Neil Young Archive - would you? (1 Viewer)

Oggy Pip

So the fabled Archive is out next week, ranging in price from 100-200+eur depending on which version you want.

Just wondering are there any Neil fans out there who will be buying this? On the one hand its a lavish and pricey boxset, but there is no better curator of Neil Young music than Neil Young and this was the beginning of his golden period in the 70's - a treasure trove of great songwriting and recordings

I'm at two minds myself. What would work for me is a concise double album of all the choice picks, the movies don't have much appeal for me. Its the type of thing I'd watch on Youtube once and that would do me.

However I might change my mind once I hold the thing in my hand.

41e-irTImAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just saw it in HMV, looks fantastic, but holy shit thats a lot of dough for music. Its probably worth it. Can I buy that shit on lay-a-way? I'm good for it dudes.

So you're actually get a Blu-ray player for it?? Thats dedication. Is there much of an advantage to the Bluray player?

I hear you can download future updates from it, but that wouldn't be enough to convince me.

The bluray version won't play on a normal dvd player and there's a load of extra material, updates etc. on it so that's the only version I'd really consider buying. I wouldn't mind gettin a bluray player anyway, so it makes sense to me.

If I were to buy it it would have to be the blu ray one. Don't have a player though. The price could potentially put me off though.
It's taken long enough to come out though,should have been saving.

It's the second one I would buy. Not much I haven't heard from the first one. 70-79 is when Neil really comes into his own in terms of unreleased stuff.

Evening Coconut will be reason enough. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

70-79 is when Neil really comes into his own in terms of unreleased stuff.

That would be top of the bunch. Knowing him he'll probably skip that one and head straight for mid-life crisis 80's with the next one.

I've been listening to bits of this today (no need to tell you thats its available if you look hard enough!)

The sound is flawless on the songs that I heard. "A Man Needs a Maid" through headphones was just awesome sounding. A huge, panoramic arrangment with little 'ole Neil and grand piano in the middle. Incredible sounding and just as out of place as on the album, amongst those Nashvile tunes.

I can see why "Dance Dance Dance" never made the album, but "Bad Fog of Loneliness" is a terrific song, it would have sat very neatly on Harvest.

So far not hugely overwhelmed by it but the Harvest Neil was always a bit on the blander side.

Anyone else have a listen? (Send me a pm if you need an elbow in the right direction)

More of the mid-70's stuff:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back