names (1 Viewer)

egg_ said:
I love Spanish names for boys, like Pablo and Estaban. I like French names too, but you can't call an Irish fella Michel. Shame, really

I love Italian names, but people end up butchering them. My dad was born Rosario, and he wanted to name me Giovanna. I kinda wish they had, but people have enough trouble with my second name, so I'm probably better off.

I'd also hesitate to give a kid a really difficult name from any language, just in case they ever want to move to another country.

Oh, by the way, he wanted to name me Giovanna because I'm named after a Pope (John XXIII). Jane was the English equivalent. So, there ya go. By the time I was a teenager, the whole family had left the Catholic church. My middle name was from a relation who disowned us (hence the change). That's what happens when you name your kids after people you think are great.

egg_ said:
I love Spanish names for boys, like Pablo and Estaban. I like French names too, but you can't call an Irish fella Michel. Shame, really

A woman I worked with has a husband called Michel. Owns a car stereo shop in Drumcondra.

jane said:
I love Italian names, but people end up butchering them. My dad was born Rosario, and he wanted to name me Giovanna. I kinda wish they had, but people have enough trouble with my second name, so I'm probably better off.

I'd also hesitate to give a kid a really difficult name from any language, just in case they ever want to move to another country.

Oh, by the way, he wanted to name me Giovanna because I'm named after a Pope (John XXIII). Jane was the English equivalent. So, there ya go. By the time I was a teenager, the whole family had left the Catholic church. My middle name was from a relation who disowned us (hence the change). That's what happens when you name your kids after people you think are great.
how could people have trouble with your surname? ruffino. ruffino. what a deadly name. ruff-ee-noe. it's so simple, and yet so stylish!

jane said:
One of my favourite trends in American baby names is naming them after virtues, or places or things for which they can't be bothered to look up the spelling (e.g., Britney Spears). If I could count the number of Wal-Mart and Target employees who had 'Hello, My Name is Chassity' on their nametags, I would count up to at least 15. But I've never been much of a counter.

Theres' some frightening stuff here: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

If I were a boy, I'd have been called Stanley. Which I reckon I would have liked until Eminem released Stan. So I'm glad I'm not a boy. The end.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
If the kid thinks the name is cool, then it's cool - it's where the parent loves the name and kid hates it that it's the problem.
But you're only a kid for so many years, i'd sooner an interesting name than one to fit in on the playground.

Interesting point though jane about not people judging you by your name.

i got my names from my mums dad who checked out before i was born, laughing all the way i'm sure, - they're shite names.

i wish i'd been called rocket.

Super Dexta said:
how could people have trouble with your surname? ruffino. ruffino. what a deadly name. ruff-ee-noe. it's so simple, and yet so stylish!

ah I thought it was pronounced rough- I -know

jane?

If I'd been born a boy I would've been called Conor or Luke. Thank god I wan't born a boy.. no offence to the Conors and Lukes out there but Liadain is way cooler :D also I went to school with a Conor O'Driscoll, it wouldn't have been cool to have been called Conor O'Driscoll myself.

Cos my name is short, I'm attracted to longer names. I've always loved Abraham (I like biblical names, yo) or Sebastian for a boy, and have lately fallen in love with Penelope for a girl. A great site is www.babynamer.com cos it has the pros and cons of a name, possible nicknames that may be encountered and, get this, testimonials from people with the name. Sweet.

The downside of being called Zita is that whenever I say "This is Zita" on the phone, or any time I have to prefix my name with "is", it just sounds like my name is Ita. Ick.

Chennault and his wife Ronda have a full range of children of all ages growing up at their home in Springfield, a small town about 30 miles north of Nashville: Terr'i, 17; Stephen, 15; Jobie, 14; Joshua, 12; Zakari, 8; Johnnie IV, 7; Mikal, 6; Syerra, 4; Gracie, 3; Jakob, 1; and Nikalus, 8 months.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/12/navy.father.11.ap/index.html

Dude is 29, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back