Music that hurts your ears (1 Viewer)

Beanstalk

Website
www.myspace.com
Jesus Christ, someone gave me Joanna Newsom's "Milk Eyed Mender" album today and I genuinely cannot listen to it again. Everytime she holds a note it cuts through my ears.

Horrible. Horrible.

Anyone want to suggest other recordings that grate your ears?

Maybe this should be in the Home Recording board, but fuck it, that place is like a ghost town.

i find alot of pop and rock music extremely irritating, due to excessive use of compression possibly. i recall chutneyfarmer telling me that he found the most recent madonna album to make him feel almost physically ill in this regard.

the wonderfully peculiar and highly influential album "erector" by whitehouse features a track - "socratisation day" - that is mainly based around a very harsh use of square waves, which feels unbearably loud no matter what volume it is played at. the last time i listened to it at a moderate volume though loud speakers, i noticed a very odd and distinct "rushing" sensation inside my ears each time the tones changed. that just cant be healthy. that said, this is an album which has tones running through it that are meant to make listeners throw up (though of course the kind of speakers used for home listening are not capable of transmitting them).

anything in the genre of 'country & irish'

oh but here's something interesting - Bagatelle are re-releasing Summer In Dublin - but they're making it relevant for now. So I presume it's going to be dance to tipperary-telle.

Bagatelle are referred to as Da Baggies by their die hard fan(s).

Anyone remember da baggies' eurovison entry, Summer in Europe?

Jake Shears
Jeff Buckley
The already mentioned wainwright/newsom axis of hell

There's loads more to come, just can't think at the moment....

i hear ye on the rufus thing. i actually like his songwriting, but there's something so nasally and grating about his singing voice. fingers down blackboard.

Yeah - the actual songs are decent. It's something to do with the tone of his voice and the way the holds notes that drives me mad.

i find alot of pop and rock music extremely irritating, due to excessive use of compression possibly. i recall chutneyfarmer telling me that he found the most recent madonna album to make him feel almost physically ill in this regard.

That Pink single "Stupid girl" is one of the more recent examples of over compression...you'd think these producers would take into account the extra compression that radio stations (and especially Satellite music television) heap on a song.

I FORGOT TO MENTION SONIA AND JOHNSONS. SOUNDS LIKE SMOTHERING SHIT.

AND THE BAND THAT PLAYED IN MAXIMUM JOY LAST WEEK... THE SUPPORT BAND. THEY HURT DOZENS OF EARS. AND FUCK ME, KENNEDY'S IS A SQUALID SHITE BOX WITH THE WORST BARMEN IN TOWN.

ALLAHQUAAAANNNNNDO!!!

Jesus Christ, someone gave me Joanna Newsom's "Milk Eyed Mender" album today and I genuinely cannot listen to it again. Everytime she holds a note it cuts through my ears.

Horrible. Horrible.

maybe you should get better headphones/speakers or fiddle with the EQ.. then listen to it again and proclaim your huge mistake. its a belter.

anything in the genre of 'country & irish'

oh god. show bands and all that daniel o donnell dickie rock country/irish shite. absolute bollocks. as is all that knacker trance that include remixes of fields of athenry - you know the shite im on about.

Rufus Wainwrights voice does my head in.

me too. nasaly.

also, 'thunder-bass' music as my friend has dubbed it. that rubbish 170bpm tecno that sounds like a baby in a washing machine. DJ Amok etc.. in the words of alan partridge - 'its just noise'

unless it's as obscure as possible, i find it offensive...

actually, that album by the band stars makes me feel physically sick - i'm not sure why... doesn't hurt my ears, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back