Neil Young- On The Beach (1 Viewer)

mackle

Anyone else a fan of this album. Been listening to it loads lately and think it might be the best album he ever made. There's not a bad track on it!

on_the_beach_poster_detail.jpg

The best

I remember only having it on a gnarly 4th/5th generation taped copy for years before picking it up on vinyl in the states at a fleamarket.

Definitely not a bad song on the whole album

There's a bootleg floating around from around the same time called "Citizen Kane Jr. Blues" (I think) that's deadly, I'd say it's out there on a blog somewhere

Really looking forward to this period when it comes out on the archives

I think it's his second best after Time Fades Away.

remember when it was really dear here

Yeah, Time Fades Away, On the Beach, Tonights the Night, Zuma - such a great run of albums!

I remember seeing it in that record shop that was in a basement near the Powerscourt centre (can't remember the name) for mad money around 1996 alright

I think it's his second best after Time Fades Away.

remember when it was really dear here

It's probably not a popular choice of best album but I agree, Time Fades Away is the best. It's got beautiful piano songs (The Bridge, Love in Mind, Journey Through The Past), a couple of deranged rock songs which he probably thought at the time were catchy pop tunes (LA, Yonder Stands The Sinner), 2 hypnotically long and chaotic oil slicks (Time Fades Away, Last Dance) and his career thus far in song form (Don't Be Denied), all shot through with a boozy, druggy dread. It's perfect.

I remember seeing it in that record shop that was in a basement near the Powerscourt centre (can't remember the name) for mad money around 1996 alright

Freak Out.
Yeah - £40 was their asking price. Didn't buy it there thankfully.
Secret Book and Secret Store had a similar price tag on a copy a year or two later.

It's probably not a popular choice of best album but I agree, Time Fades Away is the best. It's got beautiful piano songs (The Bridge, Love in Mind, Journey Through The Past), a couple of deranged rock songs which he probably thought at the time were catchy pop tunes (LA, Yonder Stands The Sinner), 2 hypnotically long and chaotic oil slicks (Time Fades Away, Last Dance) and his career thus far in song form (Don't Be Denied), all shot through with a boozy, druggy dread. It's perfect.

Good description CB

I fully endorse the general sentiments expressed on this thread.

Its surprising that they with the powers that be only re-released it on cd for the 1st time in 2003. I would say it's my favourite of his along side the "Unplugged" album which isnt really a proper album but some of the finist versions of great songs.
When On The Beach came out, I never realised that it is quite so downbeat and depressing but then again I was smoking alot of good grass that summer in Galway.

Its surprising that they with the powers that be only re-released it on cd for the 1st time in 2003. I would say it's my favourite of his along side the "Unplugged" album which isnt really a proper album but some of the finist versions of great songs.
When On The Beach came out, I never realised that it is quite so downbeat and depressing but then again I was smoking alot of good grass that summer in Galway.

Young himself only gave approval for it around then, and still won't for time fades away.

This is the only Neil Young album I really 'get'. It's super. I bought the reissue a few years ago in a third attempt to appreciate Neilo, and, while I didn't become a fan in general, this album is superb.
Revolution Blues - 'mazin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back