Noise v. Music / The ol' self-abuse (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by Speed Racer
You don't have to have any particular chord standards in your songs, just use them as a guide or contrast for the melody thats in your head. So if your brain is coming up with melodies which really need augmented fifths to realise the song, so be it. I'm personally just tired of the noise passing off as music. Seems like a cop out to me. So many bands do it nowadays, I believe in discipline, thru lots of discipline comes new direction.

Bands of the 60 and 70's were WAAAY more competant instrumentalists than bands nowadays. And they made albums once a year, not every 3 or 4.

...peole said that about picasso. "looks like a childs drawing" "what a cop out" " I could do that" problem is people don't do it, and just because you see it as a cop out to play a certain kind of music doesn't mean the people who do don't take it very serious, and have made a concerted decision to play what they are playing..it doesn't mean that they are not capable of sitting down and writing verse chorus verse song. I've done that I didn't get as much out of it as the music im interested at the moment.

X FACTOR

x10.jpg

YEAH!!! SUCK IT!!!

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
...peole said that about picasso. "looks like a childs drawing" "what a cop out" " I could do that" problem is people don't do it, and just because you see it as a cop out to play a certain kind of music doesn't mean the people who do don't take it very serious, and have made a concerted decision to play what they are playing..it doesn't mean that they are not capable of sitting down and writing verse chorus verse song. I've done that I didn't get as much out of it as the music im interested at the moment.

I've done this 'Art' argument before. What I'm saying is that, if everybody is making this noise music, and its been goin on a few years, some people get very bored of it, and want something different. Now I'm saying nobody's mind concocts the same melodies every time, we're individuals, so I'd like to see people write more individual music, with unmistakeable signatures in their songs. Thats interesting to me. Did you see that program on Leonardo Da Vinci on sundays on BBC? What I found really interesting was that he grew up as an artist constantly trying to improve himself, but never reading the classic books of scholars at the time, he didn't have much of an education. This only made his ideas and theories even more original. Nobody influenced him really that much, so he was never hindered.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
so I'd like to see people write more individual music, with unmistakeable signatures in their songs. Thats interesting to me.

!ironyyy

I heard those mp3's on your web-site.

..seriously thought speed listen to yourself "this noise music" it's just MUSIC end of story. And not everybody is playing the same stuff! there is now more diversity in music then ever their was..you seem to be in love with the 60's and 70's music and that's cool..but most music then was pretty similar bar some acts like kraftwerk and tangerine dream...now we have loads of electronic and instumental bands even in the charts! I don't see why you have such a chip about this all of a sudden or should I bring up that thread where you said papercop were in your top three bands in dublin a while back?;)

Originally posted by enchance
!ironyyy

I heard those mp3's on your web-site.

Oh no. How hurtful.............those mp3's have got us talkin to a label in England so I don't really give a shit what you think. Your opinion an all. At least we don't sound like anyone else in this shithole country. I could come up with a load of symbols for the kind of stuff you're probably into.

Originally posted by snakybus
ah Jungo, you can't put my comic genius in the same bag as that lad. Sure he's not funny at all!

ah.. scabbypus.. don't be like that!

just cos i slagged off the settler?

*a 'settler' sounds like a type of floating poo.

..seriously thought speed listen to yourself "this noise music" it's just MUSIC end of story. And not everybody is playing the same stuff! there is now more diversity in music then ever their was..you seem to be in love with the 60's and 70's music and that's cool..but most music then was pretty similar bar some acts like kraftwerk and tangerine dream...now we have loads of electronic and instumental bands even in the charts! I don't see why you have such a chip about this all of a sudden or should I bring up that thread where you said papercop were in your top three bands in dublin a while back?;)

True it's all music, true there are *good* noise bands in Ireland (Yakuza are excellent for instance) but it's also true there are loads of shit noise/post-rocks bands who sound all the same.

Everybody is good at making noise with a guitar but noise *music* is another thing.

So you both have a good point here...

..now we have loads of electronic and instumental bands even in the charts! I don't see why you have such a chip about this all of a sudden or should I bring up that thread where you said papercop were in your top three bands in dublin a while back?;)

I wasn't ever referring to your band. And I did see yiz play. And I enjoyed most of it. It sounded interestingly wierd to me. But for every band thats new and interesting, I see 10 who are shit. Thats all. Some people seem to have it, some don't.

I like loads of new music, I'm not completely hung up on 60's and 70's. Just seems like that there's more confusion about music than ever because of the technology available. The humans haven't caught up yet.

..i like you a lot. Not in a bummer way mind. carefull now your "rad alarm " might go off.

you're pretty old, right? that's cool.

peace
andy

Frank Zappa said that anything could be classified as music, even the sound of e.g. a toaster popping or a door closing and other shite like that. Edgar Varese made a weird noise album in the 1920s that was just sirens and random percussion noises.I have one of the tunes somewhere and its amazing.

Originally posted by uncle_meat
Frank Zappa said that anything could be classified as music, even the sound of e.g. a toaster popping or a door closing and other shite like that. Edgar Varese made a weird noise album in the 1920s that was just sirens and random percussion noises.I have one of the tunes somewhere and its amazing.

are you mixing up Varese and Russolo? don't think varese did anything that odd that early on...could be wrong though (happened like once before). sounds more like russolo to me and there's hardly any recordings of that 'futurist' stuff. varese is rapid though. was just listening to Desertes and Poem Electronique last night!

i think this conversation is dumb though cos i very much doubt that the people talking about how bad 'noise "music"' is actually listen to anything too harsh or fucked up. and speed racer still hasn't told me who he was referring to!
later babies,

andy

Originally posted by RAD-ALARM
are you mixing up Varese and Russolo? don't think varese did anything that odd that early on...could be wrong though (happened like once before). sounds more like russolo to me and there's hardly any recordings of that 'futurist' stuff. varese is rapid though. was just listening to Desertes and Poem Electronique last night!

i think this conversation is dumb though cos i very much doubt that the people talking about how bad 'noise "music"' is actually listen to anything too harsh or fucked up. and speed racer still hasn't told me who he was referring to!
later babies,

andy

word!..see the kids tought me everything I know. do those guys youre talkin about have a web page with downloads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back