Nice Posters for Irish gigs.... (1 Viewer)

kirstie said:
I agree, you're right. No one reads loads of blurb on a poster, at least I know I don't. But putting the name of the actual band on there prominently is usually a good start, and the venue and date. And that Dino Jr one didn't even get that right.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever read more on a gig poster than who's playing and where.
Even those one-line band descriptions, more often than not they actually put me off a gig - especially when drawing comparisons to bands I'm not into.
Sometimes it just has to be done though - I'm not above namedropping more popular bands/labels to get people in, so long as they ring true.

Yeah, she was coming from fucking MARS, that's where she was coming from.

thad wrongcock said:
deja vu. meanwhile you sit there trembling with rage, on the verge of tears. I can see where they are coming from though. A two year marketing course is more than enough to qualify you as a designer - or better yet a synergistic brand optimiser tethered to a baloon of unique selling points floating outside the box, pumping you legs so if the ballon bursts you'll hit the ground running before touching base in terms of the website.

Beak said:
Yeah, I don't think I've ever read more on a gig poster than who's playing and where.
Even those one-line band descriptions, more often than not they actually put me off a gig - especially when drawing comparisons to bands I'm not into.
Sometimes it just has to be done though - I'm not above namedropping more popular bands/labels to get people in, so long as they ring true.

yeah - arab on radar meets the fall....i should have asked for my money back!

interview2005_1.html
http://www.experimentaljetset.com/archive/neutral.html
This is the good shit right here.

kirstie said:
yeah, It looks great. But. One of the principles of good design is that the design must fulfill its function in order to be successful - i.e. that is is a GOOD design. I mean you learn that shit at the off. The function of a gig poster is to communicate information about a forthcoming event clearly. So as a advertisement, to me, that isn't working. As a piece of art, it is, it's lovely. But as a poster for an event, nope, it's not really fulfilling its remit at all.

If nobody moved the boundaries of GOOD design we would still only be able to read the most simple visual messages. Art moves those boundaries and pushes design further. Complex visual ideas can be just as effective as a standard design idea...in my mind even better.

what about the challenge of making something that looks great AND functions as it should, or the best it can? After all, design is about solving problems and creating solutions a lot of the time.

kirstie said:
This reminds me of a 'conversation' i had with a client once about their website. She wanted icons of question marks becuase she said people would be 'fascinated' and want to know more. I said no, they would not, they would be confused and not know where to click and that it was always better to be explicit when imparting information, especially on an info based site, which hers was.

She looked down her nose at me and said 'well, I am sure I am right so we'll just have to agree to disagree'
http://www.clientcopia.com/top.php

MONDOBRUTALE said:
yeah - arab on radar meets the fall....i should have asked for my money back!

Ah well, that's what happens when the support band has no recordings except two myspace mp3s that remind me of both bands.
I still maintain they sound like Arab On Radar, just a North England take on that sound - hence The Fall reference, which was slightly shite I admit.

Where you even up at the Belfast gig Andy? didn't see you about.

Beak said:
Ah well, that's what happens when the support band has no recordings except two myspace mp3s that remind me of both bands.
I still maintain they sound like Arab On Radar, just a North England take on that sound - hence The Fall reference, which was slightly shite I admit.

Where you even up at the Belfast gig Andy? didn't see you about.

just bullin, man
i was at the dublin gig

not quite sure who you is - have i met yer via harrises?

MONDOBRUTALE said:
not quite sure who you is - have i met yer via harrises?

I'm Ryan. First time I met you was in Katy Dalys with Mark. I was the fella who knocked the full pitcher of Fosters into your lap. So aye, forget about that one.
Met you another time in Chris 'Himmler' Lindsay's gaff, talking rot about some Dublin band or other. Sure at least you stayed dry that time.

haha i knows ya now! i think harris thought i was going to glass you or something
that guy.

man - do you remember walking into that random party and being surrounded by a bunch of people playing playstation? i still have hte photograph i stole
ridiculous tymez!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back