuff like junior infants playing hitman and whatnot..and i dont think its just me being old..i think that the content is slightly more mature than they are..

i dunno..i accept that they are probably gonna know about stuff that i wouldnt particularly like them to know about but its everything else..like one kid was able to describe in great details a scene from one of the final destination films..nad hes 4..like whose letting their 4 yr old kid watch that shite?im derailing this thread something manic but i jsut feel like some kids are being exposed to things that just arent suitable..even stuff like junior infants playing hitman and whatnot..and i dont think its just me being old..i think that the content is slightly more mature than they are..

Dunno I was brought to see Aliens and Full Metal Jacket when I was six and seven respectively. Don't think it did me any harm or did it? If anything it taught me a hatred for violence but a love for cool big guns and violence in movies.

maybe it depends on each child and how emotionally mature they are..i honestly dont know..but i did just feel like a really honest sadness when i realised what these kids were seeing and doing..i think part of the reason being is that knowing the kids who were doing the stuff and thier families, it seemed to me that they got to do or see the stuff because no one was particularly arsed to spend time with them doing anything else..

a lot of it came down to the fact that some kids would come in with their homework done and it was obvious someone, not neccessarily their parents, but somebody had spent enough time with them to go through it or do their shared reading or whatever..then there are the kids who play video games for hours or see ,in my opinion, unsuitable films but who cant add 2 +1 together..i think thats where a lot of my bitterness(?), im not sure if thats the right word but its close, stems from that and seeing how far behind some of those kids already are..so its probably just a mixture of things rather than just the mature content..but it sure doesnt help:)

maybe it depends on each child and how emotionally mature they are..i honestly dont know..but i did just feel like a really honest sadness when i realised what these kids were seeing and doing..i think part of the reason being is that knowing the kids who were doing the stuff and thier families, it seemed to me that they got to do or see the stuff because no one was particularly arsed to spend time with them doing anything else..

a lot of it came down to the fact that some kids would come in with their homework done and it was obvious someone, not neccessarily their parents, but somebody had spent enough time with them to go through it or do their shared reading or whatever..then there are the kids who play video games for hours or see ,in my opinion, unsuitable films but who cant add 2 +1 together..i think thats where a lot of my bitterness(?), im not sure if thats the right word but its close, stems from that and seeing how far behind some of those kids already are..so its probably just a mixture of things rather than just the mature content..but it sure doesnt help:)

I think see your point. Being fed video games, films and tv with no time for your own imagination can't be a good thing. I'm just not sure the actual content of the stuff really makes much difference. You deal with kids every day so you'd no doubt know better than me.

We got a book of fairytales for Isabelle at Christmas and, while the drawings are fantastic, the stories are a bit funny sometimes - there's no "not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin!" in the 3 little pigs, and there's no "don't stray off the path" in little red riding hood. Wonder why they left them out? Also the language is a bit funny, everything is in the present tense

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back