Nice Posters for Irish gigs.... (1 Viewer)

I mean seriously hot like...
image_content.php

of course it is her draughtsmanship and creative use of negative space that is most attractive..

man - do you remember walking into that random party and being surrounded by a bunch of people playing playstation? i still have hte photograph i stole
ridiculous tymez!

I do now! Holy shit that was weird, I just remember thinking "yeah, that sounds like mad fun let's gatecrash" and then inside there was some sort of friggin' game contest full of wabs. Really should've dandered up, hit the reset button and scarpered.
What was the photo? I forget.

it's a photo of this dude with a newly shaved mohawk and on the back it has instructions for some cocktail. man that was intense - me and richard bought fake cigarattes off a taxi driver - i didn't evne know fake cigarettes existed...and i'm not really racist. ahahaha.
other things i stole that night: hash from some other party, cigarrettes, a gnarly purple toy ring (which i foolishly gave away...sigh)
tribal tattoo'd guys in their boxers warning me to not throw that plant off the balcony.
memorys floodin back - ha. settin fire to a bin.

anyway yeah POSTERS AND SHIT!
didn't realise you were responsible for the nordy posters - the les georges leningrad one is dealdy

kirstie said:
She wanted icons of question marks becuase she said people would be 'fascinated' and want to know more.

Yeah, I've seen sites like that, where there's no body text, no IMG ALT text, and the
icons are all the same size, company logo in different colours... but if you mouse-over,
the text pops out... and disappears when you mouse-over the next one.

"Pretty cool, huh?" says the web designer.
"I don't have time for this kind of shite", says 99% of the audience.

to be fair, it's not web designers (or not those who take their job seriously and know what they're doing) who do stuff like that and think it's a good solution - that's the sort of shit ignorant clients foist on you and make you do as some sort of power struggle. Because 'they're a bit arty themselves, you know'.

McGonagles said:
Yeah, I've seen sites like that, where there's no body text, no IMG ALT text, and the
icons are all the same size, company logo in different colours... but if you mouse-over,
the text pops out... and disappears when you mouse-over the next one.

"Pretty cool, huh?" says the web designer.
"I don't have time for this kind of shite", says 99% of the audience.

kirstie said:
yeah, It looks great. But. One of the principles of good design is that the design must fulfill its function in order to be successful - i.e. that is is a GOOD design. I mean you learn that shit at the off. The function of a gig poster is to communicate information about a forthcoming event clearly. So as a advertisement, to me, that isn't working. As a piece of art, it is, it's lovely. But as a poster for an event, nope, it's not really fulfilling its remit at all.

yup, the single most important thing for a gig poster/flyer is that the info is easily readable. You can have the artiest design in the world but if people can't read it then no-one will be at the show and so the poster/flyer are a gigantic waste of time/money.

swingkid said:
i think someone should do that survey!

how important do people think posters are in the scheme of promoting gigs?

I've long felt the most important are here in cork are:

1. word of mouth
2. flyers (as people can take them home and stick them on their fridge/notice board/use as bookmarks/etc)
3. posters
4. messageboards/websites
5. local press/radio
6. billboards

kirstie said:
to be fair, it's not web designers (or not those who take their job seriously and know what they're doing) who do stuff like that.
A lot of the time, it is the "designer" - someone with zero background or clue in pre-digital
design disciplines, but great at figuring out shiny graphics software.

I used the term "web designer" loosely, possibly even as an insult (to the kind of person
who thinks that a cracked copy of KPT6 and Dreamweaver makes you a designer, with
no hard graft or painful experience required). No offence intended to good designers.

It's scary how many clients will be happily blinded by the latest W3C standard, or shiny
chrome gimmick, that they'll either accept bad design from a bad designer, or specify
to a good designer that they should do as good a job as they can with a Really Bad Idea.

Nice one.Dave's stuff is deadly.The one he did for the Wreck of the Hesperus/Tremors gig is cool too.He took that photo on one of our rambles in the Hills.Do you remember them Dave....?Good times:D

this is the one eilis did for it
paintin on wood - looks better in the fleshhhhh

Attachments

• gigpostersmall.jpg
    gigpostersmall.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back