Noise v. Music / The ol' self-abuse (1 Viewer)

so,
back to the original question
who are all these noise bands then?
where are they hiding?
i've heard some blustery rock but not a lot of noise
what's the story?

Yea....i was going to ask the same thing as Mr/Mrs Chickenham as well...
I`ve seen someone mention Yakazu, a noise band?I`d say more so an energitic rock band really...
and Rad Alarm mentioned some early 1900`s field recordings or something(which looks worth checking out by the way..).

Where as noisey guitar music - i have some Pussy Galore/SY`s - Sonic Death lp/Antioch Arrow/Angel Hair - early Skinny Puppy is kinda noisey i guess.
I`d be interested in hearing some good noise bands but don`t really know where to start really.Merzbow and all that stuff??-
But if that stuff sounds like Cannibal Corpse or Dieicide - i think i`d skip that area though.
For some good interesting noise(well,sounds..) - i`d reccommend a visit to the Shalabi Effect on thursday night.
Estel are billed to play too!

Originally posted by chickenham
so,
who are all these noise bands then?
where are they hiding?
i've heard some blustery rock but not a lot of noise
what's the story?

Maybe he`s referring to bands like Bastard Youth or something?Or the Metal bands about?

"so,
who are all these noise bands then?" - well?

Originally posted by Rimbaud
"so,
who are all these noise bands then?" - well?
This was discussed here already......

Me thinks it wouldn't be fair to name these bands as some of them could read the board. How would you like to log on Thumped and find a thread about how your band's music sucks...?

Back to the Topic: there are definitely some good noise bands in Ireland (we should discuss what's considered "noise" too as I think there's different views).

However, Speedy has a point too: there are tons of crappie bands that sound all the same, etc.

Besides, I'm convinced that many bands in Ireland try a bit too hard to be "cool" and "alternative" if you know what I mean... just play what you like

i'd swear i'd ever start a thread as retarded as "noise vs music"

brady you spa

this thread has NO x-factor.

andy

Originally posted by Alex
Besides, I'm convinced that many bands in Ireland try a bit too hard to be "cool" and "alternative" if you know what I mean... just play what you like

yeah they should play it "uncool" and "suck" like your band

it's ok guys! alex has me on ignore! he won't ever see this!!! LOL!!!!
hooo karesssslkh abhklabhklab

andy

'noise bands' aren't 'shit' bands...

i thought mersk had some great noises at the last ballroom. loud and distorted and messy and great.

papercop can make some mad sounds too and some of that is great to hear live..

to feel it is sometimes the best thing, it can sorta give you a prickly feeling to hear a good noise band...

alex: i think morello are pretty far away from that... you guys are very precise and you try to concentrate on melody and stuff so i can see why you wouldn't be into it....

This was discussed here already......

Me thinks it wouldn't be fair to name these bands as some of them could read the board. How would you like to log on Thumped and find a thread about how your band's music sucks...?

I think people are asking who the "noise" bands are cause they like noise music and want to see some noise bands. Nobody is having a go at anyone.

except Dragon Ninja.. who is having a go at the universe

maybe they like playing cool and alternative music?

Originally posted by the pope
noise bands aren't shit bands...

i thought mersk had some great noises at the last ballroom. loud and distorted and messy and great.

papercop can make some mad noises too and some of that is great to hear live..

to feel it is sometimes the best thing, it can sorta give you a prickly feeling to hear a good noise band...

alex: i think morello are pretty far from a noise band but... you guys are very precise and you try to concentrate on melody and stuff so i can see why you wouldn't be into it....

Didn't hear Maersk yet. Saw papercop twice, once at the music room and once at Ballroom. Really enjoyed the first time, found them a bit repeatitive the second (no offence Lizzie!), the singer has a very particular voice even though he could "sing" more.

Pope. despite what I'm doing with Morello, I've been listening to quite a lot of noisy stuff and I really like it. Italian Marlene Kuntz are fucking deadly for instance, check them out: http://www.121music.com/pages/cd40/mk.html (the official site is in Italian, sorry...)

Some of them do, definitely. Nonetheless I can't help having this feeling that many just do it to "feel" cool... sorry, that's just me.

whats wrong with feeling cool?

I think anyone who gets up on stage to do anything is automatically looking for peoples approval. Wether its to play nice acousticy ballads the mean with all their heart or to get up and wreck a heap of noise and jumping about on peoples heads.

The common denominator of anyone who gets up in front of an audience is that they want people to look at them, and for whatever reason, think they're "cool" and approve of, or in some cases just simply react to, what they're doing.

Originally posted by Pantone247
whats wrong with feeling cool?

I think anyone who gets up on stage to do anything is automatically looking for peoples approval. Wether its to play nice acousticy ballads the mean with all their heart or to get up and wreck a heap of noise and jumping about on peoples heads.

The common denominator of anyone who gets up in front of an audience is that they want people to look at them, and for whatever reason, think they're "cool" and approve of, or in some cases just simply react to, what they're doing.
What you say is all true. Everybody on stage is looking for recognition (me too!) and this is totally normal considered all the time and energy invested to put a band and their music together.

Despite this, one thing is playing the music you like and feeling "cool" because people enjoy it. A much different thing is just trying to be as weird as possible because "weird is cool". If you remember we discussed this already and you know what sort of bands I'm talking about so... I believe you can see my point, then you're free to disagree of course! :)

Originally posted by Pantone247
I think anyone who gets up on stage to do anything is automatically looking for peoples approval.

I'm not so sure.
I've said this before, but ...
Art is about communication ... and communication is pushing buttons inside someone else's head. The words you utter push certain buttons inside your listener's heads and (hopefully) affect their brain in such a way that they can understand what it is you are trying to get across. Art is less direct, but similar ... and I think performing is more a struggle to communicate than a quest for approval. People approve because they 'get' your message and can relate to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back