Nice Posters for Irish gigs.... (1 Viewer)

beetleonitsback said:
the rinky ones for the gigs in belfast are some of the best i've seen in a long time. i even got mark to send me down a copy of the les georges leningrad one - it now has pride of place on the wall above my desk in work.

lgl_webflyer.jpg

me like. rawr.

I know its not Irish but I saw a magazine article once about Built to Spill's tour posters - they got individual artist's to do out one for each date of a thirty date tour or america. they were really cool.

Everyone on gigposters is wetting themselves over this

51736.gif

But you have to ask, what is this all about? Who is the designer promoting? Himself or the band/gig? I certainly have a love/hate relationship with this shit.

I like the snowblood, this ain't vegas and the park attack stuff. this ain't vegas looks vaguely prate-esque

18-335.jpg

"unbeatable, dont miss this poster ******" - What poster?
"if you see only one poster this summer make it this one ******" - NPE
"i couldn't get it off the wall, well glued" - the evening poster

yeah, It looks great. But. One of the principles of good design is that the design must fulfill its function in order to be successful - i.e. that is is a GOOD design. I mean you learn that shit at the off. The function of a gig poster is to communicate information about a forthcoming event clearly. So as a advertisement, to me, that isn't working. As a piece of art, it is, it's lovely. But as a poster for an event, nope, it's not really fulfilling its remit at all.

Anthony said:
Everyone on gigposters is wetting themselves over this

51736.gif

But you have to ask, what is this all about? Who is the designer promoting? Himself or the band/gig? I certainly have a love/hate relationship with this shit.

right click on it and select 'properties', then C&P the link into a browser. you'll see it then.
thad wrongcock said:
yeah, its just a red x on a white square for fucks sake.

Raclet band poster. The date and place was added later, just don't wanna scan again.

Yeah, well it's pure amateur-ish and I printed myself on a normal printer. They are ok though - I personally prefer illustration to graphic design by miles.
Like the traditional drawing methods!! ;)

image_3650.jpg

yeah but you'd be amazed at how often that gets forgotten in the quest for aesthetics. Not just in graphics, in all sorts of things. Like products. Teapots that don't pour properly, stuff like that.

thad wrongcock said:

The Dinosaur junior one is shite. It's a bit like a really horrible rip-off of saul bass, combined with some bad typography. Wheeeeeeeee.

kirstie said:
yeah but you'd be amazed at how often that gets forgotten in the quest for aesthetics. Not just in graphics, in all sorts of things. Like products. Teapots that don't pour properly, stuff like that.

something to do with the free-reign for decontextualised experimentation in aesthetic design. Similar things happen in product design where the experimentation happens while materiality is ignored leading to a blah de blah de blah

yup.
broken arm said:
something to do with the free-reign for decontextualised experimentation in aesthetic design. Similar things happen in product design where the experimentation happens while materiality is ignored leading to a blah de blah de blah

I always try to create something that suits the band(s) I'm putting on. Maybe not along with their usual visual style, but definately what the music inspires.

But. One of the principles of good design is that the design must fulfill its function in order to be successful - i.e. that is is a GOOD design. I mean you learn that shit at the off. The function of a gig poster is to communicate information about a forthcoming event clearly. So as a advertisement, to me, that isn't working. As a piece of art, it is, it's lovely. But as a poster for an event, nope, it's not really fulfilling its remit at all.

I suppose you have to look at it within it's context. We can only afford to get a3 size posters done for gigs and they often just get lost among the flourescent, text-only a0 posters that flood belfast's walls. That is maybe unless you've got something really visually strong.
I've sort of lost faith in the idea of posters actually getting punters into gigs who didn't already know about it, so I'm not really into sticking a lot of descriptive text about the band(s). They're more to serve as a reminder on the streets to people who've read the usual bios/reviews and listened to the tracks attached to all the web promotion we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back