New Coen Brothers: Burn After Reading (1 Viewer)

that was quick. When did no country for old men come out in the states?

I wonder is it just typical american editing techniques of making everything seem like a comedy or if it is actually like that.

No Country For Old Men was such a fantastic return to form. I hope this isn't another Ladykillers. Word on the Hollywood grapevine is that the script is a gem.

Saw this in Seattle. It's really quite shit. It doesn't know what it wants to be, no real narrative, characters aren't memorable, the music really stinks (straight up mainstream thriller/spy shit). It doesn't feel like a Coen Brother's movie. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

Saw this last night.
It comes across as funny without being hilarious, and with a few clever touches.
There's plenty of outsize characters to watch, and some well-chosen performances (Malkovich, Pitt and Simmons for me).
However, beneath the thin plot and epidemic of wackiness, there's a deep misanthropy about the whole thing.
Recent comedies like Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express laugh at the expense of their characters but they do seem to like them, cheer for them even.
The Coens seem to view all participants here as self-involved, sad fuckin' eejits that deserve whatever shit their petty insignificant lives bring down upon them. Less cheer, lots of sneer and not always easy to laugh at.

Thanks Tim and 7! I'm sick of the smug faces of Clooney and Pitt and now I have a some bad reviews to back up my resolve not to watch it.

Thanks Tim and 7! I'm sick of the smug faces of Clooney and Pitt and now I have a some bad reviews to back up my resolve not to watch it.

Mine wasn't a bad review.

The Coens just seem to think that humanity is hopelessly vain, endlessly needy and wholly deserving of punishment.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Mine wasn't a bad review.

The Coens just seem to think that humanity is hopelessly vain, endlessly needy and wholly deserving of punishment.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
To someone who watches very few movies, and already has scant regard for humanity, that is a bad review.

Saw it last night.
Wasn't that impressed.

It was ok but not really that funny. Lots of parts where I felt like I was supposed to laugh but it all felt a bit forced (especially Brad Pitt).

I'm sure they all had a great time making it though.

It probably didn't help that I watched Fargo on tv during the week.
There's no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back