National stereotypes (1 Viewer)

azrial

Website
Visit site
Ignorance

"Dubh is the only American I've met that doesnt spew out such ignorance on worldly matters"

"I'd choose a frog over a yank anyday"

" 9-11 Lets Roll "

"I've met ruder yanks"

"It is quite simple really, ignorance is bliss, ask the Texans!"

Please think before you write these things...
Stereotyping an entire nation of people is ignorant and to be honest takes all of the value out of your opinions.

Re: Ignorance

Originally posted by azrial
Stereotyping an entire nation of people is ignorant and to be honest takes all of the value out of your opinions.

azrial, you speak the truth

a great many citizens of the US are against the war - maybe even most of them, that's what makes the crime of its government all the worse

so don't dis the yanks people, they are mostly reasonable, sound people. dis their government who are not

Well fine then. I lived over there for a long time and know that the whole nation isn't this way and I'm not saying that the americans are dopes, but the information they are given by their government and media is oh so very different to what we're getting. The coastal states are well informed as to what is really happening but those in the central and southern states are bombarded with US propoganda so they are ignorant to the truth. I'm not anti american, far from it, I'm just anti-usgovernment.

hey azrial?

are yu american? i was there last year, in toronto. its deadly, they speak french in that part of the states, ironic eh?

well i woder what you think about president gw bush, his uncle george h bush (he was president before in the eighties) or his vice president colin powell?

do you think they should be going to war aganst iraq and kuwait?

i think i speak for everyne here when i say nobody hates the frenchies, with there bagettes and onions and berees. but i heard they all smell bad! (only joking!)

anyway, the issue here is that you don't like the phrase 9-11 lets roll. is it because the don't ring that number in iraq?
i don't like it because america thinks it is the emergency servicxes of the world! so if you were in iraq or iran and you rang the 9-11 then they would say lets roll!

you see.

Re: Ignorance

Originally posted by azrial
"Dubh is the only American I've met that doesnt spew out such ignorance on worldly matters"

"I'd choose a frog over a yank anyday"

" 9-11 Lets Roll "

"I've met ruder yanks"

"It is quite simple really, ignorance is bliss, ask the Texans!"

So right, when will you stop with all those stupid stereotypes and start thinking with your head?

So, being Italian, I should be tall with dark hair, skin and eyes, a strong accent, eating pasta every day, loving pizza, singing all the time, look at women........ Hey wait a minute, that's me...!!!! :D

Seriously, it doesn't take that much: I'm positive just a few pricks in the States are OK with this war as well as the same few pricks are here in Europe, it's simple as that.

I am an American who believes that this war is wrong.
I am a person who protests against the decisions that the American government has made.
I believe that a nation whose population is 42% children should not be bombed today.
I am furious that over 2 million Iraqi people are in danger of starvation over the next three weeks.
But I do believe that ignorance towards the entire American population is crude and naive.
I dont belive in bangwagons...get on if you have something intelligent to say.

fair point there.
like.

but i'd slag off bush and the government more than the people.

i lived in merry-ka for a while and the amount of people who ignore the rest of the world is appaling. it so easy to take america as being the world, everything they need is there.

although i think the news has a lot to do with this... the media just show ameican stuff, unless its a war, a bomb or a human interest piece...

ya.

What's this all abooot?

Azrial...I strongly suspect that a lot of the sterotypes expressed on this thread have been more than a little tounge-in-cheek. I know it's hard to stay cool when a man your country didn't elect is murdering people half way around the world, but you're amongst friends here. Direct your indignation where it's needed.

Edit : I must be smokin' too much, man.

I am not speaking from anger and completely understand that some of it is tounge and cheek and believe me I understand that. But I felt that the point had to be made that it is wrong to stereotype especially in the current climate.
I read this message board mainly because of the music info and the intelligent converstaion that generally goes on and for the truly hilarious things you find.
But ignorance whether it be funny or not is not entertaining especially when it comes attached to the subject matter of war and attrocious human loss.
It is not in defense, I am just speaking my mind.
And I felt that this was an interesting place to raise the issue.

oh haha that reminds me of the time some girl said "so where are you from?" and i said "washington DC" and she said "OH YOURE CANADIAN THATS SO COOL WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" it was a sad day for the american race.....
heh.....

nooly....Im a dick? so suck me!

bad_penny.....OK um SORRY but no, your little online protests and all that theyre not gonna help , bush is a fuckin war mongrel, hes takin after his daddy and there aint nothin gonna stop him ....i get upset when i watch the news it makes me sick but theres nothing anyone can do cept kill saddam cuz its not gonna stop till hes dead but does anyone ever talk about how hes killed thousands of innocent people??? no....they only care that more people die, and no one will die if they let the americans through to kill saddam....tahts all america WANTS ...
people surrender they hand cuff em and let them go and say "we dont want to imprison you we want you to just go home to your families...
So dont slag the americans no one in america wants this atleast no one I know....even the marines(one of my best mates is a marine) are scared shitless, they dont want this at all hence the reason theyre letting the iraqis that surrender go.....

Here Azrial, I said I'm sure there's more sensible Americans, just I haven't been there in ages, but if I was I'm sure I'd meet more sensible ones. I was really talkin about Syb's attitude. No offence intended. It must be difficult being anti-war over there, when the US media have a government funded monopoly over the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back